Escapist Editors in the Midst of an Exodus?! -Updated-

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
Good riddance, Ross. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Might cause brain damage.
There is no need to be rude. The person just lost their job. Show some sympathy.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Neronium said:
Why is the Escapist's EiC position seem to be such a damn curse? Seriously, something must be going on behind the scene a lot that causes us to lose so many EiC. It's actually rather concerning to be honest.
Well, legend tells that a young man named Tom Riddle once pursued the position, but he was refused the job. You see, no one has been able to hold onto the Editor in Chief for more than a year since that day.

OT: Okay, I'm panicking a little here. I've lost Spill.com, lets not lose the Escapist as well. I'm surprised, I was under the (mistaken?) impression that the site was doing really well. Then the last few months hit, and it's been pandemonium.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
Darks63 said:
Carly Smith Aka roseofpostingstoriesthatcauseflamewars is leaving? Grumpy cat gives a emphatic GOOD!
Carly was an awesome writer. She wrote awesome articles and the news section will be worse without her.
Since you took the insult out I will clarify what I will freely admit was a comment in bad taste. Firstly let me apologize for being as harsh as I was in my post, but I felt like she was an instigator and people who come to places just to start shit for any reason always get me angry.

I love this site I have followed it since 2009. However ever since 2013 the due to both users, contributors, and even staff pushing various politics the happy go lucky attitude of the site has declined. It has declined due to people on the site having what I see as poison agendas. There was time when I wasn't intimidated by posting on any thread. Now with the increased toxicity and hostility in the wake of the events of the past 2+ years I often am intimidated to post.

In the Wake of the #GG firestorm what I saw was Carly writing articles which could be described as Gater-Bait. There was one point in which I noted that there were 7 roseofbattle articles the news forum all at once all of them with a ton of views/replies and most of the discussion within were flame wars. Most of the stories she put out from my view were more her stumping her own views/positions and less on actually reporting anything newsworthy.

Her writing skills weren't what I took issue with. What I took issue with is that I felt that she came to this site with an agenda. The majority of the articles she wrote during her tenure were in my opinion often inflammatory and divisive. As a result contribution to this site in my view has been to divide the userbase even more and to throw gas on the inferno that is gender politics in gaming.

With #GG losing momentum and its exile to R&P it seems like the site is starting to calm down a bit and her departure can only help that process. I know getting laid off is a shitty thing to celebrate since it happen to me in the past, but the I am seeing her loss and Tito's loss as a win overall for the site in general.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Ishal said:
Signa said:
Ishal said:
major_chaos said:
That said I really doubt politics are the reason behind this, considering Movie "there are no bad methods only bad targets" Bob is still employed.
Is he?

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/813763-gametrailers-gamefront-escapist-hit-layoffs

That said, reading the tweets from that link I snipped in your earlier post were cringe worthy. Smug is an understatement.

That said, regardless of how childish these people act. Losing a job is a serious thing. It's hard saying this... given how I feel. But I do hope they land on their feet.
Yeah, Moviebob isn't fired. I read his tweets linked there.
New Tweets. I see.

Didn't see those before.
I love the irony of him calling out shonky journalism though. It's a statement so rich it could buy New Caledonia.

On-Topic, I hope that this isn't as sign of The Escapist following the Kotaku business model... well, more than it already is. We have enough clickbait as it is, I hope the new management focuses on more editorials and less trolling.

I'm on record as not being a fan of The Escapist's management post-Susan Arendt, but I will say that Greg Tito was at least better than Ben Kuchera, Brian Ashcraft and many other glorified bloggers on more popular sites. I hope he finds a place that treats him well.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Breakdown said:
I think there's a risk that producing free content will damage the video game journalism market further.
Ummm, excuse me, but I was wondering if what at all that has to do with free generated content? Seeing as, by premise, it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with game journalism ( which be fair isn't really the end all be all anyways). Web comics for instance would be nice to have more of, and most comic artists can push their own donation or paying method on the side to make up for profits. Then there could be the intrepid flash producer, those goofy top ten things tend to have a following, etc. There's tons of people with the skills to make content, and it being free or donated content means they can have a lot more leeway on their production times and scheduling (as long as the escapist is smart enough to not argue that it has sole rights to content. You get the work for free, you should be fine with rotating those out that get big enough to walk on or pay up when they're supporting whole fandoms).

A lot of sites work like that, where each producer might make one or two videos or things a month, but the number of providers keeps the site at a good rotation on content. Hell, set each up by category, and have a end of the year contest where the viewers can vote on who gets to make partner.

The fact is, anything is better then watching that chart at the bottom of the front page wither up.

edit: I actually don't think more game journalism is necessarily bad either, just not the answer to this completely. I suggest getting a ring of competent journalists that do the leg work and run around, a few editorials and behind the scenes guys, and then round out your cabal with the carnival of collective content. As long as you keep the site broken into categories, you should be able to have just as much luck with tabletop games, news from around the world, science and tech, etc..

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I haven't been here long enough to know everyone's name by heart, and what they did and didn't do, but I do know that this site has been my most visited site, as I have previously commented. That being said, and I pray that I do not come off as "that guy", should worst come to worst, and a vast majority of people leave the site's forums, I would like to be notified as to the location of said exodus so that I may continue to read the comments here and hope that I can be seen as one with an opinion that is well known.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bat Vader said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Good riddance, Ross. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Might cause brain damage.
There is no need to be rude. The person just lost their job. Show some sympathy.
Remember folks, journalists are people too. There's no need to be spiteful.

https://twitter.com/Faience/status/558095640954433538

:(

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I really do hope everyone is able to find a new job very quickly. It seemed like Ross had something lined up really damn fast, but everyone else...

Not sure about everyone else. :<

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Archon said:
FalloutJack said:
Archon said:
While the notion of creating walking tanks with howitzers seems awesome, actually we will have tanks, infantry, and howitzers, and they will work together in a combined-arms task force. This metaphor seems sensible to me but I have been watching a lot of Robotech lately.
Sounds more like Metal Gear to me, Colonel.
Destroids, man.
What- But- And you would pass up a chance for the Daedalus Maneuver?!

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Fappy said:
Thorn14 said:
Random Gamer said:
Thorn14 said:
I can totally see this entire debacle causing advertisers to just go "Woah fuck we don't wanna get involved with this insanity" and pull out and/or not get involved. I'm not really sure if I should feel responsible or not, because this whole mess could have been avoided had the industry not constantly thrown fire onto the spark and make the worst possible decisions regarding it.
Well, odds are that several ad contracts were renewed for the new year, and that the rate was lower due to gaming media becoming less safe with all the Gamergate mess. In which case, other sites face a similar fate.
And both gamers and journalists were involved in that GG feud, which made advertisers wary of the wisdom of putting ads in gaming press. Though one could probably argue that journalists should've been more careful and shown more self-preservation when it was their jobs on the line. Of course, that line of reasoning doesn't apply with the Escapist, since the people who've been fired weren't vocall on either side and didn't make fools of themselves - that reasoning will mostly apply if other sides are hurt just as much in the next few weeks.
Right, thats the tragedy of it all, that because I suspect the ENTIRE industry might be getting hurt, journalists who may be completely ethical and had no involvement with this are suffering.
At least you have the empathy to regret the collateral damage GG has (potentially) caused. A few other GG sympathetic havens I have seen are cheering about this news.
Ugh, I made a topic on this MONTHS ago. I've never been unhappier about being right.

*points to a burn field fo ruin*

Congratulations, GG, you've won.

I disliked both sides of the debate by the end of the ordeal. It's just sad that everyone attempting to avoid the argument got brought down with the ship. Now The Escapist, which was pretty fair and open minded, is in tatters.

I didn't expect this to be relevant again so soon. Goodnight gents, may we see each other again on greener fields :'(

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Fox12 said:
Ugh, I made a topic on this MONTHS ago. I've never been unhappier about being right.

*points to a burn field of ruin*

Congratulations, GG, you've won.

I disliked both sides of the debate by the end of the ordeal. It's just sad that everyone attempting to avoid the argument got brought down with the ship. Now The Escapist, which was pretty fair and open minded, is in tatters.

I didn't expect this to be relevant again so soon. Goodnight gents, may we see each other again on greener fields :'(

I finally had to look up this Gamergate thing. It took me two tries to get it right( unless you're talking about the digital distributor or the ant, which let's face it would have been awesome if all this was, was pro-ant versus anti-ant community leaning), but having read it I have to ask. What is this, specifically, personally invested to you. Personally.

I honestly don't get how this can turn into a thing this big, as my personal philosophy is this. I play games for fun. I don't buy games based on other people's opinion (hence game journalism isn't nearly as important to me.) I can't eat, screw, or profit from gamergate, and unless you're more skilled, more kinky, or a spin doctor going on 6 months now, I can't see how this fire still burns or you profit by stirring up the ash.

One person. ONE PERSON bloody shut gaming journalism down, and turned everyone into an us vs. them mob. One. Can you imagine how this must look from an outsider's prospective, that someone calling someone else out for sleeping with someone else has created a spiral so big that it's lasted 6 months? By now everyone has a leaning and opinion, and I'm sure neither side is completely right as things are never black and white. Hell, I've noticed that it's spread to hold numerous different concepts under it's banner. A movement that means everything and nothing to everyone.

The guys that make money off of game journalism, they have a dog in that fight. It's their job to work at being better people, ethically speaking. It's them you can flock to or walk away from, but your choice and responsibility is only in the content you follow and the revenue you bring to them. They make something, you buy it (either with money or time). A lot of people are about to lose their jobs based on a fight they neither started or had any right to be in because the fans keep bringing it to their door. That.. That kinda needs to end people, I'm sure we're smart enough to know how insanity works. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It's been 6 months, and where you are today is where you'll end up in another 6 months. Everyone is already hard set, and you aren't going to break the mold by keep hitting it with a hammer (your personal opinion or belief).

The more "the end is nigh" posts I see, the more I realize is that as long as you keep taking the baggage with you, anywhere you lay your head will be in a cow pie, not home. Nowhere will be better or worse the the Escapist because you're going in dragging a lot of dead horses. And that place is going to stink just as bad soon.

You want things to be better, be better and help things grow positively. Shop freaking flag waving. Clap for those that do right. I dunno.. I just can't see how people keep pointing to each other on here and blaming their side for ruining everything.

That being said, this is about entertainment. I'm ready to see this site.. hell, a lot of sites finally brush themselves off and start turning their colosseums into playgrounds. To see new content grow for the sake of being enjoyable and not because they absolutely have to have a secret meaning or beef or political gain...

Can't we just sit down and watch a funny skit together, play a few games, and have some fun instead of sharpening our swords in wait for the next grand wank to have each other at our throats? Isn't it possible to find that here as readily as anywhere else if you sit down and try?

... I'm going to go watch a Feed Dump, then I'm going to go play a video game that I bought because I enjoyed the idea of it.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Fappy said:
I'm in panic mode!
Likewise, if you know a good geeky forum for older people(I'm in my late twenties) and I really don't have anywhere else to hang out besides here. D:

OT: I think the end might be truly nigh people...got a nasty little pit in my stomach now.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Armadox said:
Fox12 said:
Oh, I agree. The reality is that both sides were assholes. I won't bore you with the details, but it got VERY ugly. There are no good guys, so I finally stayed the heck out of it.

The only reason I called out GG in particular is because they've been trying to bring down sites for months. It looks like they may have succeeded, which is unfortunate for those of us who tried to avoid this controversy.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Oh well, the ever prominent lurker that adds in some gibberish every now and again, must eventually leave the stage.
It's been fun, if Bob or Yahtzee were to start up a Patreon I'd happily invest. N'yeah you heard me right, even Bob, I like his comic book enthusiasm.

But yeah, gonna miss the ol'e girl first sorta forum I decided to join. I remember when I called the stripperific costume in Kill la Kill "power armor", ahhhh good times.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Fox12 said:
Armadox said:
Fox12 said:
Oh, I agree. The reality is that both sides were assholes. I won't bore you with the details, but it got VERY ugly. There are no good guys, so I finally stayed the heck out of it.

The only reason I called out GG in particular is because they've been trying to bring down sites for months. It looks like they may have succeeded, which is unfortunate for those of us who tried to avoid this controversy.
It's been well-established that the only reason for the loss of staff was a lack of ability to compensate them for their work.

Believe me, I don't want to come off as a hugely ardent GG-defender, but this event had nothing to do with it.

Has anyone heard or seen anything on displaced staff finding potential job opportunities?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Fox12 said:
If GG brings down this site, it would be a massive own goal, given how pro-GG leaning this site is.