Escapist News Network: The Newsroom: Dead Dragon Distance

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
ENN: Phailhaüs Edition.

I approve of this. If this is how ENN is going to be from now on, I am all for it.

Epic reaction to Justin Bieber, Graham. I made the same face.

cdennett

Universal Constant
Jan 14, 2010
Enjoying the additional content and banter over the "formal" news episodes. Keep it up.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
I'd like a full-sized DS monitor. It'd make recording the footage much easier.

That Dead Space 2 ad campaign got on my nerves, too.

I don't mind the title for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. They've made pretty stupid subtitles before, and they all make a bit of sense by the end of the game, so don't judge yet.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
Thank you.
No sir, thank you. This is clever, witty, and not predictable. Genuinely funny people entertaining me for free? You should be upset with me, I owe you a drink!

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I still don't like this new style, it seems lazy compared to the others.

Also, you guys REALLY seem to be running on fumes.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Wow Kathleen has amazing hair. That sounds creapy doesn't it?
Well it is. The hair being amazing that is.

It's like a very good painting.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I withheld judgement on the new format last time, but this episode was even better than the last! The newsroom is great, and I find myself actually laughing out loud, which is something I couldn't say before. Keep it up!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I am loving this new informal way at presenting the news of gaming to us with it looking like a 'real' news show

Also, when you where talking about the DS 3D and Graham said the word diabetes I keep envisioning him in the bear hat that he wore during the Phailhaus ep

-M

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Thank you, Graham, for encapsulating my disgust for the Dead Space 2 ad campaign, where everyone told me I was being an oversensitive jerk for thinking it was an awful idea.
<a href=http://twitter.com/#!/RvLeshrac/status/30181029541060610>I demand royalties!

But srsly, yes, that campaign was just horrific.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan, but I would buy seven copies of Kingdom Hearts: Derpy Doggy Dance.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Incidentally, I think politicians need to come with warning labels that read
"Warning: Excessive exposure could lead to permanent stupidity"

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Great! Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit. I mean at least a warning for those who like to game with (and watch shows about games that believe it or not have not always had this much mature content) the kids would be nice.

I'm not saying that you are responsible for everyone who clicks on your show. Since you asked about format I for one would like to see something more journalistic and professional. Especially if it is going to package itself that way. Then again maybe the whole "newsroom" image is completely sarcastic and done for a joke.

So, no offense but we won't be tuning in again, and seriously how many shows on the escapist would be considered for general audiences? Not very many that I've encountered so far.

IS there even such a thing as a family friendly or even nuetral website for video game enthusiasts? It's not a "holier than thou cristian thing" either it's just a belief that swearing and sending the script to Porky's school of writing does not equal funny, neither does insulting people.

So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?
Can I ask if this happened to be the first episode of ENN you clicked on? As it happens, this show has gone through three format iterations - One of very dry, mock-professional, joke news reporting, one of a more sarcastic take on the same format, and more recently, the newsroom format that you see here.

The crew has been doing some experimentation with format, and trying some new things - but this episode is not exactly representative of the series as a whole - at least by way of presentation.

Regarding offensive content, I don't know what to say - there was nothing in this episode that any average kid wouldn't have heard on a playground by the time he hit double digits in age. The overwhelming bulk of the content that our group produces situates itself squarely in the PG-13 ratings category (and this particular episode would have easily been a flat PG). Clearly we can't hope to adhere to everyone's sensibilities, but we aren't exactly Zero Punctuation, either.

At any rate, we do appreciate the feedback, and if you'd like to see some more "professional" takes on the same kind of show I'd advise you to look back into the video archive for this series.

-m

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
RATED S ...yeah that made me laugh xD

amongst other things...Levar Burton needs to come back and appear somewhere again!

LaBarnes

Oct 23, 2009
Have I heard "derpy doggy dance" in ENN before? I am not going through their archive to find out, anyone remember?

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit.
The Escapist and our series aren't aimed at children. From the other content and the level of complexity in the content writing, it's clear to see the Escapist is not producing content for children or young families.

mikev7.0 said:
So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?
We actually have produced a lot of content that would fit your definition of 'humorous with creativity rather than swearing and poor taste'. However, if you were to look through our archives to find it, I would first filter out all the videos I've written/co-written.
Here's a list. Don't watch anything on it.
http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Kathleen_De_Vere_Filmography#Writing

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
While watching this episode (which I loved mostly due to the Kingdom Hearts 3D jokes) I realized that Graham looks EERILY like my brother. I mean... the resemblance is uncanny. Now if only my brother resembled Graham in coolness...

Edit: Oh, and just earlier today I was thinking about how moronic the Dead Space 2 ad campaign is. Anybody old enough to buy it probably has a number of habits, hobbies, or vices that their mother doesn't approve of, so... tough shit for mom. Any child's mom who hates the game WON'T BUY IT FOR THEM! Way to tell parents point blank that it's not a good game to buy for their kids. At least if you'd kept your mouths shut you could count on a few oblivious parents buying it without noticing the "M for Mature" label. Now you don't even have that going for you.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
@ ENN
If you're sticking with sketchy-humor instead of improv-humor (like I thought you were trying to do) what's the point of doing News Room?
Saving money?
(what was the other show's budget, anyway? 50 bucks?)