Escapist News Network: The Newsroom: Dead Dragon Distance

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Matt_LRR said:
mikev7.0 said:
Great! Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit. I mean at least a warning for those who like to game with (and watch shows about games that believe it or not have not always had this much mature content) the kids would be nice.

I'm not saying that you are responsible for everyone who clicks on your show. Since you asked about format I for one would like to see something more journalistic and professional. Especially if it is going to package itself that way. Then again maybe the whole "newsroom" image is completely sarcastic and done for a joke.

So, no offense but we won't be tuning in again, and seriously how many shows on the escapist would be considered for general audiences? Not very many that I've encountered so far.

IS there even such a thing as a family friendly or even nuetral website for video game enthusiasts? It's not a "holier than thou cristian thing" either it's just a belief that swearing and sending the script to Porky's school of writing does not equal funny, neither does insulting people.

So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?
Can I ask if this happened to be the first episode of ENN you clicked on? As it happens, this show has gone through three format iterations - One of very dry, mock-professional, joke news reporting, one of a more sarcastic take on the same format, and more recently, the newsroom format that you see here.

The crew has been doing some experimentation with format, and trying some new things - but this episode is not exactly representative of the series as a whole - at least by way of presentation.

Regarding offensive content, I don't know what to say - there was nothing in this episode that any average kid wouldn't have heard on a playground by the time he hit double digits in age. The overwhelming bulk of the content that our group produces situates itself squarely in the PG-13 ratings category (and this particular episode would have easily been a flat PG). Clearly we can't hope to adhere to everyone's sensibilities, but we aren't exactly Zero Punctuation, either.

At any rate, we do appreciate the feedback, and if you'd like to see some more "professional" takes on the same kind of show I'd advise you to look back into the video archive for this series.

-m
Yes you can ask and yes it was. Which is what I usually do to gauge new content at a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I believe that is what many consumers do when they are trying to decide on what to buy as part of their hobby. I am off of work injured right now and specifically came here looking for the lost gems that I've only found through other gamers before. Examples: Nights, Of Light and Darkness, beyond Good and Evil, My World My way, you know, the games that don't get a lot of press or that the jaded press thinks were terrible but actually gave me a lot of fun.

So for your information as well as that of your advertisers in spite of anything that I have said about the escapist (where I come from, as well as you apparently, it's okay to disagree about stuff sometimes.) This site is still directly responsible for the sale of four new games. No they were not bought used. Yes that's due to one of the shows I've seen here. I guess Movie Bob gets the credit for that (and yes they were bought from an independent store)
even though speaking of content I don't agree with his either. That doesn't mean that I don't think you and he have a LOT of things right.

Those games were: BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Enslaved Journey to the West, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, and Darksiders. So far all are WELL worth the purchase price. So in the interest of full disclosure I may not have liked the tone of the billboard but that sure didn't make it any less effective.

As far as for offensive content I don't know maybe you're right. No one else seems to mind maybe I just need to admit that as per usual I expect too much. I think that what scares me is how much some of this stuff grosses me out and then I wonder about the twelve year old that's watching it too. The format I would like to see would be the hosts getting as much information about as many games as possible and then just let the humor organically come from a group of friends researching and talking about a hobby they love. I think a lot of why I don't like most of these shows is the negativity. Here are people who truly love this hobby, now watch them rip on it for a half hour. Sometimes that's really what it feels like, and if you happen to be someone who is loving your hobby as per ususal, that can be a little off putting.

Yes I know you're not Zero Punctuation, not even close, I hope I wasn't implying that. Sweet god I couldn't even make it through the second review and he HATED one of the games that I'm now playing and think is great. (Enslaved Journey to the West) Really great. Like "I would have been ticked had I put this decision in the hands of a critic." great.

Also, by professional I didn't mean that as a dig I meant it literally. Usually in advertising there isn't a lot of over the top language or innuendo. It's just seen as professional. That's what I meant.

Your profession is to help sell games, you did that, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't do a good job.

I appologize if this was too long but finally I did want to say Thank You sincerely for taking my post seriously and since I am laid up I will check the earlier episodes and if you want, give my opinion. If not I can just shut up too. It's obvious you've gotten my point and now know that some of us would like more "general" content. It would be helpful if you could maybe provide links to ones you feel are relevant? There's quite a backlog and yes I have time now but like I said um, you guys just helped me pick four GREAT games?

Oh. An' no one at Disney or Square could come up with Digital Dream Dance? Heck that even SOUNDS like something that was voted on by the Mickey Mouse Club!

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Yes you can ask and yes it was. Which is what I usually do to gauge new content at a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I believe that is what many consumers do when they are trying to decide on what to buy as part of their hobby. I am off of work injured right now and specifically came here looking for the lost gems that I've only found through other gamers before. Examples: Nights, Of Light and Darkness, beyond Good and Evil, My World My way, you know, the games that don't get a lot of press or that the jaded press thinks were terrible but actually gave me a lot of fun.

So for your information as well as that of your advertisers in spite of anything that I have said about the escapist (where I come from, as well as you apparently, it's okay to disagree about stuff sometimes.) This site is still directly responsible for the sale of four new games. No they were not bought used. Yes that's due to one of the shows I've seen here. I guess Movie Bob gets the credit for that (and yes they were bought from an independent store)
even though speaking of content I don't agree with his either. That doesn't mean that I don't think you and he have a LOT of things right.

Those games were: BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Enslaved Journey to the West, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, and Darksiders. So far all are WELL worth the purchase price. So in the interest of full disclosure I may not have liked the tone of the billboard but that sure didn't make it any less effective.
Just for the record - we (being loadingredyrun) don't make any of our content
with an eye to selling games. I can't speak for the other content creators on the site, but certainly our videos are made strictly for the purpposes of entertainment. We don't see a dollar from games we feature or make fun of in our videos. So while we do mention games by name, it's not with any intent to sell you a copy of it. These videos we produce are intended to be entertainment, not (per se) informational, and certainly not advertisements.

mikev7.0 said:
As far as for offensive content I don't know maybe you're right. No one else seems to mind maybe I just need to admit that as per usual I expect too much. I think that what scares me is how much some of this stuff grosses me out and then I wonder about the twelve year old that's watching it too.
I'm curious as to what you would have found objectionable or capable of 'grossing you out' in this particular episode. There were four instances of mild language, but otherwise this was a pretty straightforward, informal, and mostly good natured send up of current industry news. I can't think of any example of innuendo or other even borderline offensive content, and I rewatched it to be sure.

mikev7.0 said:
The format I would like to see would be the hosts getting as much information about as many games as possible and then just let the humor organically come from a group of friends researching and talking about a hobby they love. I think a lot of why I don't like most of these shows is the negativity. Here are people who truly love this hobby, now watch them rip on it for a half hour. Sometimes that's really what it feels like, and if you happen to be someone who is loving your hobby as per ususal, that can be a little off putting.
We make fun of the industry - but we do it because it's something we enjoy. It's not a 6 minute long hate-on for how terrible the industry is. As I noted this isn't a series intended to sell you a game - it's intended to highlight and poke fun at the absurdities of videogame marketing and development. Ours is a great industry, but it gets very up itself sometimes, and can use some deflation of it's own ego. We're taking about an industry of playthings - big budget, multi-billion dollar playthings, but playthings none the less. The emperor sometimes needs to be told that he's not wearing any clothes.

mikev7.0 said:
Yes I know you're not Zero Punctuation, not even close, I hope I wasn't implying that. Sweet god I couldn't even make it through the second review and he HATED one of the games that I'm now playing and think is great. (Enslaved Journey to the West) Really great. Like "I would have been ticked had I put this decision in the hands of a critic." great.
Yahtzee does his thing for much the same reason we do - he harshly criticizes games with an eye to making games better. No matter how brilliant and excellent a game it - it's never perfect. ZP as a show is about identifying the failings, the clichees and the tropes that turn up in even the best games so that the industry is made aware of where they can improve. As customers, of a developing industry, we owe it to the developers, and to ourselves to be discerning and critical if we want to see the industry continue to innovate.

mikev7.0 said:
Also, by professional I didn't mean that as a dig I meant it literally. Usually in advertising there isn't a lot of over the top language or innuendo. It's just seen as professional. That's what I meant.

Your profession is to help sell games, you did that, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't do a good job.
We're entertainers, not advertisers.

mikev7.0 said:
I appologize if this was too long but finally I did want to say Thank You sincerely for taking my post seriously and since I am laid up I will check the earlier episodes and if you want, give my opinion. If not I can just shut up too. It's obvious you've gotten my point and now know that some of us would like more "general" content. It would be helpful if you could maybe provide links to ones you feel are relevant? There's quite a backlog and yes I have time now but like I said um, you guys just helped me pick four GREAT games?
I don't really have abny specific suggestions, especially insofar as content is concerned. As I said before, our writing is PG, PG-13 targeted, and if you're having difficulty with the suitability of content written about the absurdities of video-game news, I'm probably not going to be able to point you at something you'll find more suitable.

As far as more formal presentation is concerned, the earliest ENN videos are where you want to look.

Thanks for the feedback.

-m

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
9Darksoul6 said:
@ ENN
If you're sticking with sketchy-humor instead of improv-humor (like I thought you were trying to do) what's the point of doing News Room?
Saving money?
(what was the other show's budget, anyway? 50 bucks?)
The point is to find a format where we discuss the news, give it the lambasting it generally deserves and in a manner that the majority of escapist users find enjoyable and want to view.

The Newsrooms ostensibly costs more than Classic ENN due to the amount of time we need to put into it.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
mikev7.0 said:
Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit.
The Escapist and our series aren't aimed at children. From the other content and the level of complexity in the content writing, it's clear to see the Escapist is not producing content for children or young families.

mikev7.0 said:
So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?
We actually have produced a lot of content that would fit your definition of 'humorous with creativity rather than swearing and poor taste'. However, if you were to look through our archives to find it, I would first filter out all the videos I've written/co-written.
Here's a list. Don't watch anything on it.
http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Kathleen_De_Vere_Filmography#Writing
Yes I know that your goal is not currently to produce content for children and young families. I was just saying that as a consumer I think there is a place for that content and that it might be a niche you could look at exploiting since no one else (that I can find) is.

Your post confused me at first. Sorry, but I'm retarded. Literally. This post and the one I made before? Yeah that only took like five times. Maybe that explains another reason the swearing and inuendo don't appeal to me. I actually don't get like 7/10th of the sarcastic, angsty, dark humor that is so popular these days. I think it's just too deep for me. I just have differnt tastes I suppose? (Than most of the known civilized world)

Also to overcome my stutter I joined Toastmasters and they have a very strict "no swearing or sexual content" policy so maybe I'm just indoctrinated. Like I said in my other reply, maybe I'm the one who's wrong. Maybe I just want too much. I just don't think civility is asking for too much. Also I hope that you would admit for an "otherwise abled" person like me, it keeps it basic enough so that I can take part too without having to dive for my thesaurus whenever someone feels like going Dennis Miller on the more subtle artistic points of Sonic the Hedgehog.

For what it's worth? I couldn't imagine doing what you guys do. Trying to help people pick the good stuff and give honest critique withOUT tickin' someone off? Have fun with that Gunga Din.... The reason I can't do it is because everything I like most other people think is terrible. Especially the critics. Ever heard of Road to El Dorado? Yup. I think that's the best movie ever made. So you see my point.

So I'm really not trying to imply disrespect or that you don't do your jobs. I showed in my above post that you literally DO. Apparently about four times better than any of the bean counters would have guessed I'll bet.

Anyway your post confused me, I thought it was a list of films TO watch so I did and it was exactly what I had been asking if you had! Not only that but in terms of being creative and constructive it was excellent, particularly the "this just in from the 18th century" bit. That was great! So now I'm even more confused. Why do you not want me to watch the shows that are exactly the type of content that I was looking for but didn't think the escapist had?

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Anyway your post confused me, I thought it was a list of films TO watch so I did and it was exactly what I had been asking if you had! Not only that but in terms of being creative and constructive it was excellent, particularly the "this just in from the 18th century" bit. That was great! So now I'm even more confused. Why do you not want me to watch the shows that are exactly the type of content that I was looking for but didn't think the escapist had?
I'm glad you liked our content!

Since you are looking for more 'gentle' humour, I felt it was fair to warn you that videos I've written/co-written is particularly known among our fans for being consistently more 'edgy' and 'adult' in tone than some of our other videos. The common comment is "ah, I knew this was a Kathleen video!"

I was hoping to point you in the direction of some videos you would enjoy, without steering you towards videos you would find offensive.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
mikev7.0 said:
I'm glad you liked our content!

Since you are looking for more 'gentle' humour, I felt it was fair to warn you that videos I've written/co-written is particularly known among our fans for being consistently more 'edgy' and 'adult' in tone than some of our other videos. The common comment is "ah, I knew this was a Kathleen video!"

I was hoping to point you in the direction of some videos you would enjoy, without steering you towards videos you would find offensive.
Yep. I finally figured it out. Now that I've seen both, it's just one guy's opinion, but I really like the general stuff better. So since you can do both equally well may I ask why you prefer the 'edgy' and 'adult' stuff more? Actually I've wondered for quite a while why artists seem to prefer it more in general.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
really nice episode.

i missed my chace to comment on this new forum of the show last week, so i would like to now,
this is a very interesting new method and it works really well. not to say that the older way didn't work well, just that this seems better,but although i think that even though this seems to work better in many ways, I simply miss the older way. maybe i just got used to it.

anyway, great episode again

and I like the new way you came up with

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Still liking the ENNN :)

That news re: the next Kingdom Hearts game, while unsurprising given the ridiculous names of other titles in the serious, was certainly news to me. The name was deserving of the ridicule which it received.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
Oh crap. I thought this was gonna be a special type of thing that happens every now and again. The "behind the scenes" look just has that kinda feel to me. Not a regular show, but a special. Like DVD commentaries or something.

You all are still doing a good job with each individual sketch if not the "feel" of the series at least. :p

Vezi

May 31, 2009
Rated S for Shit.

ROFL My innards hurt after having my appendix out and I can't stop laughing. Damn you Enn!

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
I like this new way of doing the ENN videos. Why were people complaining about it? I can see all of you very clearly, and it's funny as hell. You guys are just... funny. That's why I watch you.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
wait what 1000 dollars?
but games and consoles already cost the double were I live, of what they sell it for in U.S
does this mean that the new psp will cost 2000 USD?
(I am not kidding when the ps3 first came out if would cost 914,23 USD were I live)

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Telperion said:
Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2 - Behind the Scenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAdjrvD0bY]

Brilliant! In a way, which makes me want to shake my head with disapproval.
Watching that crushed my soul.

"The theory [that if moms hate it, it must e cool] was proven correct." Really? I'd like to challenge EA's experiment. Did they show the moms anything that was verifiably cool, like say, Enter the Dragon, and get the same reaction? How about Big Trouble in Little China? Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (game, not the movie)? Did you, EA?

"It's everything you love in a game, and your mom's gonna hate it." [has to puke]BLAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH![/puke] *Ahem*, excuse me. Ah, EA, once again, you make unverifiable claims. How do you know what I love in a game? Hell, just based on the marketing alone, Dead Space 2 has nothing that I love in a game, and most of the stuff that I'm more or less indifferent to, coupled with a shitty ad campaign that I hate. As for my mom, well, I can't say she would absolutely love it, but I'd say she'd be indifferent to it. Then again, I'm not 12, and actually have taste.

tbksurfshop

Mar 24, 2010
Just in case anybody here does not go to LRR's official website (loadingreadyrun.com) I figured I'd post this here:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/?p=2178

In short, ENN is dead. :(

For full details, read the full post.