Escapist News Now: GTA 5 Collector's Edition

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
GTA 5 Collector's Edition

Rockstar Games announced details on the Special Edition and Collector's Edition of Grand Theft Auto 5.

Watch Video

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah... I'm not falling for this pre-order nonsense any more.

I've enjoyed all the GTA games but none of that stuff stands out as anything that I desperately want in my life, certainly not at those prices. Plus the in-game content will be DLC eventually and you know the standard editions will contain more than enough content to keep you going until then.

So yeah, no deal Rockstar.

honeybakedham

Sep 29, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:

I've enjoyed all the GTA games but none of that stuff stands out as anything that I desperately want in my life, certainly not at those prices. Plus the in-game content will be DLC eventually and you know the standard editions will contain more than enough content to keep you going until then.

I cannot agree with that any more than I already do.

If you want to release premium editions with swag, fine... I'll settle for just the game. But seriously guys, quit making content just for people who dole out more money than you've earned by developing the game. It's fine, I suppose, that it is just cosmetic stuff... although having premium perks that enhance your character's abilities? Really?

First, why should the game be easier for the guy who blew an extra thirty or forty bucks at launch?

But also, why would I blow said extra cash to make the experience less challenging? It's a bad idea either way you look at it. Make the game be the game.

As a big fan of GTA, I'll be buying this on release (and I never buy on release because at my age, I just don't feel that "gotta get it now" sensation anymore) but I'll just be buying the standard priced edition, and I'll probably be very happy playing it.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
They'll probably just release all of the extra swag a few months later as a DLC, as they always do. So I'll probably just hold out for that.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
By Jim I hate these fucking special editions. As far as I'm concerned there should be one edition and only one available at launch, the vanilla game. With a collector's edition later, if it's merited, or one encompassing all DLC released after launch (like the PTD Edition of Dark Souls). All these other editions function in the same way launch DLC and preorder bonuses do, they manipulate people into thinking that they don't have the full game, something which should not happen ever at launch. People should feel satisfied with the vanilla game. What's more, the extra content that is in these special editions is a ridiculously small portion of the game considering the savings you're missing out on and the security of knowing if you want the game or need the extras. Basically, it's a way to sell a small amount of extra content for a lot more than it deserves.

I can sort of see how long series might be justified with a Collector's Edition right out the door, but I'm still not happy about any edition that includes extra content. Paraphernalia, a nice box, a real map, all fine. Extra missions/weapons/bonuses, not ok. You should be selling one game at launch, at one price, content-identical at all locations.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
honeybakedham said:
I cannot agree with that any more than I already do.

If you want to release premium editions with swag, fine... I'll settle for just the game. But seriously guys, quit making content just for people who dole out more money than you've earned by developing the game. It's fine, I suppose, that it is just cosmetic stuff... although having premium perks that enhance your character's abilities? Really?

First, why should the game be easier for the guy who blew an extra thirty or forty bucks at launch?

But also, why would I blow said extra cash to make the experience less challenging? It's a bad idea either way you look at it. Make the game be the game.

As a big fan of GTA, I'll be buying this on release (and I never buy on release because at my age, I just don't feel that "gotta get it now" sensation anymore) but I'll just be buying the standard priced edition, and I'll probably be very happy playing it.
I agree with your comment about in-game content that makes it easier for players. Why would any gamer be swayed to pre-order simply to obtain such benefits anyway? I imagine most of us play games for at least a little challenge; offering such a boost from the get go seems antithetical to the whole point of gaming.

I have to admit to still having a little of that "OMG I want it now!" childish attitude but I'm learning to be more sensible about my purchases. Collector's editions of games are becoming increasingly disappointing anyway.

Living in the UK and seeing game releases a little later than the USA has actually turned out to be quite useful. It means that now I can see the professional reviews a couple of days before release and judge for myself whether it's worth buying the game. Since the game hasn't been released in the UK at that point it means I can still "pre-order" and catch that "day one" window of delivery.

But no amount of stupid in-game content is going to force me to pre-order a game I essentially know nothing about. If I don't know how good the core content is, why would I risk buying additional content right off the bat?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Special edition... maybe, not mad about the character boost.

Collectors edition... not a chance in hell... way too much for a glorified baseball cap and zip up bag

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Proverbial Jon said:

Pretty much, besides I am doing my part to dissuade this stupid practice.

In fact the only game I pre-ordered in the last half-decade was Arma 3 but only because I would get instant access to the alpha and beta in addition to Operation Flashpoint, a DRM free complete soundtrack, and some other goodies. Seriously, what other pre-order gives you instant access to not only the Alpha and Beta but a complete version of one of the previous games in the series?!!!