Escapecraft: The Big Build

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
Finally, the second episode! And not on a Saturday as I'd hoped :(
That was pretty fun. It could use some work, especially in the camera department, but still good for a first time. I was wondering though, is this all the series is gonna be?
dont worry our list of videos we are working on is diverse :) its not just events and commentary ;)
Ah, good. Hopefully it won't take as much time between episodes as well, do you have a timetable?
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
Finally, the second episode! And not on a Saturday as I'd hoped :(
That was pretty fun. It could use some work, especially in the camera department, but still good for a first time. I was wondering though, is this all the series is gonna be?
dont worry our list of videos we are working on is diverse :) its not just events and commentary ;)
Ah, good. Hopefully it won't take as much time between episodes as well, do you have a timetable?
kind of. we are trying to speed up our output but its a case of "Its done when its done"
randomguy425 said:
Not at all what I was expecting it to be, but I like.
thanks! :D
 

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
Finally, the second episode! And not on a Saturday as I'd hoped :(
That was pretty fun. It could use some work, especially in the camera department, but still good for a first time. I was wondering though, is this all the series is gonna be?
dont worry our list of videos we are working on is diverse :) its not just events and commentary ;)
Ah, good. Hopefully it won't take as much time between episodes as well, do you have a timetable?
kind of. we are trying to speed up our output but its a case of "Its done when its done"
randomguy425 said:
Not at all what I was expecting it to be, but I like.
thanks! :D
Ah. Well, that's better than rushing it. Still, it's hard to get invested in a series when it's only on once a month.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
Finally, the second episode! And not on a Saturday as I'd hoped :(
That was pretty fun. It could use some work, especially in the camera department, but still good for a first time. I was wondering though, is this all the series is gonna be?
dont worry our list of videos we are working on is diverse :) its not just events and commentary ;)
Ah, good. Hopefully it won't take as much time between episodes as well, do you have a timetable?
kind of. we are trying to speed up our output but its a case of "Its done when its done"
randomguy425 said:
Not at all what I was expecting it to be, but I like.
thanks! :D
Ah. Well, that's better than rushing it. Still, it's hard to get invested in a series when it's only on once a month.
i completly understand that. but this isnt a job to us. its closer to a labour of love :).
 

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
vallorn said:
GeorgW said:
Finally, the second episode! And not on a Saturday as I'd hoped :(
That was pretty fun. It could use some work, especially in the camera department, but still good for a first time. I was wondering though, is this all the series is gonna be?
dont worry our list of videos we are working on is diverse :) its not just events and commentary ;)
Ah, good. Hopefully it won't take as much time between episodes as well, do you have a timetable?
kind of. we are trying to speed up our output but its a case of "Its done when its done"
randomguy425 said:
Not at all what I was expecting it to be, but I like.
thanks! :D
Ah. Well, that's better than rushing it. Still, it's hard to get invested in a series when it's only on once a month.
i completly understand that. but this isnt a job to us. its closer to a labour of love :).
I get that. I'll just have to wait :)
 

previously_blank

New member
May 31, 2010
16
0
0
I think this narrator needs to shut the hell up and hand over the narration duties to Harrison Ford.

Seriously, though, I think someone trying to sound like a slower and more dapper'er Yahtzee (is this site based in the UK or something?) should at least learn some/edit his English and stop holding his nostrils. And work on timing. And just stop trying so hard, I guess.

If I'd done this I think I would have tried to build some kind of infinity loop!
 

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
3,126
0
0
Nice to see a flash up trollface in there.

That line in the in was brilliant. "Now if only there were better ones"
 

Alfador_VII

New member
Nov 2, 2009
1,326
0
0
Bad narrator, ill-judged camera position, and boring script. Ok it might have been less boring with a better voice, but anyway, I don't think I'll bother watching more of this series.
 

Sneaky-Pie

New member
Sep 22, 2008
1,000
0
0
urprobablyright said:
I think this narrator needs to shut the hell up and hand over the narration duties to Harrison Ford.

Seriously, though, I think someone trying to sound like a slower and more dapper'er Yahtzee (is this site based in the UK or something?) should at least learn some/edit his English and stop holding his nostrils. And work on timing. And just stop trying so hard, I guess.
Nah.

We're based in the USA. We just like having the token Brit narrate for us because, wow, you guessed it, we would love to be like a more dapper'er Yahtzee. I mean, gosh, I'm amazed you deduced that. You are a super sleuth, sir, and I commend you for not jumping to any form of conclusion based upon someone's accent and a script about people building something in Minecraft.

Really, how did you know that when we first conceived of this the thought that went through everyone's head was "Gosh you guys, how can we be more like Yahtzee in this video?" "Remember guys, let's try REALLY, REALLY hard too. We need to convince everyone we're legit. We don't want to appear lame on the internet. Serious business guys."

We need more people like you to keep us on our toes so we can more appease the entertainment qualifications that you require.

Hope you visit us sometime! (You can find our server address and web address in the video. Go ahead and watch it again.)
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
anyone else got any constructive criticism for us? please give us details not just vague "i dont like the voice over" bits because then we can use that to make our next videos better :)

and if you come onto the Server ask about Darkhaven. i have plenty of plots and free (legitimate) materials for new players :)
 

BrotherRool

New member
Oct 31, 2008
3,834
0
0
I really like the idea of the series, and I can't wait more for it. I don't think the snarky voice-over really worked very well though. The jokes didn't make me laugh and seeing awesome things like this makes me feel more in the mood for enthusiasm. If the guy was putting on a voice, I think it would probably work better without. I hope I'm not being too harsh because I really did enjoy the video

The only other criticism is that it'd be great to work a little bit on camera placement, we couldn't really see much for that video. If the camera had been a little closer and it had been sped up more you could have spent more time showcasing the things people had made.

Thanks for the video i'm looking forward to the next one!
 

previously_blank

New member
May 31, 2010
16
0
0
Sneaky-Pie said:
"Remember guys, let's try REALLY, REALLY hard too. We need to convince everyone we're legit. We don't want to appear lame on the internet. Serious business guys."
Wouldn't put it past ya!

Seriously buddy, WITHOUT WANTING TO START A RUDE AND HURTFUL EXCHANGE OF SNARLING OPINIONS, how much sarcasm can you fit into a [however long that video was] minute video? And just when did people on this website get obsessed with dynamite-sentence creamy sarcasm bombs? [Hint: Zero Punctuation] When that bodiless voice sat down to record that video, and looked at their script, or considered what they planned to say, or whatever, was their a small *piff* of light in the back of their robotic mind that squeaked out "whoa, this paper is bumper-to-bumper sarcastic slurs and grammar errors"? Did he realize he might as well have been reading a troll post from one of the escapist forums?
From Faux British Genius of the Video Narration said:
"ooeww look at thaat, we have an 4rt piece being made, wow pinnacle of civilization right there - my mind is blown and i feel inferior! I'm going to go a bridge too far and put in another sarcastic sentence about this entry! Look, strange blocks and quotes reflecting on the conundrums and contradictions of modern life, someone give this man a trophy! I'm trolling this honest and thoughtful attempt! Everyperson, write comments on this video and give me props for this!"
Look I'm not trying to single out the narrator. I'm not trying to belittle these people and/or be elitist about it, I've just written these few posts because I find the 'quick-talk-sarcasm-bomb" mode of communication that is so popular on this site to be a bit scary.

I know that I found Yahtzee delightful for the first six months or so of my experience of him (way back in early-mid 2008) but it is now just weird and children-of-the-corn like to see people resurrect his style every day on this forum or, indeed, in the other feature videos (bob at the movies or whatever it's called, sure he doesn't use the 'zero punctuation' quick-talk format, but he has a British accent [seriously does this site only hire British people when it wants an edgy review feature?], he is stupidly sarcastic, and he has flash videos with hundreds of pop culture references in them.) It's so weird when people who have obviously just finished watching five Yahtzee videos in quick succession write a post about something typical, like regenerating health, and compose their OP of one huge, long sentence, jam-packed with sarcasm and similes.

Genius of the Regenerating Health Post Post" said:
I know everyone loves their games like a Skinny ***** loves her diet pills but do developers ever stop to think about the consequences of the juicy creamy gameplay decisions they eject on to their Dollar Filled Spawn such as regenerating health? Seriously since when did ducking out of a fire fight to have some tea and scones behind a crate while you wait for the screen to regain colour and the bloodveins to subside equate to enjoyment, immersion and satisfaction in a fast paced gameplay environment? If you ask me it just amounts to sitting down eating tea and scones with giant tits and a large throbbing d*ck! Penis!

What do you think?"
In this end, this has just been a reflection of the spread of the "Yahtzee" formula throughout this website's various media.

On topic, like I said I would have tried to make an infinity loop, in which water kept flowing. I wonder if it would really work, if Minecraft has real physics or if you could trick them. Hmmm!

EDIT: oh you know what? I would have made a replica of Kyle Katarn's light saber and made water fall in a saber-shaped stream from a hundred feet above the thing, making it look like a giant lightsaber!
 

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
675
0
0
urprobablyright said:
1) The Narrator isn't "Faux British". He's actually British, and still hasn't put on any sort of accent.
2) His narration sounds exactly like his normal talking voice. Some people just have a naturally snarky way of speaking/sense of humour.
3) You must not have noticed in the credits that the person who was named as the creator of the "art" was also the person who was doing the narration. Self-deprecation is very common in British humour.
4) Movie-Bob comes from Boston in the US, and I'm not entirely sure how you mix up those two accents.

Just thought I'd point those out to you.
 

hooksashands

New member
Apr 11, 2010
550
0
0
This event made me laugh pretty much all the way through. Good coverage! I only realized at the very end he was the one building in the center, and laughed even harder.

Does anyone want to come to the Aether? You can eat these.