Escapist Expo: The British Expatriate Panel

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
The British Expatriate Panel

Why do so many British people leave the United Kingdom, emigrating to former colonies of the empire? And why do so many of them end up working in games media and/or for The Escapist? We have three such gentlemen on hand here at the Expo, and they were happy enough to agree to sit down with each other and discuss tea, biscuits, and the Queen. Or, perhaps, games.

Watch Video

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Americans say alot of crazy things but insulting digestive biscuits? That is cause for war right their. Fighting for such a nobel cause we would easily win!

capacha: forgone conclusion. Even capacha is on our side.

Al_

Aug 15, 2008
There's a law been passed in the UK, it seems, whereby almost every panel show is obliged to star David Mitchell.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Kinda pissed that I missed this. The panel was so new and replaced something that didn't happen, but they apparently never got to replace the schedule on the booklets being handed out before they were printed. So this panel didn't show up at all unless you looked at the schedule in the hall... and by the time I realized I missed it, me and a friend took that time to find lunch.

Ah well, they recorded it to my convenience at least.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
Was TotalBiscuit only invited because he happens to live in NC?
Well that and he has like 1.5 million subs, plays a lot of games, hosts a lot of podcasts and MLG streams, and generally has thrown his opinions around quite famously... some of which are in direct conflict with Jim's opinions. So at the very least I thought it'd be fun watching two opinionated brits back and forth with each other, and they made it three instead so... bonus.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Quiotu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Well that and he has like 1.5 million subs, plays a lot of games, hosts a lot of podcasts and MLG streams, and generally has thrown his opinions around quite famously... some of which are in direct conflict with Jim's opinions. So at the very least I thought it'd be fun watching two opinionated brits back and forth with each other, and they made it three instead so... bonus.
Oh I mean, I don't doubt his profile, and believe me, I'm one of those 1.5 million subs and his Polaris podcast is one of the three (including Jim's) I tune into. What I'm saying is that he has a tenuous link with The Escapist beyond his geographical location.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Quiotu said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Oh I mean, I don't doubt his profile, and believe me, I'm one of those 1.5 million subs and his Polaris podcast is one of the three (including Jim's) I tune into. What I'm saying is that he has a tenuous link with The Escapist beyond his geographical location.
He was one of many other extra guests, like Cliffy B and Insomniac Games. He wasn't even at the Expo for this panel, but for other celebrity-type things.

Another panel had to pull out, and it seemed too big an opportunity to miss to not have us three together, hence why the panel was so last-minute. Basically, this is less an Escapist panel, and more a, "We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."

I think it was a strong move. :)

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
England, the land of sitting down. As Douglas Adams (a Brit) wrote, "Man considered himself a tool maker, but in actuality his was a race of after-dinner speakers."
I wish, however, that Jim Sterling would realize that is a dynamic microphone and he doesn't have to fellate it to be heard. The overdrive is killing my ears.
How many Brits does it take to panel a gaming discussion? Four. Yeah, that's why this went so well.
Somebody send Jim a Rabbit, please. And send one to Yahtzee, too, just so he doesn't feel left out. And paste a picture of Rebecca Mayes to it.
The Nerdist is a panel show that talks about games, but it's not on television. Or is it? I don't have TV right now, so I'm not sure.
I feel sorry for that one last guy who just didn't get the five extra seconds he needed for his question. They couldn't go a minute longer? Really? It's the Internet. Not network television.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I didn't realise how British I was until after this video. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of it or not now.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
"We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."
When you say "in unison" I picture you three singing together while shitting.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
I remember a panel show called "Never Mind the Full Stops" and honestly, it was one of my favourites. It was about grammar and spelling and such, in case it's not obvious. xD

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
I love that this panel consists of three relatively well spoken people attempting to pull topics out of their asses for an hour, pretty much fantastic.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Digestives may be bland, but I will fuck ANYONE up who slags them. Good panel, chaps.