Escapist News Now: Call of Duty Players - Not Even Gamers

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
If you play other games and enjoy them for reasons other than "they're like Call of Duty," then you're not the problem.
And if one is playing just CoD and other shooters, then they're a "problem"?

Elitist much?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So if we were to use the same criteria as Mr. Reuben, if someone played nothing but Dwarf Fortress they wouldn't be a "gamer" either?

I don't really care about Call of Duty, but it seems silly to dismiss the players as not being "gamers." The very title of "gamer" is pretty much superfluous anyway since the vast majority of the general public plays video games in some form.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
TomWiley said:
who says that you must play a variety of games to be a hardcore gamer?
the guy from Infinity Ward.

TomWiley said:
A hardcore gamer to me is someone who takes gaming serious enough to play it extensively pretty much every day. And if that game happened to be only one particular game, CoD, then they are still hardcore gamers.
The point was that CoD players do not represent the average gamer. CoD is a singular, specialized, & specific experience that barely scratches the surface of what video games can offer.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
It takes a LOT of skill to play a FPS game well. I consider CoD gamers to be as hardcore as I'd consider a StarCraft 2, Street Fighter 4, or DOTA gamer to be. You can't just sit down and play a CoD game online and be successful. Casuals/'non-gamers' can certainly have fun playing online that could be said about any of the above titles I mentioned.

I see no way that Ghost will surpass GTA5. CoD comes out every year and GTA had something like a five year gap. There's a lot of hype that generates when a series has had some time away from the spotlight. If Skyrim came out 1 year after Oblivion I'm confident it wouldn't have gotten the reception it did.

Ghost will outperform all prior MW games but I don't think it'll really come close to GTA5.

Note: I'm a fan of CoD single player only and I dislike the GTA series (especially 4, haven't played 5).

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
It's a difficult question ;) There are people who play only WW2 shooters and then there are people who prefer to play real time strategies exclusively and then there is this strange crowd of simplayers that only plays Arma or DCS. I'd consider them all to be gamers if you are devoting a lot of your free time into something not only doing it but also reading about it and talking about it that makes you an enthusiast and what are gaming enthusiasts called if not gamers :p.

As much as I dislike CoD, its fans are here to stay but it's not that bad, we don't have to step on each other's toes. Just shut up and do what you like to do and we will all live in peace and prosperity.

MPZero

Sep 8, 2010
i havent relly considerd COD Games to be games for gammers sins MW2... and the tradigy that was. its more of a quick casual gamplay with no fuss and simple.

i did however love COD MW single player was truly awsome,

as for Ghost beting GTA V? i dont seeing it doing it, at all or even close. a lot of people playing the CoD games iv seen have slowing been geting turnd off of them more and more an are less likly to thorw down the money for this one,

i might get proven wrong but i relly dont see it happening

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i would like to say that Cod players not being gamers and instead being some kind of algae filtering primitive life form is correct
but they play video games even if it is only one series of games i find banal they not be as enthusiastic as my self or many others but that makes them still gamers even if and i am making a generalization here their behavior brings the community into disrepute

and as for breaking the GTA records i highly doubt it GTA is a series that has been highly anticipated among the community for a long time and rockstar has done a good job at marketing it and it appeales to a large market even the more casual gamers i know who buy maybe 2 or 3 titles a year have all bought copies of GTA
COD on the other hand has a niche market of (another generalization) man babies who i thing might be getting tapped out with the endless squeals and MP which i think is the main draw for those "people" is probally going to be the same sequel after sequel