Escapist News Now: Ellen Page Vs. Naughty Dog

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Ellen Page Vs. Naughty Dog

Ellen Page says she's not appreciative that Ellie, a character from Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, looks like her.

Watch Video

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I think there is sufficient differences in the final release version of ellie over the original early designs for it to avoid legal parties.

But at the end of the day, Naughty Dog did, quite obviously, use Ellen Page's likeness when modelling ellie, even if it was only a placeholder. I'm kind of surprised by this, it sounds like Ellen wasn't even consulted by Naughty Dog and if that's the case I can see how this could be a problem for Ellen.

It depends how the matter is judged... from the perspective of an entire production process or by the final product.

I doubt this will go beyond some letters/calls to and fro, but you never know.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that the coverage from this site seems to paint it as a far worse issue then Ellens initial reaction. As far as I remember she just said, "I should probably be flattered, but (because I'm currently in another game) I'm not sure* I appreciate it".

*I can't remember if she was definitely unappreciative of it, or conflicted.

That's a far cry from being a "VS" scenario. Even so, it is at naughty dogs feet if this does explode, but given the success of The Last of US, I can only see Ellen being torn apart by angry fans.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I think the real problem here is that Ellen Page looks too much like "generic teenage girl", which is part of what got her cast in Juno to begin with. Can't help that sometimes other "generic teenage girl" video game models will look similar.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Yeah. For some reason the games industry seems to have a weird thing for Ellen Page.

Not a crush. More like a desire to be her father figure or something.

S'creepy.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
I think the real problem here is that Ellen Page looks too much like "generic teenage girl", which is part of what got her cast in Juno to begin with. Can't help that sometimes other "generic teenage girl" video game models will look similar.
Freaking exactly! Hmmm, let's create a character model to look like your average brown haired, white, middle-class girl. Oh, she kinda of looks like Ellen Page? That's strange, because she also looks like a hefty portion of the girls I went to middle school, high school, and university with.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
This is the sentence I said right after I saw the trailer for Last of Us.

"Ha, this and Beyond Two Souls. I'm glad Ellen Page is working in so many high profile games"

After hearing this news I'm reminded of this

Damn Naughty Dog, you got her face.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
mokes310 said:
Avaholic03 said:
Freaking exactly! Hmmm, let's create a character model to look like your average brown haired, white, middle-class girl. Oh, she kinda of looks like Ellen Page? That's strange, because she also looks like a hefty portion of the girls I went to middle school, high school, and university with.
Another person who agrees with this, I have few friends I knew at school that looked like her. She needs to get over it, take it as a compliment if she was the inspiration or something. They weren't selling the game with "her" (being Ellen Page) as a selling point.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Good God, how the fuck is this even considered news? Ellen Page makes a dismissive remark and everyone loses their fucking minds. Ridiculous.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Honestly, I just don't see it. Ellie just looks like Generic Little Girl #382 while Ellen Page just looks like a *****. Hey-ohhhhh!

I do find it funny that character Ellen believes stole her soul likeness is named Ellie. :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Grape_Bullion said:
Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.
"Less than no evidence"?

Such as, say, the girl having essentially the same name?

Or the fact that they suddenly adjusted Ellie's appearance right as Ellen Page signed up for Two Souls, "by coincidence"?

Or how about the fact that dozens of people, including me, totally thought it was Ellen Page and this was the game she was acting in?

Yeah, I can see why she's annoyed.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt she cast for the voice of Ellie back when the game was in production?

Although, now that I think about it it might have been someone just saying it sounded and looked like Ellen Page in early previews.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
Did Ellen Page get offered the part of Ellie first? Ellie looked exactly like Ellen Page before the changes after the changes Ellie still looks a hell of a lot like Ellen Page. I think it is cool, I'd be more upset that Ms. Page wasn't given the opportunity to voice, and Mo-cap Ellie.

Sep 24, 2008
Grape_Bullion said:
Our face isn't our meal ticket.

Ellen Page's face is.

As 'non-news' as this might be, Likenesses are a big deal in the Media [http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/using-name-or-likeness-another] aspect of things. Also, given Naughty Dog's comments that it's 'merely coincidence', they themselves are giving validity to Page's comments. Actually, by merely mentioning she's bothered by it and not doing anything else, she's being really cool. If you followed the link, you could see she could very well sue and get a pay day.

Jun 20, 2013
chozo_hybrid said:
mokes310 said:
Avaholic03 said:
Another person who agrees with this, I have few friends I knew at school that looked like her. She needs to get over it, take it as a compliment if she was the inspiration or something. They weren't selling the game with "her" (being Ellen Page) as a selling point.
Same here. The first time I saw Ellen Page, I thought she had a striking appearance to like 30 girls I went to school with eons ago.

OT: Is it me, or does she seem to be perpetually trapped in a specific age? Is it some kind of glandular dysfunction?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, as long as she isn't going as far as suing them, I think she's more than entitled to make such a comment. I could certainly see a passing resemblance, and certainly one could argue that they're the same "type". But just as "manic pixie dream girl" doesn't belong to one particular actress, neither does "waifish teenage girl who's tougher than she looks" belong solely to Ellen Page.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Grape_Bullion said:
Before you go ranting about Ellen Page go read what she wrote. This is a bunch of nonsense getting stirred up by sites like The Escapist.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Avaholic03 said:
Completely agree with you here. The only similarity I see is the small build. Their faces are very different, in my eyes.

This all just reminds me of the most annoying view that any band with a female singer sounds like Paramore.