Escapist Crew Wows Webby Crowd

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Escapist Crew Wows Webby Crowd

The Escapist team was at its most glamorous and witty as it wowed the crowd at the 12th Annual Webby Awards in New York City earlier this week.

Escapist CEO Alexander Macris made the best of the ceremony's five-word limit on acceptance speeches when he wittily (and accurately) said, "Escapist magazine. We have issues." We're not the only ones who considered him clever - The Times Union [http://timesunion.com/ASPStories/Story.asp?StoryID=695797&LinkFrom=RSS] noted his speech as one of its favorites of the evening.

The Escapist was honored twice, for both the Webby Award and the People's Voice Award in the category of Game-Related Website.

Hailed as the "Oscars of the Internet" by the New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Interactive Advertising, Online Film & Video, and Mobile Websites.

(Pictured left to right: Mike Capps, Julianne Greer, Russ Pitts, Tom Kurz, Boardie Kurz, Alex Macris, Sara Fields, Newton Grant, Jon Hayter)

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Very cool. You're quite the dapper group at The Escapist.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
What, where's Mr Croshaw?

Did he fly back to Oz early? Or is he just off camera tied into a Hannibal Lecter style trolley?

Congratulations to you all.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
UpInSmoke said:
good stuff. I'd like to see some of the other 5 word speeches.
Roam around the web, there's lots of coverage of this year's Webbies and many of them cover at least some of the speeches. My personal favourite, before reading The Escapist's, was Stephen Colbert's, "Me. Me. Me. Me. Me."

-- Steve

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
The_root_of_all_evil said:
fix-the-spade said:
He's the one in the red dress.
Heeeyyyyy! That's me. Ease off. Yahtzee's time table was all off kilter and he hadn't gotten to the awards show yet at the time this pic was snapped.

Feb 13, 2008
Andraste said:
fix-the-spade said:
Heeeyyyyy! That's me. Ease off. Yahtzee's time table was all off kilter and he hadn't gotten to the awards show yet at the time this pic was snapped.
Hehe...my plan worked...now we have your name and your avatar matched! Soon we will rule the world!!

(I guessed it wasn't him due to the names beside the pictures, and I'm fully expecting a kicking coming back at us from Mr. Croshaw on the next ZP; something along the lines of "Well, I didn't do a ZP last week, and to all of you complaining, FUCK YOU!".
It wouldn't be Yahtzee otherwise.

Gratz on the award though. Did you bring us back a doggy bag? :) )

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Wow, Russ seems really into it. Congrats guys.

EDIT: TOTALLY forgot I posted on this earlier. Silly me...

Jabez

May 23, 2008
This is an awesome site. It's been said over and over, but allow me to elaborate from my own experiences:

The forums are interesting (in addition to the different personalities, who happen to be more intelligent and treasure a balance in grammar and bravado (seriously, many of the other sites have people who sound like they're children or retarded, with lack of capitals, broken words, and phrases like 'l337', 'ZOMFG', and other abominations)).

The articles are well-written, relevant, and showcase a level of balls (in the case of the females, guts, for obvious reasons) from the persons writing them (some of my favorites were the interview with CliffyB and discussing Grand Theft Childhood).

The visual presentation is top-notch yet mellow and subtle in its minor touches, and who would dare to omit: original installments, such as the consistent, heady, rip-roaring, avant-garde critiques of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw in Zero Punctuation, the postmodern, tongue-in-cheek fantasy comedy in Unforgotten Realms, and the promising, critically-acclaimed web series in Drawn by Pain.

All in all, bravo and have yourselves a jolly good time! Keep up the great stuff and best of luck in the future.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Andraste said:
fix-the-spade said:
A combination of jet lag and drunkeness I assume?

Anyhow, congrats and keep up the good work.

I hope you all had fun.