Escapist News Now: New Doom Details From QuakeCon

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
New Doom Details From QuakeCon

The remake of Doom was revealed this week at QuakeCon 2014 this week, hinting at a return to the classic FPS gameplay with all kinds of crazy melee attacks. Bethesda also used QuakeCon to announce that The Evil Within will be coming out a little earlier than planned.

Watch Video

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
It's id Software. id. Id. ID. Not eye-dee.
Ya know I didn't even hear that from the guy, because it doesn't matter. Why? Because DOOM's goin' old school, and that's what matters.

Please let there be gibbing, please let there be gibbing,please let there be gibbing.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Glad to know I wasn't the only one grinding my teeth about "eye dee" :) And yes, old school original style Doom sounds good to me. Very good.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I came in to gripe about "I.D." software, and got triple ninja'd. I guess I will just say I'm not down with "mealy" combat.

Now, if we are done being jerks I wonder which enemies we might see coming back to Doom. Will we see just the classics? Will we also get the invisible imps from Doom 64, or mancubi, pain elementals, revenants, arachnotrons, and arch viles?

I'm hoping we don't get the baby things from Doom 3, or the cyborg Pinkies, or the Hell Barons.

The one clip of the new Cyber Demon is alright, but I'm hoping for a lot of new enemies. I'd be fine if they got rid of all the zombies actually.

Above all else I hope the game isn't dark all the damn time. Nothing says action like not being able to see a damn thing 90% of the time, or having to rely on a fucking flashlight to see anything but not actually be able to fight AND see at the same time.

The original had dark areas, but they were sprinkled around not the default lighting of every level. They also had these handy glasses you could pick up to make it bright as day. Leave it to the UAC to forget about awesome goggle technology in favor of a cheap flashlight that apparently takes both hands to use.

I never gave Rage a chance, but I heard terrible things about it. I hated Doom 3, and quit playing it a few hours in since I was only borrowing it and the Xbox anyways.

So Id has a lot of ground to retake in order to get back the cred they haven't really had since...I can't even remember. I'm surprised they went with a new Doom and not a Quake reboot actually.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I sincerely hope the rumors are true for the direction the new DOOM game is going. I haven't felt excited for a game in years. But otherwise I'm still waiting on some legitimate gameplay footage before I fully immerse myself in the hype.

Vladimir Eremeyev

Sep 23, 2012
I seriously hope that by all this they meant they took cues from Brutal Doom. Otherwise it'll be really average FPS game not worthy of DooM name.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
How is Bethesda moving up the release of a game that had already been pushed back "unprecedented?" The fuckers did the same thing with Brink. That said, if Brink is any indicator, I'll "wait and see" on Evil within.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
Wow, everything about PC gaming that I know of somehow traces its roots back to this original Doom, even friggin Half Life for god's sake. I can't wait to get this game, me playing the original now would be a disservice, I can't handle that amount of old school, call me a "new fag" if you want.

On another note, excited for Evil Within also, somehow the impossible happened I guess.