Escapist Community: Books You Must Read Before You Die....

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
There are millions of books that are out there. What are some books that everyone must read before we die?

I will suggest the first; The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Eh, does Watchmen count?...

Also Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia, its a great read about the first major undercover operation made by the American Government.

madman485

Apr 10, 2009
if youre into fantasy, then The Legend of Drizzt saga by R. A. Salvatore. 13 books just brimming with awesome.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Definitely gonna have to add the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and the forthcoming A Dance with Dragons (followed by 2 more, I believe)

Sarrazon

Feb 28, 2008
According to Wiki, those would be The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. Can't wait for Dance tho. Sure taken GRRM long enough :p

Jul 9, 2008
For Sci-Fi, Ender's Game. On that subject, they just released a direct sequel, Ender in Exile (taking place immediately after Ender's Game, rather than 3000 years later like Speaker for the Dead).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
silentsentinel said:
The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. A bit of a religious book, but amazing nonetheless.
Damn it, I was ninja'd...
Still, I have to second this.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Every book! I don't care what I'm reading, I love it. I personally enjoy more teen fantasy books such as Leven Thumps or Inkheart, I'm not that into adult books.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Watchmen (if that counts), most of the Discworld series, and an absolute must:

The entire Three Worlds Cycle by Ian Irvine. It is the best series you will ever read, and a massively great epic of 11 books released with a further 3 still to come in the next couple of years.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
On the subject of science fiction I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick, definitely one of my favorites.

Also, I love the Timeline 191 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_191] 191 books by Turtledove, basically a big alt history thought experiment

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Two out of many of my favorite books.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
madman485 said:
if youre into fantasy, then The Legend of Drizzt saga by R. A. Salvatore. 13 books just brimming with awesome.
Damn ninjas, beaten me to my idea. I'll second this, the Forgotten Realms series is my all time favorite series.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Anything by Heinlein, Pratchett, Anthony (Piers, that is!), and the Lord of the Rings if you haven't. And no, the movies don't count.