Escapist News Now: Call of Duty Players - Not Even Gamers

siveon

Jan 21, 2012
It's the calm before the storm here.

Thoughts: Those who play just one series/title are not really gamers in my book. They are "insert-game-title-here" players. I don't like the label usage though. It brings upon heated arguments.

...Hopefully such arguments won't be found here. Right guys? Right?

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
I agree. Everyone I know who plays CoD "hardcore" has only one game: the latest CoD. Such people cannot be used to represent Gamers as a whole. CoD fans are certainly vast in number, but they are not the majority.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
...seriously dude?

No...seriously? Dude, dude, dude....seriously?

You know how fucking difficult it is to be a gamer and a Call of Duty fan? Do you have any clue what you have just done to your gamer fan-base? Any at all?

Alright, probably nothing but still; it's hard enough to justify getting the game every year as they seem to just be falling apart and you saying that non-gamers are the ones buying Call of Duty is not helping the situation.

I am a gamer who plays Call of Duty. You are making part two of that sentence look less and less appealing...

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
I'm just going to weigh in on my personal experiences;

There's types like me, who play most of everything under the sun, like CoD, Battlefield, Total War, Civilization, StarCraft, Guild Wars, Company of Heroes, Splinter Cell, every freaking main Pokemon game from Red Version to X. Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, XCOM, both the original UFO Defense and Enemy Unknown. Call of Duty to me isn't a bad game, nor do I rag on it for sticking to it's formula. I hate the way the fan base is being full of 9 - 35 year olds using childish insults over a game, it's sad, truly.

Then there's types that, which I compare to my uncle, that buy an Xbox and play mostly CoD, Skyrim, maybe two other games that are extremely popular. Casuals I guess they call them. My uncle is no where near a "gamer", or what'd I'd consider one. What even is a definition of a gamer? Whatever it is, I'm sure they play more than just this year's CoD.

But I agree with Rubin. Most people who play CoD play it just to "conform". When you compare Call of Duty to Battlefield, it's like comparing iPhones to Samsungs.

Eh, I hope I explained that the way I wanted it to come out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
One of the most popular mainstream game franchises in existence apparently doesn't represent "the average gamer".
Technically, that could be true, but I seriously doubt it.

No game sells as well as e^CoD without having a fairly broad appeal and e^CoD is chock ful of lowest common denominator crap all the way down to the mechanical level.

Either you fall into the category of "gamer" who doesn't really care about this "No True Scotsman" business, or you do.

As for the rest of the spiel; it's just a bunch of wank.
"Our game is sooo popular, it will break GTA5's record, and we will be back on top."

Though it smacks a bit of jealousy to have to come out and comment on breaking Rockstar's record again.
If I were him, I'd just keep quiet and let the numbers speak for themselves come launch if I were that confident. At least then I wouldn't look like a jackass braying enviously over my main competition this season.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
No, the really ironic thing is that the casual CoD crowd are the ones whose wallets are dictating the dumbing down of games as a whole and ruining things for actual gamers. That's what is the most upsetting thing about all this. I have a feeling the next slab of mediocrity will outsell GTA5 and nothing in the industry will change until something else new and shiny distracts the typical CoD player and that becomes the new "cool" thing. Here's hoping they all suddenly discover survival horror, so I can finally have my good old Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. back.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Elberik said:
I agree. Everyone I know who plays CoD "hardcore" has only one game: the latest CoD. Such people cannot be used to represent Gamers as a whole. CoD fans are certainly vast in number, but they are not the majority.
Yeah, perhaps but they are certainly still gamers. Besides, who says that you must play a variety of games to be a hardcore gamer? A hardcore gamer to me is someone who takes gaming serious enough to play it extensively pretty much every day. And if that game happened to be only one particular game, CoD, then they are still hardcore gamers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Do you have any clue what you have just done to your gamer fan-base? Any at all?
Nothing new. Just more public.

Atmos Duality said:
If I were him, I'd just keep quiet and let the numbers speak for themselves come launch if I were that confident. At least then I wouldn't look like a jackass braying enviously over my main competition this season.
He probably isn't that confident, and that's why he's talking.

Activision already went into damage control over pre-orders, saying effectively the opposite of what Rubin is saying--of course pre-orders are low, gamers are divided over the console generation issue!--so I think the writing's on the wall here in terms of their confidence. And I think with a game like CoD, that's saying something.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'm fairly sure a large portion of COD players do play it exclusivly... well, along with maybe Fifa.

OH BLOODY HELL! This is just a dumb discussion, not to mention pointless. I don't like COD, I also don't care about COD, i'm all for debate but this just seems really silly.

COD is dragging other games down with it... no, no it's not. It's the detached wankers dictating how the games are made, at least this guy seems to know the trends in his audience. Do we call rom-coms shit for the fact every film has to have a poxy love interest in it? NO!... we call rom-coms shit for a myriad of other reasons.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Any person who plays about 2 to 3 games shouldn`t call themselves gamers. And even if i don`t like the term and i never use it to describe myself, i do play a lot of games. I do play some COD from time to time and i can understand its appeal; kill stuff easy, respawn quick, repeat. And the singleplayer has some cool setpieces. I also get why people hate it; it`s released every year with no major improvement or new feature and it does nothing to help the industry except make it friendlier to people who might not be interested in games all that much.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So wait... because I play COD, Im not a gamer, even though Im playing a number of other games besides COD...

Interesting...

Well, in all seriousness, I think I get what they're saying. People who play COD and buy each new game everyyear arent "gamers", but "COD fans".

As I se it, this should be viewed be other developers as proff that you cant really dislodge COD players from their ways, and get them to buy your shitty COD ripoff game. COD players know what they like, and will buy what they like. Everything else be damned...

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
trty00 said:
At first I was all: 'whaaaaaa?'

But then I was all: 'yeah, that's probably kind of accurate'

When I think about it, I know more people who just play Call of Duty than I do people who play Call of Duty and consider themselves gamers. In several ways, it's similar to Wii Sports in that it's just ended up appealing far more 'outsiders' than 'insiders.' In fact, some people are even going as far as buying an Xbox One or a PS4 at launch solely for the next CoD, and don't give a rat's ass about anything else.

As for those comments about beating Grand Theft Auto V's records? I'm going to take this time and emphatically say: FUCK NO, YOU'RE NOT! And I'm not just saying that as someone who has forever been enamored with the GTA series, I say that as an intelligent person. on top of everything Ms.(or Mrs.)Rene already mentioned, I'm fairly certain GTA V is highest grossing entertainment thingy EVER. There's even estimates that one in seven people bought two, and the PC, PS4, and Xbox One versions aren't even out yet! So, forgive me if I'm not holding my breath with anticipation.
Hey, I'd love for GTA5 to keep it's records, and this is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in GTA whatsoever. The whole series has always just put me off, due to the overwhelming sleaze and especially in 5 with it's characters. But there are more people with bad taste in games than there are good ones, thus I believe the records will be broken.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
To me a gamer is basically just a person who plays video games (if you google definition of gamer it comes up with "a person who plays a game or games, typically a participant in a computer or role-playing game"). If CoD players are "not even gamers" then surely that means CoD releases aren't games in which case what the hell are they?

I'm not saying I disagree necessarily, CoD has been pretty much dead in the water since World at War with the zombie survival mode seemingly being the only part of the game to have developed since then. Based on that I certainly wouldn't say that the large number of people who only play CoD and no other games (apart from possibly Fifa or Madden) fit into the same group as the wider 'gamer audience, I'm just curious as to why someone would indirectly describe their very expensive new AAA title as not being a proper game.

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
WanderingFool said:
So wait... because I play COD, Im not a gamer, even though Im playing a number of other games besides COD...

Interesting...

Well, in all seriousness, I think I get what they're saying. People who play COD and buy each new game everyyear arent "gamers", but "COD fans".

As I se it, this should be viewed be other developers as proff that you cant really dislodge COD players from their ways, and get them to buy your shitty COD ripoff game. COD players know what they like, and will buy what they like. Everything else be damned...

If you're playing other games along with COD, then yes you are a gamer. The people I and others are talking about are the type of person who plays COD and only COD and refuses to play anything else that's not COD. If you play other games and enjoy them for reasons other than "they're like Call of Duty," then you're not the problem.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I kinda agree, and would say that those who buy CoD games and play theme exclusively, and nothing else, should just be called CoD fans. If they branch out a little, then we're all good. But if that's all that you're gonna play, and never wanna play anything else, then... Yeah, it's been said already

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I always thought that the term "gamer" as referring to some concrete demographic is silly. So, someone who only plays COD primarily isn't considered a gamer, even though they may be playing for more of their free time than any other of their hobbies? By that theory, people who only play in one genre may not be considered gamers. Not to mention the disconnect between tabletop and video games.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Pff. I find this whole thing a little bit stupid to be honest. Throwing around sweeping statements because of bunch of people play a game.
Making them gamers, just by the way whether one likes it or not. Farmville players were gamers too.

There is no news here and no information of importance. (and in my opinion just using this subject because it's known that raising the subject of CoD always brings arguments)
Again, this is such a silly "thing"... I really shouldn't indulge stuff like this. Yet here I am.
Bad me.