Escapist News Network: Quick's Picks

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Crunchy English said:
Its not your net, its some new video player or something. This pop-up window style is awful. No video on the site will play for me now.
When did this happen?

EDIT - Ok, now that the ads load, I can watch it... yay? I mean, I'm all for a profitable Escapist, and it beats front-loading a video with commercials. But there's something unseemly about the Escapist carrying really in your face advertising.
I also dislike the new pop-up style player, I like to pause and check out other things while the video loads.

Great video as usually though. I especially liked Quick's Picks.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
It's amazing how overrated this series is. Not one part of that was remotely funny.

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
Was that part with Dante's Inferno true? It sounds ridiculous and fake but there are really stupid people out there. Wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened.

Slappybob

Jun 18, 2008
I have to say I do not like the new format. If it were not for Kathleen I would probably ditch this series all together. It seems rushed and the interviews are not as good.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
The entire episode was a vial of win, and I would pay to see that Atkinson interview.

I thought Ubisoft said they weren't going to do any more movie games after the monumental flop of Avatar? I can see why a game about a movie about a well-established game franchise would do better, and I know that it isn't technically a "movie-based game", but they just happen to be about the same thing.

Maybe The Forgotten Sands will do better. Maybe it will also fail and Ubisoft will learn their lesson. I just hope the company stays open until I find out what becomes of Desmond Miles.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Little known fact: Every Nintendo headquarters has a small exclusive stable of riding ponies. Unfortunately, most of those ponies are the same ones as were in the stable twenty years ago.

Also, bunnies!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
marter said:
So the Winter Olympics were just a viral marketing campaign for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games... Now I know.
It all makes sense!

Also! Love the new segment!

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Slappybob said:
I have to say I do not like the new format. If it were not for Kathleen I would probably ditch this series all together. It seems rushed and the interviews are not as good.
Re: rushed - you know that the pace of a video has nothing to do with the time spent on it, and that this new format actually takes longer to produce right?

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion of it, but regarding your statement specifically, the opposite is true.

-m

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Is Quick's Picks going to feature actual community based questions, in the future? Or to put it another way, if I sent in an e-mail would it be possible to have it featured on this segment?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Decabo said:
It's amazing how overrated this series is. Not one part of that was remotely funny.
It's called an opinion, dude. Just because other peoples don't agree with yours dose not make it wrong.

Though it dose make me wonder why you watched it then. it's not as if it's a new series, so you must have made up your mind long before this episode. And yet you watched it anyways, knowing that you dislike it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Its not your net, its some new video player or something. This pop-up window style is awful. No video on the site will play for me now.
When did this happen?

EDIT - Ok, now that the ads load, I can watch it... yay? I mean, I'm all for a profitable Escapist, and it beats front-loading a video with commercials. But there's something unseemly about the Escapist carrying really in your face advertising.
Yeah no one likes adds, but the Escapist is a business and they have to make money to keep the site up and pay the employees (such as the LRR people here). So I guess it's either this or subscription fees, and I prefer this.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
*claps at Matt* Bravo man. That totaly hit the head on the nail dead on. Just....beautiful...*claps again*
Also, unrelated, but guys, they've had the popup adds like forever. I honestly don't mind the add at the beginging, considering you can just mute it.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Man these recent ENN videos have been fast...like Rapidfire Comedy fast..."Comedy so fast it will melt your face off."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Lady Kathleen said:
Therumancer said:
...Will certain titles, companies, and industry figures become off-limits to ENN?

If such things already exist it's not noticible, but I am concerned that it will become more so in the future because an advertising display of that level does not bode well for neutrality.
Don't worry. The ENN crew has never been told to stay away from a certain topic, game or person. The Escapist gives us full editorial autonomy, and doesn't censor us. Like a good, unbiased source, they keep the advertising separate from the editorial and creative side.

:)

Thank you for the response, and that is good to hear. ENN is one of my favorite features on The Escapist, and I look forward to it every week! :)