Escapist News Network: Economic Weather Report

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Economic Weather Report

Jimmy Buffet announces a Margaritaville game, as the economic climate shifts into the red.
Become a fan on Facebook! [http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Escapist-News-Network/138150013118]

Watch Video

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Another fine episode. Loved the Prince of Persia movie joke and the "heavy Cloud and occasional Squall" joke.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
The weather bit was genius.

also with the PoP film are there actually people annoyed by that?

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
The Prince of Persia movie joke was probably the best part. And of course, the weather portion was quite funny as well.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
GrahamS said:
Economic Weather Report

Jimmy Buffet announces a Margaritaville game, as the economic climate shifts into the red.

Watch Video
Speaking as a Parrothead, it's spelled "Buffett" not "Buffet"

On topic, great episode guys. And when the hell is Heavy Rain coming out?!

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Margaritaville the Game, eh?

"I'm sorry, Jimmy, but your salt shaker is in another bar."

Also, El Hideo looks fierce this year. Worse than 51 Sudamis...

Yeah, I'll be in the pun corner.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I can't help but feel that the weather metaphor fell a bit flat. It was kind of hard to follow the meaning at times. Other than that, the jokes were as good as ever.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
I really think that the opening music sounds a lot like the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme.

Anyway, great job from the gang, I hope that with LRR, Unskippable and this they have finally amassed enough money to buy Paul a new beard.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Tolerant Fanboy said:

Hopefully it will come with a Wii-mote attachment in the shape of a margarita glass.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
"Nobody cares, Graham."

ENN is like the Daily Show of gamer culture. They deliver the goods of both information and humor without resorting to the kind of antics we see on Attack of the Show. As much as I like the folks on G4, LoadingReadyRun has catapulted into the lead position in my mind for this sort of infotainment.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Tolerant Fanboy said:

Hopefully it will come with a Wii-mote attachment in the shape of a margarita glass.
Note on the package: Blender not included.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I counted 25 separate weather related puns. Well done! :)
I guess it would be one of these [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HurricaneOfPuns], then?

I really can't tell what's going on, but that's because I have no audio.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Tolerant Fanboy said:

Also, El Hideo looks fierce this year. Worse than 51 Sudamis...

Yeah, I'll be in the pun corner.
IT'S A HOUSE OF FACEPALMS

randommaster said:
TVTropes.com
You get your devil website out of here, between that page and the Escapist Forums I won't get a single thing done today!

OT, I guess I'm the only person who got a good laugh out of the elephant bit. Kind of a slow burn episode but it was all really funny. Nice job! This is easily one of my favorite segments to watch here every week, keep it up!

Feb 13, 2008
randommaster said:
I guess it would be one of these [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HurricaneOfPuns], then?

You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. *waggles cigar*

Zhandarr

Apr 15, 2009
I laughed really hard at the "Heavy Rain" bit.

This is in my top 3 segents to watch here now.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I didn't know Canada did the Poppy Appeal thing too. Nice guys! As for the episode, the PoP "Are you happy now" bit was brilliant and the "No-body cares" bit on WoW.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
LOL at the square enix joke

LOL at SS Sony and El Hiedo

"heavy Cloud and occasional Squall"

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Oh yeah! I noticed the red poppy's there too.. Australia had Remembrance Day here too.. Well, obviously..

Anyway, although I've been known to enjoy the old Squaresoft games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Vagrant Story, I still found those puns/jokes rather hilarious. In general, it's true, JRPG developers -do- need to learn from the mistakes of previous games. Samey generic characters and arbitrary numbers/grinding.. Luckily, FFXIV Online won't have levels, much like FFX and hopefully it'll be MUCH, MUCH easier to progress than it is in FFXI Online (not that that's saying much..)

To its credit though, FFXIII does look quite awesome, with the major changes they've done already to the series.

Also, I saw no Terra reference in the weather report. Terraforma? Anyone...? Anyone? Sigh ;;

All in all, ENN is a great addition to The Escapist's lineup!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
well... this was by far one of the best episodes of ENN, loved the weather, the jokes, the puns, i wasnt even anoyed by the "beggining" and "end" where they talk among themselves

great news cast guys!

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
"Really REAAALYYY"
lol ...
good ep as usual..
but a bit down from last weeks though...

Che Marlee

Oct 1, 2009
You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. *waggles cigar*
Honk honk

Feb 18, 2009
Simply puntastic!

randommaster said:

Don´t look now, but there´s one man too many on this thread, and I think it´s you.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Of course Canada does the whole poppy thing, the pome was written by a Canadian doctor while serving.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
randommaster said:

Giving me the cold shoulder? There's no need to rain on my parade. This site can have a warm front, but there's a depression if you complain about the blizzard of MMO's.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Awesome show, I loved the bit about Warcraft, "Nobody cares!". Just wondering what were they talking about as the credits rolled and what vault are you guys from?

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
You can see a Canadian flag in the background of China XD

the prince of persia and weather report were probably the most amusing, great job

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
MrMisfit said:
Another fine episode. Loved the Prince of Persia movie joke and the "heavy Cloud and occasional Squall" joke.
yes! oh my god that had me laughing out loud (now people are looking at me funny)

littlerudi08107 said:
The Prince of Persia joke was amazing. Stupid Fanboys are never happy.
x) hahaha definitely, tho I just hope they have a lot more parkour/acrobatic building scaling than it seems right now
I never had a chance to REALLY get into the series unfortunately...

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
@Vanguard_Ex, try getting past Graham first to get to Kathleen. I think she's quite happy as it is :O

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Russ Pitts said:
Tolerant Fanboy said:

Note on the package: Blender not included.
"salt shaker not included - woman not to blame"

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Silly WoW, no one cares.
The weather skit was pure fucking genius!
and the PoP joke was really god too.
Execellent work!

Yaxley

Sep 23, 2009
Man, I don't Professor Layton is anywhere near flamboyant enough to be Oscar Wilde-ing things up, but maybe that's just me.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
What are those red things on your suits and in the weather forecast thing? :S
They're poppies. Because it is remembrance day.

Also, I'm going to get a video of that Prince of Persia joke, put it on YouTube, and show it to everyone that bitches about that movie - loved every second :D

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
The weather segment was awesome, loved the Square Enix forcast and the Kojima referances in it.
And the story on World of Warcraft, it just reminds me of the Daily Show and I must agree that "nobody cares"

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
The part with Jeremy Petter had a Canadian flag in it... strange I thought he was reporting from China.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Sir Isaac said:
ENN Crew: It's cool that you are honoring Rememberance Day (Veteran's Day in the US). :)
Absolutely. We all had grandparents in the war.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I think that the only thing missing at the end after the puzzle related issues would have been a Tetris joke.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Blanks said:
You can see a Canadian flag in the background of China
Brnin8 said:
The part with Jeremy Petter had a Canadian flag in it... strange I thought he was reporting from China.
EVERYONE knows China is in Canada! Come on guys! It's right between Toronto and Kenya!

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Blanks said:
You can see a Canadian flag in the background of China
Brnin8 said:
He was reporting live, just not from China.

kiteviolet

Sep 30, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a bit of trouble reading the picture captions, the text at the bottom, and listening to the actual news all at the same time. It seems like I would find the jokes hilarious if only I had time to digest all of them before the next batch is tossed out.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Paul's jacket seems a bit big for him.
Yeah, that's pretty much nit-picking at it's finest.

Seriously though, I think this is the best episode of ENN yet. Looking forward to the next one. And kudos to whoever wrote the weather scene.

SuperMatt665

Oct 14, 2009
Some how I wish game related things like this and G4 and use legitimately Hot women, not just the girls that are the kind of hot geeks actually feel like they have a chance with. All it does is bring out the white knights in force.

Prototype1207

Oct 30, 2008
Lol! "...I was expecting to see some Heavy Rain in there but I guess that game's never coming out."

Sauko

Nov 12, 2009
Ah, those band contracts are killers. It's quite funny how Activision's calling the lawsuit "without merit" since it's within their rights to use those avatars with respect of use/portrayal of the band. People might get a kick out Kurt Cobain singing other songs, but what about his fellow bandmates who only gave a limited use of the avatar?

Who is Activision to please: the players or the artists they signed contracts with?

Oh! the wonder's of legal issues!

[By the way: Nice touch with the poppies* (Why did I put "posies?")]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Brnin8 said:
Everyone knows China Inf will try all sorts of tricks to decieve people. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
"What is the relationship between him and Luke? That's weird" "Luke's his apprentice.""Yeah, really, really. Is that all that's going on.""Professor Layton is the bastion of all that is pure and good in a cold dark world and your sullying it."
[HEADING=2]"Hey, I'm not the one Oscar Wilde-ing things up, okay?"[/HEADING]

This before and after thing is the best part of these shows. I laugh throughout the whole thing, but this had me rolling.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
I loved that joke about Heavy Rain! Seriously, i'm still chuckling right now. MORE, GIVE ME MORE!!!

All hail the LRR team!

Ardna Xela

May 28, 2009
Those weather puns were excellent. "El Hideo, heavy Cloud, occassional Squall and Heavy Rain" had me lol pretty bad.

Jeziah

Nov 19, 2009
Glad to see you guys wore your poppies! Excellent show, as always. Do you have a website or RSS feed I could subscribe to? (If they do and anybody feels like telling me, feel free to PM me.)

Jeziah

Nov 19, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Those are (plastic) poppies. The are worn during the weeks preceding Memorial Day in many commonwealth countries and the United States as a symbol of remembrance for the good men who died (and the veterans who survived) World War 1. Their role was inspired by a poem written by Canadian physician and poet John McCrae on the desolate scene of the aftermath of one of the more well-known horrific battles of WW1; the poem, and the battlefield, was called (In) Flander's Fields [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields].
Memorial Day is November 11th, this newscast was run on November the 11th, and it was the respectful and respectable thing to do to wear the poppies.
And, I suppose you could make a slight PoP (Prince of Persia) inference in the poppies as well, but that may be going to far.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Jeziah said:
headshotcatcher said:
Those are (plastic) poppies. The are worn during the weeks preceding Memorial Day in many commonwealth countries and the United States as a symbol of remembrance for the good men who died (and the veterans who survived) World War 1. Their role was inspired by a poem written by Canadian physician and poet John McCrae on the desolate scene of the aftermath of one of the more well-known horrific battles of WW1; the poem, and the battlefield, was called (In) Flander's Fields [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields].
Memorial Day is November 11th, this newscast was run on November the 11th, and it was the respectful and respectable thing to do to wear the poppies.
And, I suppose you could make a slight PoP (Prince of Persia) inference in the poppies as well, but that may be going to far.
I see, it sure is a nice poem (as far as poems about death and destruction go :))

And good to see the ENN crew honouring this

Red Wyvren

Nov 18, 2009
Perfect, after the Wilde joke at the end I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute. (which is a pretty long time to be laughing for)

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
That weather bit was genious! I was laughing all over the place haha! You people have a real talent! DONT STOP ENTERTAINING ME OR FEEL MY WRATH!! NOW GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME A SAMMICH THEN MAKE A FUNNY AGAIN OR YOUL GET THE HOSE AGAIN!!!