Escapist News Now: Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff Launches

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff Launches

Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff launches today in the App Store and Google Play Store and features new original content written and voice by Family Guy talent from the Fox TV series.

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If the "Buy" screen doesn't have Stewie saying "I want my money man!" from the episode where Brian owed him a gambling debt, then they have missed a huge opportunity. Just sayin'.

http://youtu.be/ZomwVcGt0LE

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Not pay to win" yet they have "speed ups" in a single player game.

It's F2P and it's mobile, so that garbage is to be expected I suppose.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Did they call it "not pay to win" themselves? If so, they're a big bunch of liars. But this is mobile development, so might as well make people pay for the game to be playable!

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
"and it's free to play so there's things you can buy."

Yeah, no thanks. The quality of games I've been playing has gone way up since I've stopped touching anything with that business model.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Wearing that Chevron necklace is just asking for trouble, Andrea.

I mean its upside down, but still in the right location as per guidelines for military BDUs [battle dress uniform]. Though from what i remember its not supposed to clash with what your wearing or else it makes the camouflage pointless.

ALSO FamGuy stealing from the Simpsons... again. Except the last Gen Simpson's game was pretty fun & really funny. Both which werent stolen for FamGuy Multiverse.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Folji said:
Did they call it "not pay to win" themselves? If so, they're a big bunch of liars.
No, it's true. There is no winning when it comes to these games.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
Folji said:
Did they call it "not pay to win" themselves? If so, they're a big bunch of liars.
lol that's legit. i would say wait till the thing comes out. So long as you don't have to wait 24 hours to build one thing (a.l.a. Dungeon Keeper Mobile), I don't see a problem. Barring side stories, like the Mermaid Peter thing, seems like a good way to go; pay only for what parts of the game you want too play..... so long as you don't have to buy an ending, it's a good idea.... bbbbbbuuuuuuuttttt..... being as how abusive mobile games tend to be toward the free to play model, gotta wait to see if it's a piece of shit... sad that all F2P mobile games are guilty by association, but ill be damned if they didn't earn the scrutiny.

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
I think Andrea's necklace is trying to tell me something.
In all seriousness, these games are boring as hell, even without pay-to-win mechanics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not much interested in an app game... though it would be cool if the Family Guy team decided to do something similar to the "Stick Of Truth" game which was great... so good in fact that I was kind of sad there wasn't more of it given how long it took to develop. :)

To be fair I actually think "Family Guy" might be better for what "South Park" tried to do because their humor, as random as it is, tends to be a lot more varied. South Park almost inevitably comes back to butt/buttsex jokes and the like (taking it to the extreme in the final "dungeon" before the finale)... which is actually accurate to the source material so I won't complain, Family Guy has a generally more varied set of gags... but admittedly doesn't do gross out humor quite as well (but then again that's why they would work as separate games, since they wouldn't be identical despite some overlap).

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Leonardo Huizar said:
Wearing that Chevron necklace is just asking for trouble, Andrea.

I mean its upside down, but still in the right location as per guidelines for military BDUs [battle dress uniform]. Though from what i remember its not supposed to clash with what your wearing or else it makes the camouflage pointless.

ALSO FamGuy stealing from the Simpsons... again. Except the last Gen Simpson's game was pretty fun & really funny. Both which werent stolen for FamGuy Multiverse.
I immediately thought of the signs indicating a sharp curve ahead - that I see driving on winding mountain roads. I'm not saying it's bad - it's not (maybe a bit... bold, but it's neat so, yah) - I'm just saying what it reminded me of.

This game looks like garbage though, so the necklace is more fun. But I ought to say something on topic so...

Hey they made a not-game about that one show! Now everyone can relive all the hilarious moments that one show already relived... ad infinum... you remember? HOORAY! All the references, referenced again for your reference! No jokes getting in the way of the comedy fun here - set up and pay off is for chumps! Also, MOBILE! Also x 2, MICROTRANSACTIONS! --- I'll stop there.

And The "face space" bit - that's aped from * cough, hack, wheez * that's a "reference" from Granddad discussing social media in The Boondocks.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Escapist News Now said:
Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff Launches

Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff launches today in the App Store and Google Play Store and features new original content written and voice by Family Guy talent from the Fox TV series.

Watch Video
Let me explain something to all the F2P shell game peddlers out there who pay big bucks to have video game news sites run fluff pieces and hype instead of doing actual reporting:

Pay-for-speed is actually much worse than pay-to-win.

And everybody but you, the advertiser, knows it.

It's like a million times worse. With pay-to-win, at least you know what you're getting for your money. With pay-for-speed, the only thing that's certain is that they started with a fun game, then broke it so it would be un-fun unless you pay extra every single time you've got the app open.

This is nothing but Tapped Out all over again. It's as bad as Dungeon Keeper, but with a more mainstream brand attached to it, so you can piss off even more people who play it, buy some stuff, and then regret their decisions.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Martin Drkos said:
Hey, why are there Family Guy characters in the Simpsons: Tapped Out?
My thought exactly. It's the same basic plot with the same core idea and core mechanics. Guess the dev team looked at the ton of cash Simpsons made and said 'yep. We want some of that.'

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Oh, cool, a pay-to-win Family Guy game that almost looks like it's trying to ride the coat tails of the outstanding South Park game that just came out which featured a story written by the show creators, actual voice acting, and cutscenes that looked like genuine show scenes. It even uses the faux-facebook mechanic throughout the game which played prominently in the South Park Stick of Truth. No thanks, better luck next time.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Games like these are the worst kind of freemium title. There are cases where free to play games that have microtransaction options work out just fine...this is not one of them, and unfortunately the ones that are bad are the ones that form the most lasting opinions.

Games like Middle Manager of Justice are free and I've never felt like I had to spend a dime, but you never hear about that game, do ya?

As a mobile gamer, it makes me sad to see stuff like this.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
Folji said:
So it's all a big loophole, clever cogs!