Escapist Expo: Xbox One vs PS4 vs. Wii U

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Anoni Mus said:
The video seemed kinda amateurish. I expected more.
I couldn't even finish, that audio was terrible.

Anyway, as much as I like Nintendo I don't think it will be able to sell 90 million as Mr Matress said, but I do think it won't be a flop and that will way sell more than Game Cube and Nintendo 64.
What are you basing that on? The Gamecube had Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, and some semblance of third party support. The N64 had Zelda back when it mattered, and Rare. What does the WiiU have that can possibly match those?
Probably a larger audience. The number of potential customers is much higher in 2013 than it was in 2002. Though in all honesty I think the Wii U will probably reach Gamecube or N64 sales figures, not the Wii's.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
Toadfish1 said:
4 things.

One) The Ps3 was, at the very least, on an equivalent power level to the 360. It could enjoy a shared library that helped to pad out the consoles library and make it more attractive. Most third party developers have already gone on record as saying they will not make games for the WiiU, so it is nothing like the Ps3.

Two) The most anticipated upcoming game by a huge margin is the Xbox One exclusive Titanfall. It blows any Nintendo game completely out of the water in any objective comparison.

Three) No console gamer has shown any interest whatsoever in the Steam Box. All anticipation has come from PC gamers, many of whom seem to be proud of the fact that they were going to refuse to buy a Ps4 or Xbox One in the first place. It will draw customers from the PC, but absolutely none from the Ps4 or Xbox One.

Four) Price only means anything if you are providing an equivalent experience. The WiiU is providing an equivalent experience to the Ps3 and 360. As such, no, its not the cheapest console on the market, not by a long shot.
1) Not at the beginning of the PS3's life. In fact, PS3 sales at the begining were so bad that big 3rd Parties (Activision and EA) were actually threatening to drop support for the PS3 and PSP, in favor of NINTENDO. [http://www.nintengen.com/2009/03/more-third-parties-threaten-to-leave.html] Amazing how things actually change. And while I believe a number of third parties won't be heading for the WiiU, they wouldn't sell well on it anyways. Plus, Nintendo's first Party is enough to support the system.

2) Oh yeah, A new IP with 0 sales and a lot of hype is certain to outsell Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros 3DU, and Legend of Zelda U, individually and combined, which are all really hyped Nintendo Games that all have been a part of series that have sold 5 Million at least once in their life.

3) Well, there are a lot of PC Gamers, to be honest, and if it gets some good exclusives, then it's possible. This is Valve, we're talking about, and they can make good Exclusives. And we don't know that absolutely zero people will jump ship from PS4/XBone for the Steam Machine, hype and reviews could convince some people.

4) Even if that's true, then that would put the PS4, XBone, and the Steam Machine in bigger trouble as all of them are more expensive then even the WiiU! Now you can claim that they are a completely different EE (Equivalent Experience), but it won't be immediately obvious, just like how the 360 and PS3 weren't completely different EE's from the PS2/XBox/Gamecube era (Look at the launch titles for the 360 and PS3, they look like XBox and PS2 games). Nintendo, on the other hand, is already starting to release games that look Next Gen (A benefit for being the first one out the gate), and either way, that would mean the WiiU does win.
One) Threatening to. As opposed to Nintendo, where Bethesda, EA, Capcom and 2K already are refusing to make games. Like, not in the "shape up and change your ways or we'll walk", in the "There is no future in this, I am leaving now" way.

And Nintendos first party was not enough to support the Gamecube. WHat makes you think it can support the WiiU when its worse?

Two) Ooh, bit of a mistake there, you missed out the "Made by a team who made the biggest gaming series of the seventh generation" part of Titanfall.

Three) There is absolutely no incentive for a console gamer who already didn't play games on steam to get a Steam Box. It has no aspects that make it more attractive than a PC already would have been.

Four) Okay, first of all, on the WiiU producing next gen looking games, not it bloody isn't. What it is doing is struggling to make games that look as good as current gen. I have not seen a single thing on the WiiU look anywhere close to as impressive as The Last Of Us, visually.

And yes, thats why it is immediately obvious that the WiiU doesn't provide anywhere close to as refined an entertainment experience as the Ps4 or Xbox One. Anyone with a functional pair of eyes can see that those consoles are leaps and bounds ahead of the WiiU.

So the WiiU will be seen for what it is - the last released seventh generation console. That it is cheaper than the Ps4 or Xbox One is as relevant as saying that a peddle car is cheaper than a 4 door sedan. It will be a niche console bought only by Nintendo fanboys.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Evonisia said:
Toadfish1 said:
Anoni Mus said:

Anyway, as much as I like Nintendo I don't think it will be able to sell 90 million as Mr Matress said, but I do think it won't be a flop and that will way sell more than Game Cube and Nintendo 64.
What are you basing that on? The Gamecube had Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, and some semblance of third party support. The N64 had Zelda back when it mattered, and Rare. What does the WiiU have that can possibly match those?
Probably a larger audience. The number of potential customers is much higher in 2013 than it was in 2002. Though in all honesty I think the Wii U will probably reach Gamecube or N64 sales figures, not the Wii's.
Not really. If you discount the casuals who have long since left for smartphones, the number of gamers has remained pretty steady since the 6th generation. Meaning Nintendo are drawing from a similar pool of customers, but without third party support, and with the added benefit of having spit in their fan-base's face for the past 7 years.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
One) Threatening to. As opposed to Nintendo, where Bethesda, EA, Capcom and 2K already are refusing to make games. Like, not in the "shape up and change your ways or we'll walk", in the "There is no future in this, I am leaving now" way.

And Nintendos first party was not enough to support the Gamecube. WHat makes you think it can support the WiiU when its worse?

Two) Ooh, bit of a mistake there, you missed out the "Made by a team who made the biggest gaming series of the seventh generation" part of Titanfall.

Three) There is absolutely no incentive for a console gamer who already didn't play games on steam to get a Steam Box. It has no aspects that make it more attractive than a PC already would have been.

Four) Okay, first of all, on the WiiU producing next gen looking games, not it bloody isn't. What it is doing is struggling to make games that look as good as current gen. I have not seen a single thing on the WiiU look anywhere close to as impressive as The Last Of Us, visually.

And yes, thats why it is immediately obvious that the WiiU doesn't provide anywhere close to as refined an entertainment experience as the Ps4 or Xbox One. Anyone with a functional pair of eyes can see that those consoles are leaps and bounds ahead of the WiiU.

So the WiiU will be seen for what it is - the last released seventh generation console. That it is cheaper than the Ps4 or Xbox One is as relevant as saying that a peddle car is cheaper than a 4 door sedan. It will be a niche console bought only by Nintendo fanboys.
1) I already said that they wouldn't be coming back.

And Nintendo's first Party pretty much supported the Wii (With a few Exceptions). For every Skyrim and EA game that wasn't on the Wii, there was a Donkey Kong Country Returns, a Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii; Way more games that sold a lot and cost a little.

2) Oh right, Respawn Entertainment. A Quick Wiki will show you that this is the first game they're making. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment] Sure, the founders helped make Call of Duty, but that means jack all when it comes to the Video Game industry. The guy that made Doom would go on to make Daikatana, which was terrible. Odds are, Titanfall will be decent or good, but it could be terrible and tank.

And if you think Respawn is a "Team that has made the greatest 7th gen games" (When they haven't), then you should think Nintendo as the "Team that has made the greatest games of Every Generation they've been in".

3) Again, we don't know that.

4) Please take a look [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUmcnu0ryA] At the Fallowing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnCX3FJLGwg] Gameplay Trailers [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9E7PcxduM]. If you think those look like 7th Gen Games, then I don't think I have anything further to say.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
Toadfish1 said:

1) I already said that they wouldn't be coming back.

And Nintendo's first Party pretty much supported the Wii (With a few Exceptions). For every Skyrim and EA game that wasn't on the Wii, there was a Donkey Kong Country Returns, a Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii; Way more games that sold a lot and cost a little.

2) Oh right, Respawn Entertainment. A Quick Wiki will show you that this is the first game they're making. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment] Sure, the founders helped make Call of Duty, but that means jack all when it comes to the Video Game industry. The guy that made Doom would go on to make Daikatana, which was terrible. Odds are, Titanfall will be decent or good, but it could be terrible and tank.

And if you think Respawn is a "Team that has made the greatest 7th gen games" (When they haven't), then you should think Nintendo as the "Team that has made the greatest games of Every Generation they've been in".

3) Again, we don't know that.

4) Please take a look [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUmcnu0ryA] At the Fallowing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnCX3FJLGwg] Gameplay Trailers [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9E7PcxduM]. If you think those look like 7th Gen Games, then I don't think I have anything further to say.
One)No, casuals supported the Wii. Casuals who have long since abandoned Nintendo.

Two) A quicker Wiki will tell you that Respawn is made up of two thirds of the founders of Infinity Ward. A quick googling would reveal that the game has been playable at 5 major industry events, getting near unanimous praise from all of them. There is virtually no chance of the game not being as good as the previews make it out to be.

As for trying to use your opinions to win an argument about whether or not Call of Duty was the biggest franchise of the generation and sold over 100 million copies in about 5 years, yeah, thats not gonna work, even if I did think Nintendo had made a better than average game since 2001 (and they haven't).

Three)Basic logic tells us that.

Four) Good, because it appears you don't even understand what you're talking about. We're talking about graphical achievement and technical superiority, not how many anime cliches you can jam into the games trailer. Lets compare X with Lightning returns, Mario Kart with LBP Karting, and Bayonetta 2 with MGR Revengeance. None look even the tiniest bit more technically impressive or graphically advanced. Not in any way. Go ahead - you can't find better draw distance, character model detail, or framerate in those games. And now you will attempt to say that graphics don't matter, despite the entire argument being how the WiiU ;looks shit compared to the Ps4 and Xbox One.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
One)No, casuals supported the Wii. Casuals who have long since abandoned Nintendo.

Two) A quicker Wiki will tell you that Respawn is made up of two thirds of the founders of Infinity Ward. A quick googling would reveal that the game has been playable at 5 major industry events, getting near unanimous praise from all of them. There is virtually no chance of the game not being as good as the previews make it out to be.

As for trying to use your opinions to win an argument about whether or not Call of Duty was the biggest franchise of the generation and sold over 100 million copies in about 5 years, yeah, thats not gonna work, even if I did think Nintendo had made a better than average game since 2001 (and they haven't).

Four) Good, because it appears you don't even understand what you're talking about. We're talking about graphical achievement and technical superiority, not how many anime cliches you can jam into the games trailer. Lets compare X with Lightning returns, Mario Kart with LBP Karting, and Bayonetta 2 with MGR Revengeance. None look even the tiniest bit more technically impressive or graphically advanced. Not in any way. Go ahead - you can't find better draw distance, character model detail, or framerate in those games. And now you will attempt to say that graphics don't matter, despite the entire argument being how the WiiU ;looks shit compared to the Ps4 and Xbox One.
1) Yeah, that's why Donkey Kong Returns sold 5 Million, Kirby's Epic Yarn sold 2.17 Million, Kirby's Return To Dreamland Sold 1.5 Million, LoZ: SS sold 3.7 Million, and New Super Mario Bros U has sold 2 Million, because only Casuals Supported the Wii and they won't support the WiiU... Even though all these games came out in 2010-11 (And NSMBU came out in 2012), when the "Casuals" Left.

I won't even get into the 3DS showing that Mario and Mario Kart are fantastic System sellers.

2) That's what we all thought, until that Aliens Game from Gearbox proved that even Demos can lie. I'm now a lot more cautious when it comes to Demos, especially at Game Events and Conventions.

3) Basic Logic tells us that we don't know what the Steam Machine will do. So don't say "Logic Says" one thing or the other, because we don't have the Logistics on the Steam Machine.

4) Then we have nothing to discuss, cause all those games are poorer looking compared to the Upcoming WiiU Games. Say what you want, I disagree with you. And no, I will not say Graphics don't matter, because to people like you, they do. But you are blind if you don't see the WiiU Games looking better then the PS3/360 games, or your completely biased.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
Toadfish1 said:

1) Yeah, that's why Donkey Kong Returns sold 5 Million, Kirby's Epic Yarn sold 2.17 Million, Kirby's Return To Dreamland Sold 1.5 Million, LoZ: SS sold 3.7 Million, and New Super Mario Bros U has sold 2 Million, because only Casuals Supported the Wii and they won't support the WiiU... Even though all these games came out in 2010-11 (And NSMBU came out in 2012), when the "Casuals" Left.

I won't even get into the 3DS showing that Mario and Mario Kart are fantastic System sellers.

2) That's what we all thought, until that Aliens Game from Gearbox proved that even Demos can lie. I'm now a lot more cautious when it comes to Demos, especially at Game Events and Conventions.

3) Basic Logic tells us that we don't know what the Steam Machine will do. So don't say "Logic Says" one thing or the other, because we don't have the Logistics on the Steam Machine.

4) Then we have nothing to discuss, cause all those games are poorer looking compared to the Upcoming WiiU Games. Say what you want, I disagree with you. And no, I will not say Graphics don't matter, because to people like you, they do. But you are blind if you don't see the WiiU Games looking better then the PS3/360 games, or your completely biased.
One) Ooh, two million copies of Kirbys Epic Yarn. Yeah, thats gonna make a HUGE impact for the WiiU. Because as we all know, its not like the fanbase who buys Kirby games hasn't already got a WiiU, meaning that any Kirby game that comes out is gonna have virtually no impact on sales.

Two) Those were unplayable demos. Titanfall has been live and in the publics hands in five different places.

Three) The logisitcs don't matter since we know its stated aims, goals and abilities.

Four) Again, I note that you can't actually point to any area where, if it were superior, you could use it as an example, you can only so "No it looks better" and not back that up in any way.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
One) Ooh, two million copies of Kirbys Epic Yarn. Yeah, thats gonna make a HUGE impact for the WiiU. Because as we all know, its not like the fanbase who buys Kirby games hasn't already got a WiiU, meaning that any Kirby game that comes out is gonna have virtually no impact on sales.

Two) Those were unplayable demos. Titanfall has been live and in the publics hands in five different places.

Three) The logisitcs don't matter since we know its stated aims, goals and abilities.

Four) Again, I note that you can't actually point to any area where, if it were superior, you could use it as an example, you can only so "No it looks better" and not back that up in any way.
1) Still sell better then most games out there, and they have always made Nintendo Money. Unlike Tomb Raider that sold just as much but made jack for Square enix.

2) I still won't judge the product until it's official release.

3) Yeah, just like we knew the stated aims, goals and abilities of the Wii, but then it shattered all of that. Nintendo wasn't expecting the Wii to be as big as it was, and yet it was. It was really an experiment on their part, and it paid off in very big ways.

4) I can give you an example: They're all in 60 FPS with no frame drop and they're all 1080p (Even if they're upscaled). That already blows your games out of the water, because they're all 720p, 30 FPS games (The 360 and PS3 could hardly do any games in 1080p, and none of their games are in 60FPS).

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry for the off-topic comment. I was looking forward to this panel and hear the opinion of some experts and some celebrities, but the sound was so awful that I could not listen for an hour. It seems the sound was recorded as it came out of the room speakers. Is there a way to remaster with sound from the mics/mixer? I have tried playing around with my sound settings.

OT- the console is as good as the games it plays. The game-appeal is entirely based on taste (user opinion). Which console is best is an argument similar to what colour is best?

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
2xDouble said:
Word of advice, Escapist community... in future, when it comes to the audience participation portion to a panel of experts, just make a point or ask a question. Panels are not forums, you don't have five hours to write a dissertation on the advantages of advertising vs hardware capacity (for example). Nobody is there to see or hear you; they're there to listen to the panel and their opinions. To be blunt, be clear and brief or don't bother.
I'm pretty sure if they wanted the person to make their question brief they would tell the person to get to the point. In all honesty they came to be there as much as everyone else.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Anoni Mus said:
Toadfish1 said:
Anoni Mus said:

It's not a matter of games, if it was N64 would've outsold PSone.
Wow, I must have gone into some alternate dimension where the PsONe didn't have Crash 1-3, Spyro 1-3, Twisted Metal 2, Abes Oddworld, Tomb Raider, Tekken, FF7-9 and Tactics, Vagrant Story, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil 1-3, Megaman Legends 1 and 2, and Gran Turismo 2.

The N64 had about 11 great games, and the rest of the library was crap.Hell, people are so desperate to reach for a good game on the N64, half the top 10 lists include a photography game.

So yeah, it is about games - who has more good ones.

And I repeat, even if you think that how a console sells has nothing to do with the quality of its library, then you still haven't given a reason why people would think they need a Wiiu in their house.