Escapist News Network: The Newsroom: Dead Dragon Distance

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I was wary of the new format, but I'm coming around. I like it, in fact.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I don't mind that Newroom is basically ENN x Phailhaus, but I still think this would be better as a fly on the wall type show, even if it is scripted.

Slappybob

Jun 18, 2008
I have to say i do not like the new format. If you want to continue doing it this way then kill off the ENN tag and just call it 4 people in a room. Because that is what it is. Y'all sound more like you are pitching ideas to a sketch comedy show then doing any type of "News"

Just not as funny as ENN used to be.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I too would like to see Oregon Trail 3-D!

Good video you guys! Way to rock 'em like it's hot!

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
I hope ENN comes back soon, I really enjoyed that series (I was bummed when it got cut back to every other week). This placeholder is definitely not very entertaining.

Chaos999

Jun 7, 2010
I don?t know if this is new, because I only see this show on The escapist. But did the poster besides the rhino looked like the escapist crew in animated form. It looked nice. You guys could do an animated episode of ENN.

Netface

Oct 10, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Seriously? People are preordering for a thousand bucks?
No, the $999.99 amount is a placeholder until Sony announces what the actual price will be. This is exactly what they did with the 3DS, and the pre-order amount was $50.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I highly enjoy the new format, it's basically a relaxed discussion between you guys, like you would find on a podcast or something like that.

It doesn't have the feeling of a news network, but it's funny. I like funny things. Keep it up guys.

As for being biweekly, I actually don't mind as LRR puts out enough content anyway, and the less frequent they are the more time they can be worked on, resulting in a better overall video.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm really liking these. They're quite nice. I wouldn't mind seeing this every other week.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Lady Kathleen said:
Kimarous said:
This format is... okay, but can we get some actual ENN sometime? It's bad enough that you've gone biweekly, but now you give us these "Newsroom" episodes instead of the original show? To this user, they feel more like an unfinished normal episode... the thought process behind it without any major effort put behind it. It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time." Are you saying that the ENN show barely has time for a minimalist backstage discussion now? I admit, stuff like Daily Drop can be entertaining at times, but is ENN really getting sacrificed for shows like that?
Actually, this format takes more time to film and edit than 'classic' ENN - we only edit together the good stuff - we film a LOT more and then re-do, edit, and cut, cut, cut. It only appears totally 'off the cuff'.

We're not sacrificing ENN for other shows - we're trying to find a format that Escapist viewers want to see.
Graham_LRR said:
Kimarous said:
It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time."
That was a joke. These take just as much, if not more, effort than before.
Thank you for the replies. It can be difficult for the average viewer to realize the technicals that go behind the show, so I apologize if I sounded ungrateful or anything. I really do like this show and want to see it thrive; know that even though I prefer the "classic" format, I appreciate all the effort that you guys put into it.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Gotta say, I've enjoyed these newsroom episodes a lot more than the standard ENN episodes. Hope you keep going with them!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It's probably been mentioned already, but this feels like a spiritual successor to phailhaus, which is a good thing.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
You know what other game my mom hated? Kane and Lynch 2! AND SHE WAS RIGHT! Thanks Mom :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
lacktheknack said:
Thank you, Graham, for encapsulating my disgust for the Dead Space 2 ad campaign, where everyone told me I was being an oversensitive jerk for thinking it was an awful idea.
Really? What sad people are you surrounded by?
Stupid people, people desperately trying to prove that Dead Space is the best thing evar (yes, I know some people who do that), and about half of <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.257571-Visceral-Proves-Your-Mom-Hates-Dead-Space-2>this.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Honestly, I preferred the old-style ENN episodes. I'm definitely not saying that the new sketch ideas are unfunny, but I think they work better when the team actually commits to them. Right now we seem to have more of a bunch of half-baked 'what if we made a video about this...' scenes.

There are exceptions, of course: the LeVar Burton sketch was just the right size for this kind of video. Extra points for Graham's teeth.

For the DS externals joke we also would have accepted: bluetooth surround sound-equipped living room with 80-inch LCD screen and bluetooth cheetos, non-bluetooth 1980s desktop computer, bluetooth orthopedic shoes for Walking Simulator 7: the Walkening, bluetooth bong, or bluetooth pelvis-attached cage filled with rabid, hungry wolverines for Nintendo's much-anticipated Genital Mutilation 3.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
Kimarous said:
This format is... okay, but can we get some actual ENN sometime? It's bad enough that you've gone biweekly, but now you give us these "Newsroom" episodes instead of the original show? To this user, they feel more like an unfinished normal episode... the thought process behind it without any major effort put behind it. It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time." Are you saying that the ENN show barely has time for a minimalist backstage discussion now? I admit, stuff like Daily Drop can be entertaining at times, but is ENN really getting sacrificed for shows like that?
Actually, this format takes more time to film and edit than 'classic' ENN - we only edit together the good stuff - we film a LOT more and then re-do, edit, and cut, cut, cut. It only appears totally 'off the cuff'.

We're not sacrificing ENN for other shows - we're trying to find a format that Escapist viewers want to see.
Great! Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit. I mean at least a warning for those who like to game with (and watch shows about games that believe it or not have not always had this much mature content) the kids would be nice.

I'm not saying that you are responsible for everyone who clicks on your show. Since you asked about format I for one would like to see something more journalistic and professional. Especially if it is going to package itself that way. Then again maybe the whole "newsroom" image is completely sarcastic and done for a joke.

So, no offense but we won't be tuning in again, and seriously how many shows on the escapist would be considered for general audiences? Not very many that I've encountered so far.

IS there even such a thing as a family friendly or even nuetral website for video game enthusiasts? It's not a "holier than thou cristian thing" either it's just a belief that swearing and sending the script to Porky's school of writing does not equal funny, neither does insulting people.

So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah... that Dead Space 2 advertising campaign is appaling, it does not help the credibility of this medium, nor appeal in the least to gamers themselves.

Apr 25, 2009
HAHAHA! I loved the Dead Space 2 ad campaign parody! Though I personally liked it, they raised some good points... And again, the parody was hilarious :)

Also, loved the full-size zoo peripheral. At last, I've always been looking for something like this!