Escapist News Now: PS4 "A Game Console" Says Sony CEO

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
PS4 "A Game Console" Says Sony CEO

Sony's CEO Kaz Hirai recently spoke at the D11 conference in California where he gave remarks about the PlayStation 4, emphasizing that yes, this is a system for gamers.

Watch Video

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm I have seen the xbox one stuff yeah.. but I life in europe. We don't have netflix, we don't have many of those special cable set up thingies. Sure we have our cable television but ..

So I am happy to hear that Sony is trying to keep it ON THE GAMES.

With the ps3 they did what xbox is doing now..they spread to thin. To many things that are not connected to gaming! Have you seen how the xbox looks, how many steps you have to take to start your game or to go a certain section. How much advertisment there is... yeah with xbox one this will probably get worse. And will be in the way of quick access to.. actual gaming.

That and I am lucky I life in a relative nice house with a relative nice big living room. One problem coffee table.. there goes kinect 2 ...

So I await and I shall see what we shall begeth. I hope one much good news.. I hope on a console that is awesome. That plays games, movies and some entertainment at the side maybe but remembers that it is all in the games.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, this is the first example of Sony simply winning by not pissing their own pants. When your competition is throwing nothing but gutterballs, all you have to do is keep it in the lanes. It doesn't really matter how many pins they hit.

This is a bowling metaphor for those that don't know.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I use my PS3 for gaming first and foremost, and maybe .02% for watching Blurays, so this is good news for me. Oh and the occasional PSN download game, if it's not too big to handle my frequently interrupted connection. Living in Indonesia, (and soon to be Australia), all those TV watching 'features' didn't mean much. I guess we can wait for Microsoft's retort in E3 now, and see how the 'gamers' respond to that. Honestly, Microsoft know what they're doing, appealing to a wider audience can't be hurting their sales, it's just not vocal gaming audience is all.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Well done, Sony. Unless something utterly biblically bad happens, I will likely be buying the PS4.

Mostly because you had the balls to actually stand up and call out Microsoft on thier new "Console". You have obtained ENORMOUS amounts of respect from me.

Just promise to release Ni No Kuni on the PS4 marketplace (because I have no PS3 currently) and we'll be bestest buds forever. If not, we're still cool.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
What?!?! I thought it was supposed to be able to cook bacon and eggs! I already have a ps2, I don't need this thing...

This may sound weird but I love my psp more than any game system ever, I always kinda considered it as a cheap tablet for gamers, I used it to play RPGs and RPG-tactics games, and it happened to let me play music and watch videos(as long as I used two third-party programs to convert my DVDs because I'm not freaking made of money), I take it on every plane ride/long car ride. It's the mashed potatoes and corn of gaming, since when do you make mashed potatoes the main course?

Not sure why microsoft decided to make the focus on the tv/sports/etc, maybe because I always used my 360 to watch netflix and youtube when I was pc gaming? Oops. This is my fault isn't it?

Kudos to Sony for at least hearing all the "core-gamer" whining and recognizing an easy way to appeal to us. At least pretend our opinion counts, that's all we ask.

Not that my opinion matters, I've never bought a console in it's launch year, except the ps2 because my friend said he'd share custody and that I could have the first turn, that turned out to be a good deal. But until a console has the weird freaky games that I want to play, and it comes down in price, why should I risk it? Sony has hit some AMAZING home runs in its console career, and it also has some embarrassing strikeouts, I honestly can't wait to see if they pull it off again.

(And speaking of bowling, wii bowling was the only motion control game I liked...)

Snooder

May 12, 2008
Hmm, I'm actually waiting for the inevitable Kevin Butler snark ad. Oh it will be delicious.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
It's nice that Sony appears to be retaining the focus on games, but it's sad that being explicitly "game-centric" is now a thing. It's a video game console, for crying out loud. That should go without saying.