Escapist News Now: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Announced, Featuring Kevin Spacey

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Announced, Featuring Kevin Spacey

The new Call of Duty trailer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFu5qXMuaJU] was leaked and then officially announced by Activision, featuring power armored soldiers, walking tanks, hover bikes, and Kevin Spacey.

Watch Video

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
"[...] but the trailer looks pretty great."

How? No, seriously, what is in this trailerthat is so great?
The vehicles? The spider man gloves? Because speaking of games, neither of those are new or outstanding and so far, there's nothing hinting at those things being anything else but One-mission-gimmicks to be used and then forever tossed away.

The only thing interesting is, in fact, Kevin Spacey. But since CoD isn't really famous for its top-notch storytelling, I'm gonna go with "Hey kids, here's another famous face to hook you with. What do you mean with "pulling another Patrick Stewart?"

And why yes, that is a tank that can walk. And I completely understand the amazement over something that silly still being implemented. How do I know it's silly? Well, let me tell you something about a movie called "Wild Wild West" and a giant robot spider...

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Advanced fish AI 2.0 here we come! They could drop "warfare" from their title though. It's getting really silly, CoD Black Warfare next year?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I fell for the whole "future combat" thing with Black Ops 2 and got my hopes up. Not falling for that trick twice.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Certainly looks pretty, but why is Kevin Spacey repeating Loki's lines from the Avengers?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Not trying to hate on COD or anything, but the only things I really noticed about the trailer was where all the ultra low detail textures were and the lack of any expression on DigiSpacey's face.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAACCCEEE!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Look, I'm not one of those that keep saying "EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DIFFERENT, BUT AT THE SAME TIME EVERYTHING NEEDS TO STAY THE SAME" or "CALL OF DUTY IS JUST THE SAME NYAAARGGHUG" . If it offers anything new, I'll ask the COD nuts around me about it. If it's still the same thing like most of the COD games out there, I'll ask the same COD nuts around me.

COD always fell into "I'll check after it's released to see if it's any good".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Looks kinda interesting, from this vid it almost sounds like they are saying "screw it" and just going over the top, we shall see however. The last cod game I got I was disappointed with, ghost kinda sucked, the single player did have some cool set pieces though.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Honestly, those two halves of the trailer (spacey narration vs action) could've been lazily spliced together from two completely different sets of footage, as there's zero indication of one having anything to do with the other.

Guess that sums up CoD's approach to its story line. Why the hell they even still bother is beyond me.

But apart from that, I'm getting the sense that with every installment, CoD is inching a bit further towards Quake/UT style of flashy run and gun games - which definitely is a good thing.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
well... i am not surprised that Kevin Spacey is in the game, he played CoD (specifically the PS3 version, you can't say he doesn't have taste) all the time in his hit TV series House of Cards. in the show, he is shown playing more than CoD of course, but he does play it quite regularly. actually i think he is a gamer, and that when offered the role he jumped on it.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
No Andrea Rene, it is not "pretty great". It looks terrible with more bland CoD action scenes just with a tinge of desperation driving it to evade the shouts of its detractors.
Like any big name grab this blatent it's just bringing him in hopes that some of his prestige rubs off on them.
For Kevin Spacey he probably did all his lines in the bathroom as he took his poop, because this is just a pay check for him. I can't imagine Kevin Spacey was looking at someone play CoD and thought "Holy cow I got to be apart of that!"

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Ugh, another CoD title. Just the same old game again and again. There's hardly ever any significant change from game to game. Sure there are little changes - new (ridiculous!) story, new weapons, new maps, new modes, et cetera - but it's still the same run and gun game. Shoot everything on sight on new maps. Pathetic.

OWG, NEW POKEMON GAME! OMGOMGOMG!!! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

hardcorehero

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah Kevin Spacey looked at me before he did this. He gave a monologue regarding crushing his opposition and bolstering his own key points. He told me that he did it "for the paaawwaaa."
Apparently :/

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
why did this trailer remind me so much of crysis and titanfall combined? maybe because they did took it from both games? only because kevin is in it, doesnt mean its going to be good. it looks like COD with fancy weaponry and vehicles. like the others.
it might be interesting playing MP if they would implement these vehicles or even have the chance to double jump and spider-man up the wall, but when i think of it, it would be pretty much titanfall with a minor change.

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
How many times do you think they thought advanced warfighter was a good name before they realised they had to change some letters.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
I can't wait for Advanced Warfare 2 featuring the Harlem Globetrotters.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Don't waste a breath mourning the game industry. Every kitten grows up to be a cat. It seemed so harmless at first -loud, violent, lapping up their saucer of mountain dew- but once their claws get long enough, it draws blood. Sometimes from the hands of the consumers that feed it.

For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is but one rule: Pay or pay more.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
The addition of exoskeletons and other high tech might manage to give this game enough new stuff and gameplay elements to make CoD interesting again.

But I lost interest - and stopped buying - CoD after Modern Warfare 2. So it'd take something more than the standard "same game, some new weapons and crazy story" for me to give a damn again... else I might as well replay the two CoD I own.