Escapist Ads?

Esseff

Aug 4, 2010
Been a while since I've been to the site, I usually visit every Wednesday for ZP's new game review... I'm not sure if it matters to most of you, specifically the admins/mods, but the obnoxious ads at the bottom of the screen which popup over everything else, and then the un-skippable ads before viewing ZP's videos are pretty much the end of the line for me.

I'm not rage quitting, frankly it's just intrusive. There's no need for it, and I certainly don't need to be coming here. I can't be the only one who's annoyed by it, just thought I'd bring it to the forefront, didn't see any other topics like this...

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
You're getting content. Without paying money. On a weekly basis.

Stop acting like you're entitled to the work of others without providing anything in return.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
as long as un-skipable adds aren't too long i don't mind, 10 seconds or so no problem, 30 seconds NO. the adds that pop up and take up half the screen are a tad annoying

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-meh.

Frankly I think it's spoiled behaviour to dislike proper ads that much.

You're gonna watch a 5 minute video and 15 seconds of advertisement are too much for you? You'd 'win back' more than 15 seconds by skipping the credits and intro video, so do you?

That said the Gaikai ads are rather intrusive. Especially the fact that they can't be exited until like 10 seconds have passed is a tad annoying, since it keeps popping up over and over again. Luckily Avast thinks it's a trojan now (you should look into this Escapist!) so it gets blocked..

But yeah, the site needs to get revenue, and if you hate the ads that much you could just get pubclub membership, which helps the site just as much :)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
poppabaggins said:

Stop acting like you're entitled to the work of others without providing anything in return.
Welcome to the internet.

[small]Also, just because something is free doesn't mean it's immune to criticism. But ignore this, it's no fun.[/small]

Esseff

Aug 4, 2010
Pessimist said:
@Headshotcatcher : Apparently they also carry a Trojan by the way.
Get your facts straight. We've addressed this issue in several other threads. It's not a virus, it's an error in definition on the part of your adblock software. We're currently talking to the company responsible and getting it fixed.

OP: Do what you have to do. We provide something for free and we only ask for enough to keep providing that product to you.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
My only complaint about the ads is that the ones before the video need to not have the delay between clicking play and the advert starting. Its infuriating to have 5-10 seconds of video play and then the advert cuts in.

Start the ads first, then the video,
Not start video for 5 seconds, start ad, start video again

every other place on the web does it fine why does the escapist struggle with that.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
How to deal with the Escapist's ads:

Option 1: Man up and deal with it. I think the ads are a small compromise for the content.

Option 2: Buy the Pub membership, it's what it's there for (plus you get extra goodies).

Option 3: Don't use the Escapist.

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
The pre loaded ads are a necessary evil even if they are too effing long. The mid video popups need to go. They have repeatedly caused the video to freeze while the audio keeps going and the thing ends up crashing my browser. That's Safari, Firefox and Chrome on three different computers.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
poppabaggins said:

Funnily enough, if a Pub Club member had been the one to post this, they would've been ripped to pieces by now. But yeah, pretty much what this guy said.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Pessimist said:
AdBlock Plus. It's the reason I still use FireFox over Chrome [and privacy issues and how the hell do things work and greasemonkey]
Advocating Ad Blockers will get you banned. The use of them is forbidden in the ToU and forum guidelines.

Esseff

Aug 4, 2010
lol you know what, maybe this is a little out of scope, but I think the culture surrounding advertisements in general frustrates me... ie: a few of the responses.

I agree that the website needs to make money, but intrusive, 32 second ads that are unskippable (which is not an exaggeration, check ZPs latest video) and bars that pop up at the bottom of the screen taking up maybe 1/5th of the page are not acceptable. And I don't think I'm being unreasonable...

Yes, I'm getting free weekly updates on gaming bullshit, sure. But it's the internet, I can get that on at least a dozen other websites. You'd think the ideal would be the highest quality product while being the least obnoxious about making money.

There's got to be a better way than this. All I'm saying is, I won't be watching ZP anymore if the ads stick around and I'm likely to visit the Escapist less. It's not a boycott, but think about it: two websites, one has obnoxious ads, one does not.

Why would I choose the one that annoys me?

EDIT: Anyway I said my piece, @Nasrin thanks for hearing me out.