Escapist News Network: Inside the Newsroom

Sir-Bearus

Nov 10, 2010
Loved the change of pace, but not sure if I would like this as a permanent thing, since part of the appeal of the old format is its resemblance a to a real news, and the formal sense of professionalism that entails, juxtaposed to the levity even absurdity of the subject matter.
I think this would work better as an occasional thing.
(not-so-crazy idea: what if you guys got a second team to do the newsroom bi-weekly, and went back to making ENN a weekly thing)

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
ENNN > ENN
It seems like less formatting yields more time for jokes. Also the comedy feels more raw - which makes it funnier. Sometimes when something is too planned out and rehearsed it looses comedic power.

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
As others have commented, it's like a cross between PhailHaüs and ENN... Love it! Would very much like to see more of this style (though the newsdesk style is also good - maybe the two kinds should alternate?)

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I like the "laid back" style but bring back your production values, if you've ever seen a British show called "Newsnight" try and ape that but casual-style.

Mattteus

May 1, 2009
I don't know, originally, ENN was very straight-faced with a lot of hidden sarcasm, then it became more overt with the reactionary sarcasm, and now it seems it's nothing but the reactionary sarcasm... the show hasn't gone in the direction I'd prefer but you guys are still funny so... I guess I'll shut up now

Eccles

Dec 11, 2009
That was awesome. I don't quite know why, but having you make up jokes on the spot and seeing the rest of the members laugh and praise your hilarity makes me laugh even harder. Its like on SNL when one actor is overly funny and all the others have to fight the laughter. Its not planned, it shows the actors find the material funny, and its funny to watch their faces. You guys are awesome in your videos, and for each of you, there are only certain situations I can think of that's funnier than watching you enjoy making comedy videos. That's when Graham is afraid of the Creepy Dolls, Paul is doing science, Kathleen is talking about her cats, and Jeremy is being Jeremy Michaels.

infinitydark

Jan 23, 2011
i became a member specifically to say that this was the best thing ive seen from you guys so far. Thank you for bringing the funny every week.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
As I watched this again, I realized something. Paul's right. Where's Oni 2?

WHAR ONI2 BUNGIE, WHAR?

Sorry about that, I just felt like being a bit silly there. I am serious about that whole Oni 2 thing.

Netface

Oct 10, 2010
Karloff said:
ENNteresting. I'm not 100% sold on it, but the format change was a nice break.

Now you've said it, I can see Barometry Wars working as a concept. You play a god with power over the weather. Your worshippers provide you with Mana, which power your abilities. You use your abilities to generate useful weather, pleasing the worshippers and hopefully increasing your Mana base. Civilization without the Civ, I suppose. Of course, in the multiplayer your fellow gods have the option of sending bad weather your way, which you have to counter, but the conflicting weather patterns could create unpredictable backlash effects . . . and here comes a hurricane to ruin everyone's day.
They made this already. It's called Populous.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Netface said:
They made this already. It's called Populous.
Mmm . . . I dunno . . . Populous was ultimately a land-shaper. I'm thinking more along the lines of a pure weather sim; the terrain map could stay constant. I agree it is close in concept.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
ENN is the best programme on The Escapist and didn't need changing.

Having said that however, I like the new format. But I think for how it conducts itself, it's natural home would be as an audio podcast. Round table discussion, with each persons take on news stories, works best in a live environment.

Also you could tell us what you're going to be discussing via twitter or facebook, and pick the funniest comments from the community. I'd love to hare what they would have come up with for the Pac-man reality TV show.

jrizzle90

Aug 31, 2010
wow! love the new format! It's a lot more organic. Dropping the ironic formal news room act was refreshing.