Escapist News Now: New Mass Effect Mako Animation and First Details!

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Makoooo!!! It's not as nice looking as the original but if I can roam around in it I'll at least bite. I do like the snow travel, but at this point I'm cautious with anything BW is releasing on ME4 just because of the fiasco they produced last round with lovely promises like 14 endings, meaningful conclusions to all your choices, and no A,B,C ending choices.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure that buggy POS in Mass Effect 1 must have been an ancient prototype with a buggy mass effect drive.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Yay! The Mako now actually looks like something someone would actually drive!

Now, if we're talking about a few years in development, can we ask for maps that are a little less bland for us to drive on? The snow is a good step in the right direction, but I would love to see a forest planet as well.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
I want to know more about the multiplayer, it's likely the only part of the game I'll play (if it's not a sequel or AU I'm not interested in the single player).

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Main character can only be human? How disappointingly boring. The team making Dragon Age figured out what the fans like, why can't they talk to the Mass Effect guys? Aren't they in the same office?

I am happy to see the Mako again. The first one got a little tedious after the fifth of sixth play through but it was soooo much better than the planet scanning game.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Cant wait for the inevitable controversy regarding the business model.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
The one thing I didn't like about ME1 was the lack of customization on the Mako, so I like what I'm hearing so far.

The M-35 Mako was a juggernaut and the M-44 Hammerhead was a high flying fragile speedster, so I assume the new Mako is going to start as a middle ground with speed, jump jets, and armor in between the first Mako and the Hammerhead and I hope it will be customizable to either extreme.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
"Years away" I can't imagine this game coming any later than spring 2016. And even that's a stretch. I'd guess holidays 2015. I mean, this has probably been in some sort of production for almost two years now, and probably a year of big scale development.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Edguy said:
"Years away" I can't imagine this game coming any later than spring 2016. And even that's a stretch. I'd guess holidays 2015. I mean, this has probably been in some sort of production for almost two years now, and probably a year of big scale development.
I'm not so sure - I'm sure EA would love to pump a Mass Effect out every year from Bioware until Bioware was just a dead husk they could discard - but the fact that the EA hype machine hasn't been out in force yet suggests they aren't going to be releasing it in the next year. If Bioware went with an engine change, which looks like it -might- be the case, that could explain a longer development cycle.

Anywho, I'm not really looking forward to the next Mass Effect - why? EA mainly; I'm sure they'll pressure Bioware to make a pig's ear of it. Plus, my faith in Bioware was abit shaken with the original trilogy; not just the ending of ME3 which was pants, but in hindsight, there seemed to be alot of short cuts taken - for example...
...when recruiting Garrus in ME2, there was an event where you had the choice to either kill a mechanic and make things easier for you later, or let him be.

My first run through, I choose to let him be, and when Garrus was hit by the gunship and torn all up, I felt like my moral high ground cost my friend too much... but then I replayed the game and second time around I found out killing the mechanic just meant the gunship had slightly less health :\ ...

Basically, I think Bioware's quality varied notably throughout the ME trilogy... And as [link url="http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004"]Shamus Young pointed out[/link], the main plot of ME2 was pretty pants, full of plot holes, and the main plot of ME3 had that bleed into it as well, primarily because it had Cerebus from ME2 involved, and several big choices in ME1/ME2 didn't actually affect anything in ME3 (in a meaning way). [link url="http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=15395"]And that ending...[/link]

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I am going to be *sorely* disappointed if we can't play as aliens in the next Mass Effect. I don't expect to be able to play as a Elcor or Hannar...but surely Turians, Salarians, Asari and Krogans wouldn't be too much to expect?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
"Disclaimer that the images could completely change for the finished game." and "The game is still years away from a release"

So basically, with no disrespect to you Andrea, but you're reporting on literally nothing. They had an entire panel where they showed off the concept art from Mass Effect 3, hoping we didn't notice the 3 had been scratched out and a 4 written in its place. Everything we saw was at absolute best premature if not out right deception.
This new Mass effect is turning into an even worse hack-job of a sequel than Borderlands 3. I wonder if they'll even change the box art from Mass Effect 3.

I got a good title for the new one though, Mass Effect 4: We're desperately out of ideas!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude is that unless they retcon and/or redo the ending of ME3 I could care less about ME4.

From what I've been hearing they are just recycling very old, and generic, footage for the most part. A lot of people have been pointing out a lot of their reveals are copy-pasted from ME3, and what might be new is just some rather generic graphics of contour-fitting body armor (one male, one female). So pretty much the entire announcement is "we will have driving sequences, and people will wear body armor".

Of course at the same time you can see where EA is coming from, they don't want to make promises and get flamed for them, so they are probably going to try and lock down most, if not all, information until right before release, and hope by that point the hype train will drown out the critics, something which has worked for them in the past.

Personally I am hoping "The Line" reforms and goes after EA closer to release, simply put with all this money they are dumping on a sequel they could afford to give ME3 a proper ending. Once ME4 comes out and cements the trash that is ME3's ending it's pretty much too late for the sequel.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I definitely want to see if they could actually make the planets seem more than a sequence of randomly generated hills and terrain. I loved ME1's Mako driving sequences for them making the galaxy seem really large, but they should be more captivating, like we saw in the DLC - Bring Down The Sky. It actually made the planet seem like an actual place people would be, given their interests. So, focus on the story and the "reason" for this place, "reason" for people being on this planet. I'm not keen on them basing the story around Shepard's time. I'd like to see another, completely different story, in the universe, but explore the other races and cultures. Still hyped for ME4, given that I've always loved the series. Shoot for the stars BioWare! Shoot for the stars.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I'm optimistic, but all I gotta say is, "Don't fuck up Bioware. You have one chance, and DA:I looks like terrible fanfiction, so it doesn't count. The Mako is a good start. Full squad customization is the next step. The last step is having a good theme and executing it well. I don't trust you, nor do I think you'll pull it off, but I really want you to. I want nothing more than for you to prove me wrong. So please... don't fuck up."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Varis said:
I definitely want to see if they could actually make the planets seem more than a sequence of randomly generated hills and terrain.
They weren't randomly generated, they were all built using an early version of UDK's (Unreal Development Kit) landscaping toolset (the newer versions are much better). They looked random because they were kept at a low poly count due to the limitations of the X360's hardware.

OT; If the game is set during or before the original trilogy, then I will definitely be passing on this. No point playing a game when you already know the outcome.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bioware... I swear to god... if you keep getting me excited for this game and you don't deliver...

DX

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
008Zulu said:
Varis said:
I definitely want to see if they could actually make the planets seem more than a sequence of randomly generated hills and terrain.

They weren't randomly generated, they were all built using an early version of UDK's (Unreal Development Kit) landscaping toolset (the newer versions are much better). They looked random because they were kept at a low poly count due to the limitations of the X360's hardware.

OT; If the game is set during or before the original trilogy, then I will definitely be passing on this. No point playing a game when you already know the outcome.
Yeah, of course the hardware's boundaries come in the way, but as I stated in my post, I'd like to see -if- they -could- make them seem more enticing. Now that we've (unfortunately) moved in to next gen consoles, I'd like to see them make the most of it (them).

EDIT: And, coming back to your point about them possibly making during or before Shepard... NO. BioWare, NO. Don't do it. Listen to me and 008Zulu!!! You'll just write yourselves into a corner and well... A story-driven game won't benefit from it at least!!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Oroboros said:
I am going to be *sorely* disappointed if we can't play as aliens in the next Mass Effect. I don't expect to be able to play as a Elcor or Hannar...but surely Turians, Salarians, Asari and Krogans wouldn't be too much to expect?
Ditto. Also, I guess I am one of the few that had literally no trouble using the Mako at all, in fact I loved it.