Escapist News Now: Saints Row 4 Denied Rating in Australia

john heerens

Feb 10, 2010
6unn3r said:
This all comes from a country that has pretty much legalized prostitution....was the term "double standards" not something that got carried over on the prison ships?

Other fun laws include:
-Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.
-Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.
-Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.
-Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.

Maybe its all that sunshine they're getting? Making them go slightly nutty...
America has some fun laws too:
You have to be 18 to star in an adult film, yet 21 to watch one. You are allowed to die for your country at an age where you do not get to vote. In one state five or more native Americans traveling together may be considered a war-party and may be fired upon. I'm not sure which state had a rule that setting of a nuclear bomb within city limits is punishable with a 500 dollar fine.

Most of these laws are antiquated and not enforced by polite society, they're apparently a pain to remove from litigation so bureaucracy maintains them.

Also fun, Nasa has a protocol in it's manual for what to do in case of viking invasion.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
As an Australian who played and enjoyed Saints Row 2 and 3, I'm not to disappointed. This game really doesn't look that appealing to me- looks almost identical to Saints Row the Third, except the graphics are a bit darker and murkier.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
john heerens said:
6unn3r said:
This all comes from a country that has pretty much legalized prostitution....was the term "double standards" not something that got carried over on the prison ships?

Other fun laws include:

America has some fun laws too:
You have to be 18 to star in an adult film, yet 21 to watch one. You are allowed to die for your country at an age where you do not get to vote. In one state five or more native Americans traveling together may be considered a war-party and may be fired upon. I'm not sure which state had a rule that setting of a nuclear bomb within city limits is punishable with a 500 dollar fine.

Most of these laws are antiquated and not enforced by polite society, they're apparently a pain to remove from litigation so bureaucracy maintains them.

Also fun, Nasa has a protocol in it's manual for what to do in case of viking invasion.
I think you mean drinking alcohol instead of voting, voting and military service are both at 18 to my knowledge. Also, if this was meant to be a jab at 6unn3r's country, then you made a direct miss my friend (unless you know more about him than I found on his profile).

OT: I can't help but feel disappointed about this. Regardless of game quality, this means validating the 18+ rating has had no effect and the censors can still decide what Australian gamers can buy locally. Adult gamers will still be able to play whatever they want, but it still sucks to be forced into either huge import prices or piracy. Any chance action like this can become not allowed before a good game comes out with some less than child-friendly subject matter?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
The rating system has improved, but the people making the decisions are still the same bigots as before, seems like.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Well, sucks. But then Australians gamers will thn do what they have always done ... import the game from the UK. Anybody with even a modest collection of games know they can simply import a game from the UK, or Hong Kong, and it will likely cost less even with individual game shipping than paying full Australian retail for the same game.

All this denied rating bullshit does is hurt Australian retailers who might have been able to compete, atleast, on the ease of returns side of things.

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
Silva said:
Apart from your borderline prejudiced and ignorant language here (really, our country existed before "prison ships" - there were indigenous people here for up to 40,000 years before any Europeans arrived, not to mention the many people who brought and worked with the convicts), I must take issue with the idea that this is somehow related to the double standard at work here. Where is the connection between prostitution being legal and the game being banned for giving incentives to drug use?

On an unrelated note, prostitution being legalised is an excellent idea for societal stability. It creates a good source of tax income for governments, reduces potential rape and the dangers involved in actually using the service of a prostitute due to regulation - and there are people, for example, with mental disabilities, that deserve their chance to enjoy a sex life if they can afford it, or at least the experience. Legalisation also brings down the connection between other crime and prostitution, removing it almost completely from the underworld social circles of the countries where this is done.
I think there's nothing wrong with prostitution being legalized, but if the government is going to nanny you about video games and then when it comes to prostitution say that adults can make their own decisions, it seems a bit inconsistent.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
6unn3r said:

Other fun laws include:

Yarp. Well, specifically on the horse thing it dates back to the fact that public hotels ('pubs') had to house travelling intercolonial drovers or people looking for work. Pubs were (and still are) affordable accomodation, and given that pubs regularly served station masters also on the move, as well as other proprietors of local business for meals and drinks, it was a good place to conduct business, make some quick friends, and ease one's travels.

So semi-decent lodgings for live transportation methods were required. It was a big country with very few people in it. Not like the rest of the world, where travelling inbetween towns and cities even on horseback was not so much a chore. Australian climate is also much harsher than the average climes of Europe, or the colonies of the Americas (On average, that is ... Canada and Peru are examples that first leap out at me as places wholly hostile to human life within a natural context). Very little fresh water or good grazing land.

Last thing you wanted was one of perhaps only two horses you have taken on the trip from Melbourne to Brisbane dying of thirst because the lonely inn and innkeeper on the side of a dusty road wouldn't provide a bucket of water and some high energy bran for your horse.

To give you an idea of such a journey, it is 1638 kilometers (Further than Paris to Warsaw), and that's assuming you are using the same optimized path as current 21st century ground transportation. Over a countryside that, in the 19th century, had a far reduced population, ranging from rocky to arid conditions, lacking accurate topographical maps, and in many situations droving 1000s of heads of cattle.

So it made good sense that an innkeeper was required to help take good care of both a traveler and his mount(s). It was critical for business.

-------

On the taxis thing, that's bollocks. As too is getting an electrician to change a lightbulb. And minors above the age of 16 are allowed to smoke, just not purchase cigarettes.

Upon reading your profile however, I will remind you that a greater number (per capita) of your countrymen choose to live in Australia, than Australians choosing to live in Great Britain. One of the stated reasons is specifically because of our sunshine and our white beaches. It's totally worth the skin cancer!

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
MinionJoe said:
For having the coolest president in the world, Australia still has some awfully bogus laws on the books.
??? Coolest president???

A), we are a parliamentary democracy not a presidential democracy and B) We are also a constitutional monarchy.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
God Dammit,

I love my country, Australian pride all the way but we shouldn't have to tolerate bs like this.
I just don't understand it, we just got the R18+ rating but people are too afraid to use it?

Also, am I one of the few that actually wanted to play it? because it was so far past a reasonable scenario?

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Upon reading your profile however, I will remind you that a greater number (per capita) of your countrymen choose to live in Australia, than Australians choosing to live in Great Britain. One of the stated reasons is specifically because of our sunshine and our white beaches. It's totally worth the skin cancer!
Well i'll be the first to admit "my country" has gone to the dogs, i blame the government and all the silly laws they do and or dont pass....To be honest i really dont care anymore, i just live my life, make my money and get along just fine without the need to listen to Mr...urrgghh Thatcher is it still?

If you want to ban games because of violence then why not do the same with all other mediums? Books contain far more violence than any video game...(the bibles a good starting point) same for tv and film. People will always find a way around a ban, just like school kids did with Lady Chatterly's Lover and Catcher in the Rye and Catch 22 and so on and so on...

Buy me a plane ticket and i'll gladly spend the British winter down under.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Silva said:
As for the nutty comment, I might ask who's talking. Making assumptions is definitely insane. There's a light bulb you yourself might change.
I think you had a sense of humor failure. Jokes can be in any taste the joker makes them, you dont find it funny? So what? I dont find fart jokes funny but i dont start slinging accusations about regarding the jokers intelligence. It's age old banter, lighten up.

After all im just a "pommy bastard". What do i know?

kingpocky said:
I think there's nothing wrong with prostitution being legalized, but if the government is going to nanny you about video games and then when it comes to prostitution say that adults can make their own decisions, it seems a bit inconsistent.
This was the point i was making.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
6unn3r said:
I think you had a sense of humor failure. Jokes can be in any taste the joker makes them, you dont find it funny? So what? I dont find fart jokes funny but i dont start slinging accusations about regarding the jokers intelligence. It's age old banter, lighten up.

After all im just a "pommy bastard". What do i know?
I'd find what you said funny, in other circumstances.

I never made that comment, and sure, you can call it age old banter. But let's say you made a similar comment about America in here. Would that be then labelled "flame bait", or responded to by about twenty times as many people defending it? Australia is constantly criticised in this forum just because of our R18+ rating debacle and I'm sick of the double standards which people practice about it. It's still flame bait if it's about my country, same as any other - or else it's never flame bait. Consistency is something that I demand.

Before anyone says it, I am not a nationalist either, far be it from me to defend a country from jokes if everyone is made fun of equally. I just think it's hypocritical for people to be careful about joking about one nation but not another. Whether you'd do that is beside the point, in fact at this point it sounds like you'd make fun of America too. Just to be clear, I was taking a position on principle, not due to some personal problem with you.

There's also the risk that people will take seriously whatever generalisation is said in jest here. That is how ignorance develops. I'd rather nip that in the bud. Sure, lighten up - but it's easier when it's not you who's under scrutiny.

kingpocky said:
This was the point i was making.
Then we agree on this point, but I think that it deserved clarification.

Lucias OKeefe

Jan 10, 2013
I think it's a rather large mistake that could theoretically shut down the games industry here in Aus and cause a lot more developers to stop exporting here. We already have to wait months for some releases anyway, what if developers expected to be banned anyway?

In the end nothing has been stopped in Australia. I was going to go and buy this game on release day because I was pretty excited by it, but if I'd pre-ordered it on Steam I would be stuck with the low violence rubbish that made Left 4 Dead have literally no atmosphere over here.

I won't be personally, but I'm sure a lot of people will be pirating SR4 in Australia, and getting the dozens of DLCs and pre-order stuff for free with no fuss.

I'll probably play it one day. But not on release, and I won't be paying retail for a bloody censored game.