Escapist News Now: Broken BF4 Drops EA Stock Price

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Broken BF4 Drops EA Stock Price

EA's stock is now taking a hit after extensive problems with Battlefield 4.

Watch Video

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting that even investors are getting fed up with buggy games.

But its also interesting they mentioned that Star Wars battlefront development as been halted. EA was the upcoming battlefront just BF4 reskinned and rebalanced without any real modification?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
exobook said:

But its also interesting they mentioned that Star Wars battlefront development as been halted. EA was the upcoming battlefront just BF4 reskinned and rebalanced without any real modification?
I feel like investors were more afraid of them halting DLC production rather than being fed up with buggy games :p

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Just a small recommendation for The Escapist News, when talking about how buggy a game is, try and post the buggy gameplay itself. I know that this is footage from trailers and I understand getting buggy footage will take effort, but at least it will your content look far more professional.

OT: Hopefully they'll fix it soon, netcoding is still unacceptable...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
exobook said:
That probably shouldn't be what you take away from this.

I doubt they care about the product quality. They care about the backlash.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
http://www.court-records.net/animation/redd-bragging.gif
So, it must be in, like, the negatives, right?

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
Don't worry EA I'll still vote you the best company of the year just as soon as I finish snorting this bath salts.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
wolf_isthebest said:
Don't worry EA I'll still vote you the best company of the year just as soon as I finish snorting this bath salts.
o_O
Do you even have a bath?
Or bathroom?
Or home?

DannyboyO1

Oct 3, 2007
I suspect it comes down to being smart about money. Making add-ons that need work-arounds for major bugs... is expensive. The work-arounds will become new bugs when the originals get fixed so... really, it costs fewer man-hours. Except for those parts of production that can't be repurposed into bug-stomping. I mean, the art guys and voice actors are either exempt... or thumb-twiddling. Although, if the game itself tanks, they can't sell DLC for it... so they might be hedging their bets on sinking more money in, if they can't make it work fast enough, profitably enough.

I'm just giddy at the notion that suits will finally make a connection between quality product and keeping investors happy. For a little while. Maybe.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
They've set themselves an impossible task considering DICE patches almost always introduce two new problems for each one they fix.

Not to mention all the focus on bugs and stability issues has meant there's been very little in the way of tweaking maps, modes or balancing weapons/vehicles which is what they SHOULD be doing by this stage.

I'm actually confused why they are even bothering to fix it when EA will be canabilising it anyway once Titanfall releases.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
This is a joke, right? Everybody's taking it completely seriously but it seriously sounds like an April Fool's day article.

The phrase "Crashing from too many friends" is what sealed it for me. And hasn't BF4 already sold more copies than the bible? Yet their stock price is supposed to be going down because people are reporting bugs?

I mean, if that ever happened, Microsoft would've gone bankrupt about ten years ago. (Thanks, Windows ME!)

I mean, c'mon. This surely can't be real.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
This is a joke, right? Everybody's taking it completely seriously but it seriously sounds like an April Fool's day article.

The phrase "Crashing from too many friends" is what sealed it for me. And hasn't BF4 already sold more copies than the bible? Yet their stock price is supposed to be going down because people are reporting bugs?

I mean, if that ever happened, Microsoft would've gone bankrupt about ten years ago. (Thanks, Windows ME!)

I mean, c'mon. This surely can't be real.
Yeah but the difference is that the Microsoft products are at least usable. There's also something called brand loyalty. Why do you think iPhones sell fuck tons every year? If you have a bad experience with that product then you won't buy from that company anymore. Bad reputation can drop stock prices.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
The real sad part is that EA's stock was even higher compared to six and twelve months ago. People who put money into EA on said times still made money when they sold their stock.

creamy5000

Nov 23, 2009
Good to see that EA is working hard to win votes for best Company in America... Oh wait this isn't helping.

Vladimir Eremeyev

Sep 23, 2012
I feel like I've been ripped off.
Even though I regret buying Ghosts they somehow work a lot better than BF4. No freezes, no crashes, no disconnections... Wish it was a better game instead of just better working game though. >_>

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
I'm happy their actually risking something to get the game in a stable state...I'm annoyed they waited till now to actually do something about it though

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Didn't buy Premium because I knew this would happen. I love Battlefield to death, but I haven't even touched BF4 in weeks. All my friends moved back to 3, and we're not going back until they finally get it running properly. There's nothing more infuriating than crashing in the middle of a match, losing most of your unlocks and XP in the process. I can deal with a glitch or two, but these crashes/drops just take away any fun. When the game works, it's glorious, but I can never just sit down and enjoy it, because I'm constantly nervous that it's going to crash again, and all my work of the last 20 minutes or so will have been for nothing.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
It's a shame that EA is getting the red flag from the men in suits for doing the right thing - fixing the game lots of people have already paid for - instead of wringing more money out of players.

That said, with the type and amount of bugs in the game, one could think Dice doesn't know what they're doing, if it wasn't their 4th Battlefield. Still, I'm just glad I haven't bought it yet, and I won't until I stop hearing too many legit complaints from players.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
exobook said:

Maybe. I just think that both are being made by DICE and presumably it's all hands on deck to fix bf4. I haven't touched bf4 in a month. Next time, I'll wait that month before I buy the game in the first place.