Escapist Expo: Q&A With The Escapists

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
catalyst8 said:
What? What are you talking about? "Bizarre baby language"?
I'm referring to various "Get your bootie moving[...]". I've possibly misspelt bootie, but 'booty' in the sense of loot is even more nonsensical.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
catalyst8 said:
Susan Arendt said:
catalyst8 said:
What? What are you talking about? "Bizarre baby language"?
I'm referring to various "Get your bootie moving[...]". I've possibly misspelt bootie, but 'booty' in the sense of loot is even more nonsensical.
You've never heard an ass referred to as a booty?

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
Bad Jim, bad bad sir Jim, Kotor 2 is made by Obsidian not Bioware :p

Nice video and very good stuff there.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Hate to sound like a broken record but these panels are just great.

Yahtzee and Jim seem to compliment each other really well. They also seem to get off on the same humour and media references.

Maybe it's also because they are dressed somewhat similar but I'd love to see a show with both of them. Probably would turn out shit for some reason or the other, but it's still something that sounds great in my head.

Also, on the subject of names in video games, I really wish the games industry would allow for that to happen.
I think the games industry as such is happy that there aren't any "superstars" any more in the games creation world because that would drive wages up. (IMO a reason why they make it harder for people to be known)

Especially (for me personally) I would love to follow some of the modellers that work in the industry.
I realise that it's rarely one person that has a say in anything in the games industry but on the other hand I'm sure there are loads of super talented guys who go from studio to studio and no one really knows that it was their skill that led to a game ending up looking as it does.
A shame really.

ninja_girl

Mar 21, 2011
I just wanted to say that I was having a horrific day until I watched the Q&A, it has swung my day around and made me feel better. Thank you!

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
catalyst8 said:
Susan Arendt said:
catalyst8 said:
[...]
[...]
You've never heard an ass referred to as a booty?
My apologies if I've spoken out of turn.

The famous quote variously attributed to Wilde & Shaw springs to mind, for example I've certainly heard of an arse being referred to as an ass in the US dialect (or a donkey in English English) but not as booty. That is at least not without thinking it was a misspelling of another children's word 'botty', or that the meaning was indeed the one defined in the OED for treasure. That it's spelt exactly the same way as another word for loot is peculiar, especially because the dictionary has no reference whatsoever to 'booty' but as a mass noun to describe 'valuable stolen goods, especially those seized in war', hence my current confusion with bootie, botty, & booty (as opposed to booty meaning loot).

Would you be good enough to explain the etymology to me if you know it, please? As I said in the sense you use it it exists neither in my Oxford nor Cambridge dictionaries, nor even in the on-line OED.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Quijiboh said:
The power play for laughs between Yahtzee and Jim was awesome.
I love how they seem to be competing with one another, yet they seem to get along amazingly well. It's an awesome combination.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I feel bad for poor Corey. I really enjoy Critical Miss, and I'm certain that he plays games as well, but there just doesn't seem to be much that he can ever add to the conversation due to the fact that he just draws the comic. He just looks like a sad, dejected puppy up there with the rest of those big personalities, but maybe he's just shy. Either way it certainly doesn't seem like he can ever get a word in edge-wise (as seen when Susan cuts him off from one of the questions when he clearly was just about to respond to it).

Anyways, another great discussion, thanks for posting!

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
catalyst8 said:
Would you be good enough to explain the etymology to me if you know it, please? As I said in the sense you use it it exists neither in my Oxford nor Cambridge dictionaries, nor even in the on-line OED.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/booty--2

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
When that guy asked about their loves and hates in their respective industries, I was really kind of hoping that Dr. Mark would speak. I'd love to know what he can't stand about the psychology industry.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
RJ 17 said:
I feel bad for poor Corey. I really enjoy Critical Miss, and I'm certain that he plays games as well, but there just doesn't seem to be much that he can ever add to the conversation due to the fact that he just draws the comic. He just looks like a sad, dejected puppy up there with the rest of those big personalities, but maybe he's just shy. Either way it certainly doesn't seem like he can ever get a word in edge-wise (as seen when Susan cuts him off from one of the questions when he clearly was just about to respond to it).

I assumed he is the type of person that Jim was talking about, the programmers who get up on stage, are clearly not used to being there, and are surrounded by more vocal and crowd-acclimatised people of the industry. In this case it was a panel, and a web comic artist, who we don't tend to see or hear, as apposed to everyone else on the panel, besides Dr.Mark (who was also a bit quiet). Anyone, besides the supremely confident, would be a little reserved. It didn't help much he was in an awkward place.

Anyway, this was a good end to the day. I haven't laughed so much for some time. I was among those that had my uncertainties about Jim when he first appeared, and now I find those were his "properly" first videos, in that format, I better understand why they weren't quite up the standard I'm used to seeing from the Escapist. He threw himself straight into a high exposure environment, and improved vastly in a very short amount of time. Now I think him nothing short of brilliant.

This is the first time I've ever seen Bob "in person", or heard him "live" and unscripted, so that really rounded off the video for me. It's satisfying to put a face to the opinions I've come to respect.

I felt there was a lot of mutual respect from this panel, and they were all amiable and thoughtful, which is to say, they all seem like people you wouldn't be -too- happy to outrun when the end comes, and the Morlocks feed indiscriminately.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
NezumiiroKitsune said:
RJ 17 said:

I assumed he is the type of person that Jim was talking about, the programmers who get up on stage, are clearly not used to being there, and are surrounded by more vocal and crowd-acclimatised people of the industry. In this case it was a panel, and a web comic artist, who we don't tend to see or hear, as apposed to everyone else on the panel, besides Dr.Mark (who was also a bit quiet). Anyone, besides the supremely confident, would be a little reserved. It didn't help much he was in an awkward place.
No need to feel too bad for me, I am a very shy kind of guy and these panels made me very nervous as they were the biggest groups I've ever spoken in front of. That and I really am not that critical of a person when it comes to media, these guys make a living off of scrutinizing all the little bits of games and I mostly just draw simple jokes. They were all so nice though and meeting up this weekend was one of the coolest experiences in my life.

But yea, being on the side kinda sucked. It made it hard to really get at the mic.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
paulgruberman said:
catalyst8 said:
Thanks for that. I admit it didn't occur to me to check North American slang. So etymologically 'probably an alteration of body or botty'. So I wasn't wrong after all, 'a child?s word for a person?s bottom'.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
catalyst8 said:
paulgruberman said:
catalyst8 said:
Thanks for that. I admit it didn't occur to me to check North American slang. So etymologically 'probably an alteration of body or botty'. So I wasn't wrong after all, 'a child?s word for a person?s bottom'.
If you only take into account the origins of words and not current usage (for example: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/booty%2Bcall?q=booty+call ), then I hope you're not surprised at frequent problems with miscommunication.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I lol'd when I heard Paul and Graham mentions The Last Remnant's battle system, I played maybe 10 hours before getting stuck and giving up on that game. They are so right, the intercept and interference system in that game makes no sense.