Escapist News Now: New Details on Mario Kart 8

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
New Details on Mario Kart 8

Today Nintendo showed a new gameplay trailer for the highly anticipated Mario Kart 8 for Wii U.

Watch Video

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Aw yes, soon Waluigi shall rule the track once more!
One of my most popular videos is the Mario Kart Wii race I had with my friends, and god damn are we excited for this game. Hopefully the rubber band AI isn't as bad is was in Mario Kart Wii because that's what really marred the game for me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
That looks gorgeous! I have just preordered mine, comes with a blue shell statue XD

Neronium said:
One of my most popular videos is the Mario Kart Wii race I had with my friends, and god damn are we excited for this game. Hopefully the rubber band AI isn't as bad is was in Mario Kart Wii because that's what really marred the game for me.
What is rubber band AI?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
What is rubber band AI?
The faster you go, the faster the CPUs go, often times they are programmed to go faster than you. It also works in reverse in that the slower you go, the slower the CPUs are supposed to go. Sometimes the rubber band AI doesn't slow down though when you trigger it, and it can lead to disastorous results. Best example of rubber band AI gone wrong, Canary Mary's races in Cloud Cuckooland. During the races if you trigger Canary Mary's rubber band AI it doesn't disengage like how it's supposed to:

Notice how Canary Mary suddenly caught up at the end of the second race? It was because her rubber band AI was triggered and when she based him, the AI kept going. If you trigger it sooner then it just gets worse. The 360 port of Banjo Tooie also has it quite bad as well, with the rubber band AI triggering sooner as I've seen when my friend was streaming Banjo Tooie.

Now all racing games usually have rubber band AI, but Mario Kart Wii's was just plain bad rubber band AI. Rubber band AI usually goes unnoticed, but you can notice it a lot in Mario Kart Wii if you look for it. Some examples of good Rubber band AI include Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart Double Dash, Diddy Kong Racing, and Mario Kart DS.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
chozo_hybrid said:
That looks gorgeous! I have just preordered mine, comes with a blue shell statue XD

Neronium said:
What is rubber band AI?
AI that goes faster or slower depending on where you are. In a lot of the games you can warp a lap ahead then start off behind and you cant even catch the 8th place guy cause his top speed gets absurd. Or you can start in 8th and just hover around the 7th place guy and you can actually drag them back cause he won't go as fast as he can. Plus item drop rates favor those behind.

SethAbercromby

Apr 26, 2013
For a second I actually thought they would remix Double Dash because of the opening shot. Kind of misleading image usage there. Anyhow, it does look fun, even though the Boomerang and Piranha plant seem a bit more powerful then they should be, but then again, we do have Bullet Bill and it's too soon to jump to conclusions yet. I'm interested to see how the game will ultimately turn out to be.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I have not seen the trailer but I can feel rage already from Rainbow road. Sweet God the Wii version of that track kicked my ass. I accept your challenge Nintendo with a face hardened by videogame experiences I will finally come first in Rainbow Road this I declare.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
It's been a while since I've seriously played a Mario Kart game. I've played a bit of Double Dash and the Wii version, but I played the original and 64 like it was a religion. I think it's about time I got back on the kart.