Escapist News Network: Quick's Picks

andrewbrownster2

Dec 30, 2009
Please try and interview Micheal Atkinson, I think that watching him sit there, his gums flailing like a fish, with no Mich would be the funneist thing that I would have seen this month.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
While not quite as snappy, hip, and fresh as Pach-Attack, I think Quick's Picks might just catch on.

Great episode guys, and yes, WOO!! to Canada's Olympics showing.

Zosephine

Dec 4, 2008
I really liked this ENN. The Quick's Picks segment was pretty great, and I like the subtle background music.

I don't really mind the pop-up too much. It's not fabulous, but I can live with it. If you don't like it, just hit the magic "close" button up in the corner.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
So the Winter Olympics were just a viral marketing campaign for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games... Now I know.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Do like: 'You are a bunch of expletive deleteds.'
Do not like: the popup window.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I still think it's weird to only have music playing during the first few news segments. Logically, you would think the ones during the music would be different to the ones after the music, but they're not. It's just kind of... strange, that's all.

Anyway, great jokes as always. Quick's picks could totally be it's own mini-series, or something.

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
Upon reading the "letter," am I the only one who thought, "Dude, have you read the Divine Comedy?? Even if the game was a straight-up adaptation of the poem, it'd be nowhere near child-appropriate!"

Or am I just a sad little literature geek?

Yeah, I know, probably both.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
LeeshaJoy said:
Upon reading the "letter," am I the only one who thought, "Dude, have you read the Divine Comedy?? Even if the game was a straight-up adaptation of the poem, it'd be nowhere near child-appropriate!"

Or am I just a sad little literature geek?

Yeah, I know, probably both.
No, I think you simply got the joke. I believe that was the point in lecturing on the educational system, it was directed at the "parents" for not knowing this and trying to randomly expose their children to culture without any understanding of it themselves.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
swaki said:
Quiet Stranger said:
swaki said:
not a fan of the new player that pops up with an add, but i did love matts segment, though i hope he will start taking real questions.

im glad that a large share of my money goes towards pony rides.

ponys rule.
What are u talking about, that WAS a real question, also I also hate this new pop up shit, its SHIIIT!!
noo, that wasn't real, people aren't that stupid, are they?
and since this was his first segment he couldn't have gotten the email.
[sub]im desperately clinging to my faith that people have common sense[/sub]
of course I know its not real, (though it does sound very real cause you know, people are stupid and by that i mean some moms DO buy M rated games for their kids thinking its wholesome)

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
unacomn said:
Loved the Michael Pachter spoof.
I second that!

Having this as an established segment for ENN would be truly awesome *hint hint*

Only thing missing is the dreaded "Hello Internet Babies!"

I'm almost 30 and listening to that actually makes me roll my eyes... over to a site that knows it's audience, like the Escapist.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Oh yes, I also wanted to say that I do not like the skinning job for a couple of reasons.

#1: It seemed to slow down the video compared to normal and the movements seemed out of sync with the voices which is not normally a problem.

#2: I can respect that The Escapist is a business and need to support itself through advertising (which allows it to maintain the forums, and thinks like Zero Punctuation, ENN, and other features), HOWEVER I think there is a point at which too much advertising becomes an issue.

I'm not concerned about annoyance so much as the fact that The Escapist is allegedly a neutral source on games, and geek culture (movies, RPGs, etc..). Somewhere to go to get a fairly unbiased opinion on these things. When you see The Escapist taking that much money apparently to advertise for a specific game it makes the abillity of it, and it's employees to remain impartial questionable. I think back to the entire "Kane and Lynch" fiasco on another review site, where a popular reviewer was let go under the cloud of his poor review of a heavy advertiser's product being responsible for the desician.

Will we see games that Yahtzee won't totally tear apart (or wind up supporting) simply due to money? Will certain titles, companies, and industry figures become off-limits to ENN?

If such things already exist it's not noticible, but I am concerned that it will become more so in the future because an advertising display of that level does not bode well for neutrality.

-

I'm just a user, but I'd prefer not to see reskins, even of features. Besides which since people come here for the reviews, and to see games/the industry ripped on in some of these features, I sort of suspect in the long term it won't be worth it because fancier and more expensive advertising is pointless if less people actually see it. The Escapist seems to have a decent user base, and be a good community, I'd hate to see that change.

I could be totally wrong, but it seems The Escapist was supporting itself fine before this.

Apologies if this upsets anyone, this is simply my opinion.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
I like the idea penalizing online d-bags for their bad behavior. Capcom should add that feature to SSF4 before it comes out.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Quick's Picks is a great new segment. Nicely done.

I have to admit, though, when I clicked on the video and the view changed, my first thought was "Oh crap, a pop-up."

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
PSYYYYDUCK.

And the Olympics as viral marketing made me laugh so much I neutered myself.

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
Therumancer said:
...Will certain titles, companies, and industry figures become off-limits to ENN?

If such things already exist it's not noticible, but I am concerned that it will become more so in the future because an advertising display of that level does not bode well for neutrality.
Don't worry. The ENN crew has never been told to stay away from a certain topic, game or person. The Escapist gives us full editorial autonomy, and doesn't censor us. Like a good, unbiased source, they keep the advertising separate from the editorial and creative side.

:)