Escapist Editors in the Midst of an Exodus?! -Updated-

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
IceForce said:
DeadpanLunatic said:
The site is changing to fit your demands as we speak! Which just so happens to coincide with the transformation into a steaming pile of shit. A coincidence, of course.
To be fair, GG has had Archon on their side since day one.

Want a GamerGate thread unlocked? Certainly! Want the forum rules changed to accommodate you? Not a problem!

It's ridiculous how much this site has bent for their shitshow.
They came here because no other sites would have them, and now everyone ELSE here is leaving and being forced out? This is bullshit.
Drive them out on the street. Kill all non-believers. They are tainted, they dare to commit thought crime.

That's how you sound right now, IceForce.

Truly, how dare people want to discuss something? How fucking dare they?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
It's disappointing that people keep shifting blame on the "gator" boogeymen on the site. Seems to me they just feel so threatened by differing opinions that they'd rather just leave than actually debate (instead of the usual passive-aggressive snark that is thrown around here in abundance).

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
This is the only gaming website that I actually visit regularly. I honestly don't even know what I would do if/when this website goes under. Jeez.

On a side note, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE HERE. i'm afraid...

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Davroth said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
We didn't start the fire!
We just sat and argued over who stole who's bagels while the several hundred people still stuck inside burnt alive!

... (yay metaphors)

Who took who's bagels on first?
Care to elaborate on your metaphor? It makes no sense to me.
Honestly, I'm fairly certain it's a metaphor or something but whatever.
I was just saying how at a time like this, when the very world we live on (or perhaps just one internet site) is collapsing, people still find time to argue about pointless shit like bagels and 95% of GG. Then again, why can we all just:

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
This blows. Obviously because people have lost their jobs, but being selfish, also because, of the podcasts that the Escapist offers, the 3 that I listen to are now in limbo. I mean, I'm guessing they'll continue with whoever takes over for those laid off. Ross Lincoln and the "Comics and Cosplay" Podcast was one of the big reasons why I'm reading comic books now. I'll wait to see what happens, but it looks like it might be time to pull up stakes and head for greener pastures.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Why does every forum I join ultimately crash and burn?

I love this site. I'm gonna go down with the ship. Q~Q If anyone decides to find a more stable ship let me know with a goodbye message or somethin.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
That's quite simple. We can't because this is what happens to everyone who doesn't step in line in perfect sync:

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
If it turns out that this is because of these writers' opinions on GG/SJ issues, as many are suggesting, then I will be cancelling my Pub Club membership and not coming back. Even though I would identify as anti-anti-gamergate (I think the anti side are worse, but I don't like the GG side much either) and I've disagreed vehemently with some of the things written by some of the contributors, I see no evidence that any of them did anything unethical and people losing their jobs simply because of their opinions is wrong.

I find this sad as I spend a fair amount of time here, even though I don't contribute that often. Oh well, life goes on I suppose.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Ryallen said:
This is the only gaming website that I actually visit regularly. I honestly don't even know what I would do if/when this website goes under. Jeez.

If this site goes under, I feel sorry for the poor, unsuspecting forum we're going to swarm. It will be great, they'll get all these new users and their population numbers will increase substantially and they'll celebrate the increase, then darkness will fall and we'll start demanding sources be cited and that will just be the beginning.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
IceForce said:
DeadpanLunatic said:
The site is changing to fit your demands as we speak! Which just so happens to coincide with the transformation into a steaming pile of shit. A coincidence, of course.
To be fair, GG has had Archon on their side since day one.

Want a GamerGate thread unlocked? Certainly! Want the forum rules changed to accommodate you? Not a problem!

It's ridiculous how much this site has bent for their shitshow.
They came here because no other sites would have them, and now everyone ELSE here is leaving and being forced out? This is bullshit.
Indeed. Had the rules been left in place, GG would have burned itself out here within 3 months, with all the low content posting.

It's sad, but I already mourned the loss of R&P months ago. Just put it down and be done with it. When the highest intellectual lifting being done is whining over 'sjws' and constant misrepresentation over 140 character messages, it's safe to say that nothing more of value can be lost.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Eclipse Dragon said:
Ryallen said:

If this site goes under, I feel sorry for the poor, unsuspecting forum we're going to swarm. It will be great, they'll get all these new users and their population numbers will increase substantially and they'll celebrate the increase, then darkness will fall and we'll start demanding sources be cited and that will just be the beginning.
Yeah! We won't stop until EVERY forum has arguments based on sources shown to the public! Today, a different site's forum, tomorrow, ANOTHER SITE'S FORUM! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
DeadpanLunatic said:
Davroth said:
Drive them out on the street. Kill all non-believers. They are tainted, they dare to commit thought crime.

That's how you sound right now, IceForce.

Truly, how dare people want to discuss something? How fucking dare they?
You just go on chanting that bud, and I'll go over yonder and move on to more productive things.

It's always amazing which hills you bozos choose to die on regarding your precious free speech. Picking apart somebody's life for proof of made up corruption? Right on, brother. Making a video series about gender in games? TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS GENTLEMEN.
Nice straw man you got there. I bet you barely broke a sweat toppling it.

Lay off those poor bloggers/journalists (They are free to choose which one fits them better at a moment's notice, everything else would be misogyny!!). Yeah, it's not like they incited an angry mob to kill off a game that pokes fun at the anime trope of tentacle rape and then a few months later turned around and promoted one of their friend's game about tentacle rape. This stuff never happens! And certainly it shouldn't be inspected. After all, in the perfect world, only video games by people who are on first name basis with the journalists who cover them should even be made. And it's perfectly fine to destroy the careers of people who don't, and let them rot in the gutter where they deserve!

See? Strawmanning is so easy and oh so conductive.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Elfgore said:
Hey... hey... hey. True love never dies I mean the EUNOPF will live on elsewhere. No once can destroy us.... no one.
Of course we would never allow that to happen, we'll just invade some other poor forum with our insanity! But no other forum is quite the same as this site, I love the user groups, the roleplay and forum games boards, and most of all the community... I really hope it doesn't die.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
88chaz88 said:
It's funny how Gamergate is becoming the biggest antithesis to free speech in journalism.

And by "funny" I mean "terrifying".
I find there is a concerted effort from both extreme ends of the ongoing catfight to "control the narrative" as it were, like even mention there might be anything shady in modern journalism and you'll find a horde calling for your privileged blood. Likewise, suggest that maybe games might benefit from better representation, both in game and in development teams and then you are a raging SJW clambering to take away all your shootbro games.

Point is, the whole thing is dumb. Catering to either side is dumb. People being laid off over this is dumb. It's just dumb.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
88chaz88 said:
It's funny how Gamergate is becoming the biggest antithesis to free speech in journalism.

And by "funny" I mean "terrifying".
Yes this was GG's fault because... um... sexism... or something IDK.
Can you people make up your mind? Is GG dead and beaten or a terrifying boogyman that can destroy sites on a whim. You cant have a handy punching bag and a useful monster at the same time, chose one.

webkilla said:
http://www.alienpickle.com/2015/01/defy-media-cuts-staff-at-escapist.html
Haha wow, if those guys became any more self aggrandizing and smug it would tear a hole in reality. And people wonder why I'm #GG sympathetic. Also speaking of "is he really still a thing?" Hi Matt Lees, still desperately grasping for relevance despite a total lack of appreciable talent to back up your colossal ego?

That said I really doubt politics are the reason behind this, considering Movie "there are no bad methods only bad targets" Bob is still employed. Looks more like Tito taking the standard "welp now I don't work there anymore so I can publicly express how I think my former coworkers are scum without losing my job" opportunity. Kinda surprised though Tito never struck me as the kind of person who got that butthurt about other people daring to have an opinion. It will be interesting to see if he uses new employment or a personal platform to write a big hitpeice about how Yatzee is a horrible misogynist dirtbag and the Escapist is literally patriarchy or just lets it go with a few bitter tweets.

Actually now that I think about it, I really hope this doesn't set the PC pitchfork mob on Yahtzee. Based on Let's Drown Out he seems like a really nice guy, and he has tried so hard to stay out of internet shit whirlpools, so it would suck if people try to run him out of town for some imagined fault in these layoffs.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
It aint' over 'til it's over people. Relax. It's certainly not good news, but only time will tell if it's a nail in the coffin.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
At this juncture Yahtzee could probably single-handedly kill the site if he felt like it.
I always felt like that was the case anyway but....well anyway

[quote/]Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Healthy population, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?
unfortunately no I think I posted on NeoGaf once and hated their discussion structure...destructoid just looks like a clusterfuck

ehh life moves on....

Fappy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Colour Scientist said:
start a user group

call it the Escapist Exodus or the Escapist bugout group

monitor situation and mobalise plans from there

...what the heck am I doing with my life?[/quote]

I vote for "Escape! Escape! Escape!"

Of course these days I probably spend as much time on Reddit as I do here. Easier to find focused discussion on specific topics. I mostly hang out here because of the content and because I like the web layout alright.