Escapist News Now: Apple Found Guilty In E-Book Conspiracy

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So Apple claims Amazon is the bad guy for keep the prices low and thus creating a "monopoly", so they tried to organize their own "monopoly" with higher prices...Apple, why don't you join those people that petition to bring the DRM back on XBone back, they might be the kind of crazy, and anti-consumer, you're looking for.

Btw I think the person who decided not to settle, even after everyone else did, is either brilliant or is getting fired right about now.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Apple really shouldn't talk about monopoly's seeing as they pretty much wanted a monopoly for the iphone,

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Can someone explain to me how people are doing this? How do you make a statement like that? I mean I could hardly breath because I was laughing about that "we are trying to break amazon's monopolistic grip". Then I got sad because there is a person out there making this statement. What mental disorder do they suffer from?

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
As an avid Apple hater, I cackled maniacally when I read this. Just because finally someone called them on their bullshit. Then I read "trying to break the amazon's monopolistic grip" and burst out laughing. Some people are just special and it seems that Apple's lawyers are trying to raise(or is it lower?) the bar.

I love how everyone else involved settled and Apple is like "Nu-uh! We didn't do anything!" Kinda reminds me of when I got in trouble as a kid and my parents knew they had me and just let me squirm before dropping the hammer harder than if I had fessed up. I doubt it will hurt their sales too much though.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Can we just hurry up and shut Apple down? I'm sick of hearing about them being bastards.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Hey, finally a reason to justify my hatred of e-books and e-readers.

"Apple: Think different....But buy all your digital media from us."

I also like how this (along with Deus Ex thing) shows why closed platforms are bad.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Apple is saying Amazon is trying to have or has a monopolistic hold on ANYTHING?! that's so sad its fucking pathetic, Apple has tried to monopolize every single business it has muscled into. I-tunes is a fucking travesty as is the entire I-scheme of file-types and proprietary bullshit but everybody has just lapped that shit up from its inception, just like they clamor to buy the latest in a line of homogenized poorly constructed and designed products because they are sleek or trendy. Never mind the fact that each "NEW" version of the I-whatever is the same fucking thing as the last one with minor tweaks or changes but costs double the standing or original price of its predecessor.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I wont pretend to know anything about publishing laws, just here to state two things mainly:
1) I'm really not surprised to hear about companies doing things like this anymore. For some reason it's become commonplace for them to treat their consumers like sacks of cash rather than people.
2) I have that same shirt except grey and in a guy's size. /highfive

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the way apple handles ebooks shouldnt be allowed format to begin with due to amount of DRM there, its a wonder they havent done that sooner.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Strazdas said:
the way apple handles ebooks shouldnt be allowed format to begin with due to amount of DRM there, its a wonder they havent done that sooner.
Never mind all the DRM in Kindle e-books? And if you think Amazon didn't make some locked-down DRM for the e-books they sell, think again. Amazon e-books, as far as I know, can not venture outside the Kindle ecosystem.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Treaos Serrare said:
Apple is saying Amazon is trying to have or has a monopolistic hold on ANYTHING?! that's so sad its fucking pathetic, Apple has tried to monopolize every single business it has muscled into. I-tunes is a fucking travesty as is the entire I-scheme of file-types and proprietary bullshit but everybody has just lapped that shit up from its inception, just like they clamor to buy the latest in a line of homogenized poorly constructed and designed products because they are sleek or trendy. Never mind the fact that each "NEW" version of the I-whatever is the same fucking thing as the last one with minor tweaks or changes but costs double the standing or original price of its predecessor.
Which is the same thing Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc. all try to do (and in some instances, have done). It's okay for them to do it; it's just normal business. However, if Apple does it, it's an act of evil and deserving of full hatred.

I understand people hate Apple, but, in my opinion, it would be so much better if people just left it at that and stop trying to put some "logical", "rational" reason to it. Every time people try to put such reasons to their hatred of Apple, they just sound inconsistent, hypocritical, or just plain silly; for example, the whole Foxconn blow-up in which it was shown Apple was actually the ONLY company that was trying to do something, anything at all, to improve working conditions, while all other companies were silent and doing nothing, except HP, which actually stated officially that they did not like Apple trying to improve Chinese worker conditions because it could cause HP's own costs to increase (but, that little tidbit got completely ignored by all the haters).

Yeah, I agree that Apple is completely in the wrong on this one (all they needed to do was remove that one single clause in their policy), but don't think for one second that every other company out there isn't trying to do all the same sorts of things; they just have differing levels of success and availability of moments of opportunity.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
geizr said:
Strazdas said:
Never mind all the DRM in Kindle e-books? And if you think Amazon didn't make some locked-down DRM for the e-books they sell, think again. Amazon e-books, as far as I know, can not venture outside the Kindle ecosystem.
i never said that. Kindle DRM is probably the worst. And amazon is known for its DRM tactics too, though often it gives alternatives. well, more often than other services. I mean not directly, but you can sell stuff at amazing that isnt DRMed beside the amazons native book trade.

geizr said:
Which is the same thing Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc. all try to do (and in some instances, have done). It's okay for them to do it; it's just normal business. However, if Apple does it, it's an act of evil and deserving of full hatred.
Of course its not OK, but this news are about Apple, thus we talk about Apple and not Microsoft or google.

I understand people hate Apple, but, in my opinion, it would be so much better if people just left it at that and stop trying to put some "logical", "rational" reason to it. Every time people try to put such reasons to their hatred of Apple, they just sound inconsistent, hypocritical, or just plain silly; for example, the whole Foxconn blow-up in which it was shown Apple was actually the ONLY company that was trying to do something, anything at all, to improve working conditions, while all other companies were silent and doing nothing, except HP, which actually stated officially that they did not like Apple trying to improve Chinese worker conditions because it could cause HP's own costs to increase (but, that little tidbit got completely ignored by all the haters).
How does cisistently hating on all DRM or bad work practices, or moneygrubbing, or overcharging is inconsistent because we blame apple, among others, for doing it?
Oh and i hate HP with a passion and i regret every HP product i have bought for i was stupid and uninformed (funnily enough typing this from a HP laptop which is soon to fall apart from the condition it is in).

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Strazdas said:
You didn't speak on DRM in general; you only spoke specifically of Apple's DRM. I'll agree with you, DRM, in general, is just nasty bad and should not exist. However, the way your statement is worded, it sounded like you are singling out Apple's DRM specifically as being criminal, as opposed to anyone else's DRM.

ADDENDUM: Oh, to specifically address your last point, I made my statement because what I often see is that people specifically target Apple for such practices and often ignore other companies guilty of the same thing.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
geizr said:
Strazdas said:
You didn't speak on DRM in general; you only spoke specifically of Apple's DRM. I'll agree with you, DRM, in general, is just nasty bad and should not exist. However, the way your statement is worded, it sounded like you are singling out Apple's DRM specifically as being criminal, as opposed to anyone else's DRM.

ADDENDUM: Oh, to specifically address your last point, I made my statement because what I often see is that people specifically target Apple for such practices and often ignore other companies guilty of the same thing.
Thats because this is a discussion topic for a news article about Apples E-book conspiracy? Thus it makes sense to talk about Apple, dont you agree?

there are people who target apple just for being apple so yeah there are such people.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
thiosk said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Okay, so here's the thing that rubs me: A monopoly generally fixes prices high. If the end result is you raise prices in competing with a monopoly, you're doing something wrong. This is one of the reasons Steam/Origin is such a mess. Any complaints one might have about Steam are at least partially nullified by the further anti-consumer practices of EA. Similarly, if your prices are going up 50%, it's probably not because you're out to break a monopoly.

Also, Amazon didn't have a monopoly. Sony at least had a robust market going on. I weighed the two heavily before I threw down with the Kindle, and I mostly did so because I can more imagine Sony going out of the ebook business than Amazon.

I want to be published, for the record. Those prices actually kind of scare me as both a consumer and a would-be creator.

Apple has created a market where a lot of ebooks I've looked for are more expensive than the print version.
/quote]

What irritates me about this situation is that it is an attempt to form a cartel, rather than break a monopoly. The publishers are well aware that they have a problem; ebooks have just about slayed the mega bookstores that had evicerated in turn the mom and pops. You smell blood in the water, you strike, but the moves to form this dinosaur squad under apple strikes me the wrong way and I don't like it.

I'm not sure what amazons self publication policies are, or the real potential for self publication in today's market. Intuition tells me that getting more per book is good, and feelings tell me publishers probably aren't great for the little guy, but I'm not in that business.
This isn't about monopoly, this is about monosopy. Because Amazon sells over half the books in the US (book publishing isn't done internationally), publishers and writers have no ability to refuse to sell to Amazon, and Amazon pays much less because of it. A 100% market isn't necessary here, Amazon already ruins careers when they delist books for gay content (yes they still do this, its just a slower process than the everything at once stunt they tried), the threat to anybody who wants the money they lose of a book sale through Amazon instead of anybody else back is very present.