Escapist News Network: Sony's Crazy Marketing

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Sony's Crazy Marketing

Paul and Jeremy get to the bright red bottom of Sony's crazy marketing decisions.

Watch Video

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Pul Sanders...Heh, Small typo got through Quality control? ^^"

Othereise, good episode, and fantastic mai nstory!

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
That's probably the least far-fetched explanation for Sony's marketing... Also, woo! Deerhunter!

nothri

Mar 10, 2010
.......yeah, I thought that joke with the baboons was funny...back when this show was called southpark and the baboons were jelly fish charged with creating family guy jokes.

Yaxley

Sep 23, 2009
dex-dex said:
I hope that was not actual poop that you flung at that white board.
I'm guessing refried beans.

On another note, if the Kinect is the Sega CD, does that mean we can play Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors on it?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Yaxley said:
dex-dex said:

On another note, if the Kinect is the Sega CD, does that mean we can play Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors on it?
Looks like the Publisher's Club members can find out the truth in ENN Rejected. That's just a great bonus over not having to watch the ads.

And that would make this years "Desert Bus For Hope" just that much more painfull. Imagine them having to keep their hands up the whole time.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Why can't I get rid of the Origin pop-up? I can't see the subtext jokes! >(
Otherwise, its pretty funny.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Somehow the whole button thing reminds me of 2 Stupid Dogs cartoon...

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Moriarty70 said:
Yaxley said:
dex-dex said:

Looks like the Publisher's Club members can find out the truth in ENN Rejected. That's just a great bonus over not having to watch the ads.

And that would make this years "Desert Bus For Hope" just that much more painfull. Imagine them having to keep their hands up the whole time.
but i can't know the secret because i am not a member.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Jaredin said:
Pul Sanders...Heh, Small typo got through Quality control? ^^"

Othereise, good episode, and fantastic main story!
There's also "Junrior VP of Marketing and PR, SCEA" at 2:23 xD

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
To be honest, yay buttons is pretty awesome.
I keep pressing this button, and things happen.
It's pretty intuitive.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Keava said:
Ah, the memories...

Yay for baboons. Better than Bobby Kotick.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
If Kinect is the Sega CD, then good for Microsoft! It had such great games: Vay, Lunar the Silver Star, Lunar the Eternal Blue, Silpheed, and Snatcher.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Yay buttons is a real site. They weren't making it up. It's real. Like really real.

Wow.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
dex-dex said:
but i can't know the secret because i am not a member.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxxqaGmjdi8

I assume the above used something similar. It's a lovely product, Jell-O makes it. All the clues I'm giving since I want something for those $10 I put down.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
WoD MMO got face time on ENN! Yay!

* runs off to tell everyone at CCP and WW *

This MMO will be the greatest thing since EVE Online! It will rule the niche market for decades to come! It will be my home for countless hours, like no other MMO!

...and since I don't play any MMOs that's not saying a lot. I'm also saying a daily prayer that the game will not be a pile of boring crap on top of a mountain of dung.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I went to the buttons site, and I have got to say that was kinda fun. killed a few minutes.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I noticed the typo! Pul Sanders! But i was Ninja'd...

Great episode this week, monkey buisness!

webrunner

Sep 23, 2009
Sony policy requires exactly one division to be a trainwreck at any one time. The PSP launch was terrible, but the PSP got better when they announced the PS3's 499 enemy crabs. Then the PSPgo was on the table when the 299 PS3 slim was announced. Now they've got the move.

sketchesofpayne

Sep 11, 2008
Yes, Sony has a history of excellent products and terrible marketing.

The bit about the deer hunter games cracked me up!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The only good marketing Sony ever had is Kevin Butler. Everything else stinks. Especially Marcus. He makes me want to smash my PSP just for spite. Oh yeah, that'd be some nice-a spite.

I like yaybuttons.com though. It's not just good against Kinect, but it works really well against the iPhone and other stupid cell phones that think they are game platforms but only have a touch screen.

I also share in Graham's facepalm about the "monkey business" pun.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sketchesofpayne and mjc0961, what are you talking about? Marketing is what Sony has always been by far the best at.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Deer Hunter? Even if the graphics and gunplay was stellar, it would still be beyond boring.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
On the subject of hunting and deer, does anyone here remember Deer Avenger? Man, I miss that game.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Jbird said:
On the subject of hunting and deer, does anyone here remember Deer Avenger? Man, I miss that game.
I do, that game made Deer Hunter ideas fun

On topic, great show, just went to check out yaybutton.com and ya...kinda crazy. In my opinion Kevin Butler was the best marketing they did, they should have stuck with him for their promos

Theistic

Oct 27, 2009
Great. Thanks. My parents thought I was doing homework and the punchline about Deer Hunter from Mr. Stark made me laugh so loud they realized I was doing jack-all.

Super as always, although it felt a bit short.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Arkhangelsk said:
Keava said:
Ah, the memories...

Yay for baboons. Better than Bobby Kotick.
Yep, couldn't agree more.
I mean come on Activision! ANYTHING is better than your current CEO. Get a monkey, it's far more economical and better!

thorin01

May 15, 2010
So Paul now plays three characters;

Marc Sauceman, Paul Saunders and now Pul Saunders.

Cool.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
SensibleCrout said:
Wait, "Lithe"? [scratches head...]
Not exactly a word I would use for the ENN crew, but it would have been worse with a Quix pix in there. Ryan is definitely not Lithe.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I would have personally gone down the thought trail of throwing shit on their ideas or something.

TetsuoKaneda

Feb 11, 2009
Could it be possible that "Pul Sanders" was intentional? I seem to remember that being a Winnie the Pooh reference, though it's been aeons since I've read any A.A. Milne.

Not contradicting those who thought differently, just throwing a weird thought out there for people to discuss.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hehe, isn't Kevin Butler occasionally the VP for marketing?

Hehe, Kevin Butler is a babboon...

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Well, you know, /one/ baboon at the top, instead of a worthless milk-carton salesman.. that actually would be a good idea, and would be a huge improvement for Sony.

It's these other couple of hundred monkeys Sony employ in their subdivisions that causes the problems..

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
I'm going against everyone here to say that the two typos I noticed (Pul, Junrior) were intentional.

The reason is I believe that ENN is actually being edited by an orangutan.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Baboons dont require dental benefits ? Have you ever actually seen a baboon ?

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
I liked the yay buttons thought it was funny and cute!:[

HOLD UP!
which band? The Deer Hunter OR The Dear Hunter
The The Dear Hunter is one of my favorite bands!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Graham... you hate the animals?

But why? WHYYYY?! They're so cute and fluffy and keep the ecosystem going! -tears into a delicious hamburger- I mean, seriously. Why hurt animals?

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
nothri said:
.......yeah, I thought that joke with the baboons was funny...back when this show was called southpark and the baboons were jelly fish charged with creating family guy jokes.
it was manatees :D

OT: One of the best ENNs yet

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Lithe, good one dudes.

I like how Jeremy Patter is neither the guy who is always on the joke nor the straight man that realizes how weird all of this is, he is the latter trying to be the former. It makes his reports look so tightly written, even in simple lines like "I see... what?"

feycreature

May 6, 2009
Oh my god... that is real. That is a real thing. And it is every bit as ridiculous as it seemed. I thought they were making up a more far-fetched version of the actual campaign. I am awestruck. Not enough to buy it. An ad page about buttons in a writing style that sounds like a 40 year old business exec trying to imitate a 13 year old stoner isn't terribly compelling. But still, it does remind you of the marvelous human potential for sheer badger-in-my-pants crazy (not my phrase).

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
I just don't understand...Sony were smart enough to keep their name off of every page of that website but stupid enough to pay someone to make it.

No, worse, there was a meeting where somebody pitched this idea to them and they said 'yeah! We'll do that! We are so totally connected to our market!' presumably whilst smoking rolled up 100 dollar bills and laughing at poor peoples haircuts.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Does it mean I need to go to bed when the first thing I notice is Pul's tongue clicking when he speaks on ENN?

Audun Maatje

Jun 27, 2010
I don't usually flame spelling mistakes, but when "Pul Saunders" is introduced, I just had to write this little comment, to inform the world that pul means fuck in norwegian.

I'm sure you all appreciated that :3

(btw: LRR: you rock :D)

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Dooly95 said:
The reason is I believe that ENN is actually being edited by an orangutan.
That would explain the turd-flinging on the LRR MOONBASE WHITEBOARD.

SantoUno said:
I think you guys messed up with Pul Sanders and 1889 ?
Yeah, well, about that 1889 thing... See for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

Serafis

Mar 24, 2010
I'm going to make a comment here: at least Nintendo offers a solution. Nippon Ichi's solution to the gamebreaking glitch in Ar Tonelico 2? Grind more so you'll finish the boss fight before the boss starts using the game-breaking glitch. Smooth.