Escapist News Now: New Firefly Project In The Works

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
New Firefly Project In The Works

First you'll need a crew. Well, first you'll need an iOS or Android device; then you'll need a crew.

Watch Video

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I have no problem whatsoever with something that expands the Firefly world to beyond the hull of that one ship. There's a lot of worldbuilding that can be done, and I'd revel in it. Not sure how I feel about it being just for mobile as an MMO, but I guess I'll have to see what they intend to do with it first.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Oh great. They'll cancel the show and never even consider bringing it back, but they'll definitely milk it for what's destined to be a crappy mobile tie-in game.

Just another reminder that we live in a world where IP means "cash flow" and not a work of art made with passion.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
If it's coming out in 2014 that means it's been in the works for at least the last two years // How ave they been able to keep this quiet for so long?

My other question is: Why? // I know the brand name of Firefly carries a lot of weight in the Nerd community but does it have the same weight in the online MMO community?

-M

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
There is already a firefly MMO on PC, it's called EVE Online.

But really, MMOs on Android and iOS have never been a good thing and have been nothing more than facebook style games. If they want to make a good MMO, it needs to be on PC, or at least consoles. To make it work, they'd need to avoid the WoW model, which all MMOs seem to follow and crash and burn, but instead, follow the EVE model.

All that being said, I highly doubt this is going to be a AAA MMO, it will be more akin to the Battlestar Galactica MMO.

kittymalt

Jun 4, 2013
Stevepinto3 said:
Oh great. They'll cancel the show and never even consider bringing it back, but they'll definitely milk it for what's destined to be a crappy mobile tie-in game.

Just another reminder that we live in a world where IP means "cash flow" and not a work of art made with passion.
I have to dig deep into my inner optimist to even say this but has any one considered that maybe the goal was to test how big of a reaction a firefly game could get with first a small low risk mobile game, and if the demand is big enough then follow it up with a bigger maybe even triple A title?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ugh. Really? Why bring this one back other than Money Money Money, ain't it funny, it's a corrupt uncreative world.

Just think about it. What's in the Firefly universe that makes it unique compared to all the other sci if universes? FUCK ALL! Fuck whoever thought of this.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Nazulu said:
Ugh. Really?
I was also going to start my post with the same sign of disgust.

Online? Yet another title throwing itself into the online breach. But this time, it's a beloved title that they can't hope to do justice to in such a format. I mean, maybe if it were blizzard or something, but this market is a death trap for IPs. A full-blown AAA title would have been great.

As for the title of this thread/article. I was hoping Netflix was rebooting it somehow. "project" = intentionally vague. But thanks for the heads up. Maybe it'll be fantastic.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Nazulu said:
Just think about it. What's in the Firefly universe that makes it unique compared to all the other sci if universes?
A well-acted cast with an amazing director? Zing!

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
No offense to the presenter but need to work on enunciation or the sound levels/mic are off on this video.

Robert Hilliker

Jan 10, 2012
An updated version of Escape Velocity is my best bet. I remember back in the day how much the show seemed to mirror my adventures in that game.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
I never really got the appeal of Firefly, and neither did an audience big enough to keep it around. Throw it into an MMO and make it only available for phones? Whoever thought this would be successful should be drug out into the street and shot.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
That was the cruelest story title ever - "Hey guys there's a new Firefly project! ....*ahmn* itsaniphoneexclusivemmo. See you next time!"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm pleased to see anything moving on any kind of Firefly-related property, but the fact that it's launching on mobile makes me afraid that it's going to be a "play for ten minutes and set aside" kind of affair with lots of "Fly to ($location), pick up ($object), deliver to ($NPC) on ($location), collect ($reward)." Not exactly the kind of story that fans of the franchise are champing at the bit for.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Grape_Bullion said:
I never really got the appeal of Firefly, and neither did an audience big enough to keep it around. Throw it into an MMO and make it only available for phones? Whoever thought this would be successful should be drug out into the street and shot.
To be entirely fair, one of the primary reasons it didn't get an audience is because the executives at Fox were actively trying to sabotage it so they didn't need to keep spending money on it.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
AuronFtw said:
Nazulu said:
Just think about it. What's in the Firefly universe that makes it unique compared to all the other sci if universes?
A well-acted cast with an amazing director? Zing!
I see your zing and crush it with [link]http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page[/link] ;)

Well-scripted, well-acted, interesting characters, amazing story arcs and more layers, twists, turns & tiny little details that seem irrelevant at the time but turn out to be huge threads than jj abrams could hide in a billion lens flare filters.

Also,

What more do I need to say, really?