Escapism UK 2013 Winter Event!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
[img=width="200" height="200"]https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1083937661/EscBadge2.png[/img]
Official Twitter
Official Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapism-UK]​

Hello my sexy Escapists.

After a rather successful summer event, the organisers have decided on another knees up get together in December. [sub]They just can't get enough of each other[/sub]

After many suggestions, much negotiation, some fistfights a vote on the runner ups we have decided on...

[HEADING=1]Cardiff![/HEADING]

We're coming inside you, Cardiff!

We'll be visiting the capital of Wales between the 6th-8th December as the Christmas event and hope to see many of you there!

[HEADING=1]Costs[/HEADING]
We will be staying in the NosDa studio Hostel and prices are £46 for the two nights.

If you are interested in attending and staying the weekend, our very own [user]Revelo[/user] is organising booking the hostel when he has an official number.
He has asked for payment by the 6th of October (a week tomorrow!) so please PM him ASAP if you are interested in staying with us.
If you DO want to go but are unsure about being able to afford it in time, please PM either one of us and we might be able to sort something out.

We already have a fair few coming but the more the merrier. Anyone is more than welcome to just come down for one or all of the days but if you don't send payment or inform Revelo of your interest in coming then your place at the hostel won't be secured and you will have to arrange your own accommodation which we will be happy to help you with.
Money can be sent via PayPal to [email protected] or visit the group for more information on alternative ways to pay.

So, who's attending?

At the minute, we have no official number but I'm sure that will sort itself out closer to the time when people have booked time off/got money together/decided if they want to.

Definitely going we have: (That I know of, please let me know if I missed you out and I'll add you!)

The organisers [user]Revelo[/user] and [user]sky14kemea[/user]!
[user]EeveeElectro[/user] Me! Yes, you lucky sons of guns, I'm losing my Escapism virginity this year and want to see lots of you there!
[user]FamoFunk[/user]! We're lucky because she is from Wales and knows Cardiff very well so we won't get lost with our little Welsh SatNav with us.
[user]The_root_of_all_evil[/user] No longer an active poster but who would miss out on this?!
[user]thenumberthirteen[/user] and his lovely boyfriend [user]SharPhoe[/user] is flying out to join us!
[user]Trivun[/user]
[user]pigeon_of_doom[/user]
[user]Jedamethis[/user]
[user]razer17[user]
[user]Terratina.[/user] (At least I think? :p)
[user]The Ambrosian[/user]
[user]Andalusa[/user] and her sister (As far as I know)
[user]Panorama[/user]
[user]Daystar Clarion[/user] Yes, fanboys get your I ♥ Daystar shirts ready, the thought of laughing at me drunk was probably too much to pass up!
[user]FrostyCoolSlug[/user]
[user]Binnsyboy[/user]
[user]Cavan[/user]
[user]Aeryn Seoung[/user]
[user]MortifiedPenguin[/user]
[user]sBrice[/user]
[user]hazabaza1[/user]
[user]Kildorn[/user]
[user]Segadroind[/user][/user]

Possibly going:

[user]SonicWaffle[/user]
[user]A BigCup of Tea[/user][/user]
Elementary- Dear Watson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Elementary%20-%20Dear%20Watson]

I know there is more people on both of those lists and I'm sorry if I forgot you but we don't have an official number yet so feel free to correct me on this and I'll add you as I know of more people.

[HEADING=1]Plans for the weekend[/HEADING]

What don't we have planned, amirite?

I think the biggest thing is the Doctor Who Experience on the Saturday.

That's right, something for us Doctor Who fans!

I am in charge of this, so if you are interested please PM me, tell me in the group, tell me on Twitter, send a carrier pigeon, shout very loudly and hope I hear or send smoke signals.
Alternatively, if you happen to hate my guts or don't feel confident in messaging me, PM another user and they will pass the message on. [sub]No seriously, please message me and we can sort out any personal dispute we may have :)[/sub]
We have 7 yes's and about 3 or 4 maybe's so please let me know if you definitely want to buy a ticket so I can book by the 6th of October
If we buy ten tickets we get the eleventh free! so hopefully we can gather together 11 people who are interested. We'll be going on the Saturday 7th December hopefully between the hours of 12-3pm depending on what people want.

Tickets start from £13 (merch tickets are £31 which include some DW swag) Again, if you can't afford a ticket by then I have no problem extending the deadline or helping you out with money.
I would like to book ASAP so we are guaranteed a place.

Also: I'm making my very own female 11th doctor Copslay dress for the occasion. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?!

We are currently unsure on any other activities but we've all agreed on ice skating on one of the days. (I think they all just want to laugh at me falling on my arse to be honest).

Going out to the pubs and bars of Cardiff is definitely on the books but if you're under 18 or don't fancy it, we can accommodate you too :)
Looking around the castle is something we're hoping to do we need to work out if it's something to do after the DW experience so we can all go or if those who don't like DW can do while the rest of us are geeking out. FamoFunk said there is an arcade near the hall that you can go to if you would prefer that.

Question to anyone who has been to a Doctor Who Experience: How long does it usually last? If I know what time we'll be out, we can make plans for the rest of the day.

We're looking at museums and other attractions, if you have any suggestions, I will love to hear them.
We'll also be going out to eat so if you know of any good restaurants, let us know!

[HEADING=1]Tips[/HEADING]
Travelling by train? Book your tickets well in advance. It's also a good idea to buy two singles rather than a return.
Cheap fair finder [http://www.thetrainline.com/farefinder/] on the thetrainline.com is a good idea. (National Rail [http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/farefinder/search] has no booking fees)

Travelling by car? I suggest carpooling. Find out if you live near or pass through a city where another Escapist lives, why not pick them up? If someone is picking you up, give them money towards petrol to save them some dolla. I'm currently carpooling with Andaulsa, Razer and Sky.
Travelling by coach is a cheap, but long journey. If you want to save money I suggest that but be prepared to be travelling for a long time if you live far away.

Prepare your liver for a bashing if you're into alcohol because there's going to be plenty of it! ;) (don't forget to bring ID, and don't let me buy more drinks after I've thrown them all up!)
Into MtG or any other cardgames? Bring them, I'm sure at least one of us will join you in playing.
Bring handhelds for the journey (as long as you aren't driving!!) and for exchanging things in games.

[HEADING=1]So, in summary...[/HEADING]
Payment for the hostel is expected by 6th October
Let me know if you want a ticket for the DW experience around the same time. (I don't need payment straight away)
We'll be going between the 6th-8th December.
I'm unsure right now if there will be t-shirts or badges like previous years.
There will be cupcakes and lesbian action between FamoFunk and I
We're going to have tons of fun and you should definitely come!

[HEADING=1]Finally...[/HEADING]

Any problems? Issues? Need more information? I'll update this as more info is made available to me but in the meantime feel free to PM our lovely Spidermod [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/sky14kemea] or Revelo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Revelo] or post in the group. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapism-UK]

Hope to see you all there! ♥​

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I don't mind making some badges again. Plus I still have tons from July as well. >_>

Someone also mentioned Christmas Ornaments in the group. If I get off my lazy arse I'll see if I can come up with any surprises, but don't hold your breath on those.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
sky14kemea said:
I don't mind making some badges again. Plus I still have tons from July as well. >_>

Someone also mentioned Christmas Ornaments in the group. If I get off my lazy arse I'll see if I can come up with any surprises, but don't hold your breath on those.
We need a Christmassy design for the badges, don't forget!

Also, anyone coming from the Midlands region (mainly West but I can go a bit out of my way if needed), who wants to carpool, I'm happy to drive down and make things a bit easier. I already have one interested party who may be hitching a ride so anyone else is also welcome to join us :)

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I would love to go.

Every time I try to go to these my bank account stops all of my plans.

It does that a lot.

Super jealous.

Take a picture of the rift for me. :D

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
My crappy body is keeping me from attending... better make this a yearly thing, guys :(

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
...if you're under 18...
*looks around*
I think that's just me. :p

Also if anybody's from Southampton or thereabouts, we should formulate some sort of plan which involves travelling together, because whilst my grasp of transport systems is fairly solid, I tend to get lonely. >.>

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
I would love to go.

It does that a lot.

Super jealous.

I plan to, though it all depends on whether my camera gets stolen by the rift. Hopefully I'll get a fancy cool space one come back through though! Looking forward to seeing you at a future Escapism :)

Eleuthera said:
My crappy body is keeping me from attending... better make this a yearly thing, guys :(
You too, better make sure you've kicked your body's ass into gear so you're well enough to make it next year, can't do this without you!

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Trivun said:
Colour Scientist said:
I would love to go.

It does that a lot.

Super jealous.

I plan to, though it all depends on whether my camera gets stolen by the rift. Hopefully I'll get a fancy cool space one come back through though! Looking forward to seeing you at a future Escapism :)

Eleuthera said:
You too, better make sure you've kicked your body's ass into gear so you're well enough to make it next year, can't do this without you!
If they let you into Torchwood, I will be super mad!

I know, I want to meet people!
You were actually the first person to friend me on here. :D

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
Trivun said:
Colour Scientist said:
I would love to go.

It does that a lot.

Super jealous.

Eleuthera said:

Was I? That's pretty awesome! And yeah, I want to meet Captain Jack! Though tbh I'd rather meet Gwen. Rawwwwr...

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Trivun said:
Colour Scientist said:
Trivun said:
Colour Scientist said:
I would love to go.

It does that a lot.

Super jealous.

Eleuthera said:

Was I? That's pretty awesome! And yeah, I want to meet Captain Jack! Though tbh I'd rather meet Gwen. Rawwwwr...
You don't even remember.
*sob*

Gwen does have the best accent, although I know that's not what you meant. :p

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
FamoFunk said:
Hello, little Welsh sat-nav here!
We need an actual sat-nav with your voice, to guide us in the streets of Cardiff when you're too drunk/hungover to be accurate ;D. Although I don't have the technical knowhow to make that happen... :(

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
FamoFunk said:
Trivun said:
We need an actual sat-nav with your voice, to guide us in the streets of Cardiff when you're too drunk/hungover to be accurate ;D. Although I don't have the technical knowhow to make that happen... :(
All she needs to do is record follow these [http://www.satnavvoices.com/index.php?page=how_to_create_tomtom_voices] instructions, and we can have a FamNav with us at all times...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Jedamethis said:
EeveeElectro said:
...if you're under 18...
*looks around*
I think that's just me. :p

Also if anybody's from Southampton or thereabouts, we should formulate some sort of plan which involves travelling together, because whilst my grasp of transport systems is fairly solid, I tend to get lonely. >.>
I think that's just me and you, bud. I will happily join you on the train, but will insist on pretending that we don't know each other so we can act like we're spies on a secret mission who can't make contact lest we be discovered by the enemy.

Because what the hell else is a train for?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Guuuuaaaaaagh I might do it. I don't like spending big amounts of money, I don't focus on drinking, I don't have vaild ID, I hardly spend time away from home and I'm antisocial but I'll think about it.

Also I don't know if I'll have a job by then or whatever the fuck so yeah.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Uff expensive trips, the bane of my life. It would be nice to get out and meet all of you after nearly 5 years of lurking around this place but I have no idea what my finances will look like closer to the date. I'll update if I stumble across an unexpected windfall of freelance work that I can use to fund this that's in time for the event. (if I overstep the date and can still go I'll just organize my own lodgings)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Dudee I'm mire than happy
With staying in hostel with alcohol one night cos club every night is crap, we can play drinking games.

I'll sort thisnout tomorrow :3

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I wish I could go! I'll go see if I can wrangle up some more people though.
FamoFunk said:
It's super odd not seeing you with your twitter avatar.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
Dudee I'm mire than happy
With staying in hostel with alcohol one night cos club every night is crap, we can play drinking games.

I'll sort thisnout tomorrow :3
Go to bed Eevee. You can't organise when smashed.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Trivun said:
If anything, I'll probably be better at navigating you all while under the influence as 95% of my time in Cardiff, I am with beer in hand!

Eleuthera said:
All she needs to do is record follow these [http://www.satnavvoices.com/index.php?page=how_to_create_tomtom_voices] instructions, and we can have a FamNav with us at all times...
What if I record it all in Welsh? *evil laugh*

I like Famnav, we should make lots of Famnavs to sell $$$

Evil Smurf said:
It's super odd not seeing you with your twitter avatar.
It's super odd seeing you on the forums, despite our Twitter interactions, I've *never* come across you on here and you have a lot of post, too. Where do you hide D: