Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

With our gamer cred on the line, The Escapist will show down against Smosh Games.

Smosh Games, the team behind popular YouTube shows like Backseat Gaming [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Z8iZTNYCg], has announced that they will be in attendance at Escapist Expo on October 4, 5, and 6 right here in Durham, North Carolina. Smosh Games is like the comedic counterpart to The Escapist, sharing our love of all things videogames.

In addition to manning their booth and meeting fans, Smosh Games will be sitting on panels throughout the weekend. Check out their panels below, pick some that suit your tastes, and be sure to sit in on them for the full Smosh Games experience!

Friday 10:30am - How to Create an Online Cult

Friday 12:00pm - Cosplay 101: Breaking into Cosplay and Keeping the Dream Alive

Friday 1:30pm - The Rise of Streaming

Saturday 12:00pm - How to Start a Gaming Channel on YouTube

Sunday 12:00pm - Game of the Year

Sunday 3:00pm - Smosh Games Q&A

Sunday 4:30pm - Your Game Idea is Bollocks/Brilliant - Pitch It Anyway
Finally, don't forget to keep an eye out for details on the Escapist vs Smosh Games showdown in the coming weeks! Of course, if you haven't registered for Expo yet [http://www.escapistexpo.com/register], now's your chance. Stop on by, meet your favorite personalities from The Escapist and Smosh Games, and play lots of games.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Urrg, SmoshGames.

I really hate those guys. I have a neat browser plugin that blocks them from appearing on YouTube.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Are these the same smosh people who had a failed attempt at a top 5 show on The Escapist? Yuck.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Urrg, SmoshGames.

I really hate those guys. I have a neat browser plugin that blocks them from appearing on YouTube.
I have that plugin too, I really can care less about these top dogs and I would rather see Escapist support channels that have between 10,000 and 200,000 subscribers. The people who have 1.5mil+ really I don't give a damn about because they don't entertain me as much as smaller channels do. If there's any channel with 1m I would support, it would be Angry Joe's because he doesn't sugar coat his reviews nor takes publisher or developer bribes for higher review scores.

On top of this, some of the bigger channels like iJustine, Toby and a couple others have game channels simply because they know game LPs will sell to the simple masses, not to mention neither iJustine or Toby are real gamers. They're just bandwagoners who are in for it for the Youtube cash, not because they genuinely like games (esp. iJustine). These few are an embarrassment to real gamer channels on Youtube who do it out of the passion for loving games, not to make a quick buck on Youtube.

Vent/rant over.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Are these the same smosh people who had a failed attempt at a top 5 show on The Escapist? Yuck.
Yep, it sure is. On the bright side, it was that show that eventually brought back Lisa due to high demand. Who knows why they thought we'd like them over our Nerd Queen.

Good for the people that like them, I guess, although I'm not too confident of the number.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Just chiming in with everyone else on the overwhelming dislike thing. Seriously though, after they were so unpopular on the site, who thought it was a good idea to get them at the expo?

Jul 10, 2013
You know what's the most awesome thing about this announcement?
A plug-in that blocks Smosh has been brought to my attention. Where is it?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
The Escapist is kinda a "hardcore" games-are-art-hippie site, not much love for mainstream "casuals". My indifference to Smosh is great.
Glaice said:
.... [They aren't]... real gamers.
Define "gamer".

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Goliath100 said:
The Escapist is kinda a "hardcore" games-are-art-hippie site, not much love for mainstream "casuals". My indifference to Smosh is great.
Glaice said:
.... [They aren't]... real gamers.
Define "gamer".
*grabs popcorn*

TheScottishMexican42 said:
There's "Block youtube users 2.7" that I have, basically allows you to block any channel and its videos from appearing. Not sure if that's what they mean, but it'll certainly do the job.

OT: Yay. How exciting. A bunch of unfunny medium common denominator hacks. Certainly a match for the content that is created by/for the Escapist. Please stop.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Man, I know joining up with Alloy was probably a very informed decision, but I miss not having their shenanigans. Maybe someday.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Featuring a surprise appearance from special guest Pewdipie.

OT: From what little I've seen of Smosh, they seem like a mediocre internet comedy group. Why invite them along and not some proper Lets Players? The Super Best Friends, the Game Grumps, the Runaway Gang if they're still together, someone like that.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I use Greasemonkey with <a href=http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/156278>this to block him (as a bonus, it also blocks PewDiePie and TobyGames, and you can edit it to block others such as Smosh's main channel if you like), but Greasemonkey is Firefox only. On Chrome you need to use <a href=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tampermonkey?hl=en>Tampermonkey with the aforementioned script to block them. You can't block them using IE, but if you're using IE you probably have bigger problems.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
And suddenly I find myself a little bit less sad that I can't make it to the expo, so thanks for that I guess.

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Why?!

They haven't posted to the Escapist in ages, their show was massively unpopular and then Lisa Foiles came in and brought her show back (which does the exact same thing but way better, might I add) and it's having a huge amount of success. Please don't tell me this is simply because Alloy wants them there. They don't fit there, they aren't Escapist contributors anymore.

This isn't the Alloy Digital expo. This is the escapist Expo. What the fuck, guys? Well, now I guess I won't see any of the panels online.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Now i know that smosh holding company has bought escapist, but do they really have to invade everything now? cant they keep to thier own crap? Why are those retards popular in the first place....

CriticalMiss said:
yes, the same guys. i dare you to look at thier gaming channel "yaay. wooo. yes. wooo. wooo. aaaa" <- basically commmentary of all their gaming videos.

DewMan001 said:
Because corporations. they own escapist. and while so far they were kinda throw out by the community, they keep trying.
Then again we also got screw attack thing in there (is anyone watching those anyway?) which i guess is another consequence.

Phrozenflame500 said:
I use Greasemonkey with <a href=http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/156278>this to block him (as a bonus, it also blocks PewDiePie and TobyGames, and you can edit it to block others such as Smosh's main channel if you like), but Greasemonkey is Firefox only. On Chrome you need to use <a href=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tampermonkey?hl=en>Tampermonkey with the aforementioned script to block them. You can't block them using IE, but if you're using IE you probably have bigger problems.
Its there, and it works, wow, thank you, you just saved me a lot of annoyance on youtube. this is amazing!

DewMan001

Oct 27, 2007
Here's my rather dramatic prediction of what will happen on their panels with the other, better, more regular escapist contributors. Say Yahtzee and Graham start having witty banter about, I don't know, Papers, Please. The Smosh guys then start to just go "Yay!" and scream a bunch because, hey, it works for them on YouTube. This will, of course, slow the conversation. They will be asked if they have, at least, played Papers, Please and they will respond with "No, we don't play shitty little indie games" and everyone will leave. And Smosh won't be dropped, the Expo will just be cancelled entirely.

If you are going, please cancel your passes to let the E know that this isn't good.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well this has been received about as well as I expected. I'm not going to the Expo, but will probably watch some of the related videos. I'm interested to see if any of the Smosh stuff gets uploaded, if any of their fans turn up and how well they are received. I predict it'll be simultaneously entertaining and painful.

That EXP/Screw Attack stuff? I try to screen it out as best I can. Treat it like 'related links' or something.