Escapist News Now: Saints Row IV DLC

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If not for the aliens, I'd swear this was Saints Row 3.

Sorry, this is some of the first gameplay I've actually seen.

Generic DLC rage, rawr rawr...At least the costumes and stuff aren't things removed from a previous version of the game for "clipping" issues this time.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

Generic DLC rage, rawr rawr...At least the costumes and stuff aren't things removed from a previous version of the game for "clipping" issues this time.
no, instead, the entire GAME is just dlc that was removed from a previous game. Seriously, this was just supposed to be SR3 dlc. I love the series, but I refuse to continue supporting it after seeing how they handled dlc in SR3. I'm sure it was just THQ milking its cash cow, hoping to stay alive, but it still showed a complete disrespect for the gamers.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

no, instead, the entire GAME is just dlc that was removed from a previous game. Seriously, this was just supposed to be SR3 dlc. I love the series, but I refuse to continue supporting it after seeing how they handled dlc in SR3. I'm sure it was just THQ milking its cash cow, hoping to stay alive, but it still showed a complete disrespect for the gamers.
Then you're missing a great game.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
mjharper said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

yeah, very likely, I am. Love the series. But that's the problem with our industry right now, people don't like certain business practices but won't stand up and deny themselves a game they might enjoy to make a statement. They would just have moved to he back, just happy to be on the bus in the first place.

I'll be missing out on Battlefront 3 because of EA's involvement, and it kills me. But we need yo show a little self respect and restraint if we want to affect positive change and move away from a world where we are "renting" chopped games to buy piecemeal until the company decides we don't own their game anymore.

or you can just go ahead and play the game and smile and nod while the kingdom collapses around you.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
And before anybody calls me an alarmist, saying its not that serious, whatever the arguments... Pay attention. It absolutely is that serious. We're in a very worrying period in our culture right now, the ramifications of which could echo for decades to come. If we roll over now, we're opening the door to further and further abuse and disrespect. The problem is small(ish) right now, and we can still fix it. If we wait another decade where these practices are considered standard, it will be too late.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
The mighty Tricky Dick is conspicuous by his absence.
How could he be a Saint? I believe he himself said "I am not a crook." BAM--disqualified!

Meanwhile, old Wooden-Teeth is *****-lappin' hoes into space. If you are a ho, you best pray you aren't named "Delaware". Because Washington WILL cross you!

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

I can tell you from playing the whole game, it is more than DLC removed from 3. Are there some ideas from that DLC from Saints Row the 3rd (name escapes me at the moment) yes put the game still more than stands up on its own. It is a complete game and not just DLC. If you would never have heard of the DLC for the 3rd you would never be able to tell a difference. You could always rent it or borrow it from a friend to see what I mean.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

I can tell you from playing the whole game, it is more than DLC removed from 3. Are there some ideas from that DLC from Saints Row the 3rd (name escapes me at the moment) yes put the game still more than stands up on its own. It is a complete game and not just DLC. If you would never have heard of the DLC for the 3rd you would never be able to tell a difference. You could always rent it or borrow it from a friend to see what I mean.
The game is cut dlc, hey then added that "extra" that you're talking about which is just the side missions that were already in SR3. But the whole superpowers alien story was just dlc. They just padded it out. Again, I'm sure id love he game, have a lot of fun (even though SR3 was criminally short), and walk away a happy person with 60 less dollars. However, I don't support the lazy business practice surrounding the issues at hand. Its with noting that I also am at issue with the all the micro dlc bullshit

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

The game is cut dlc, hey then added that "extra" that you're talking about which is just the side missions that were already in SR3. But the whole superpowers alien story was just dlc. They just padded it out. Again, I'm sure id love he game, have a lot of fun (even though SR3 was criminally short), and walk away a happy person with 60 less dollars. However, I don't support the lazy business practice surrounding the issues at hand. Its with noting that I also am at issue with the all the micro dlc bullshit
No, no, no, no ,no. Why has nobody corrected you on this yet?
Saints Row 4 was being made alongside Saints Row 3, aka before Enter the Dominatrix was coming out.
The creators liked the story and gameplay of Enter the Dominatrix to they revised the DLC and made it into a very solid, very good full game.
Seriously, it's not a cut DLC. It's 24 hours long in the least, that's not the amount of time it takes to complete a DLC.
It's worth the money.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
D-Class 198482 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

Saints Row 4 was being made alongside Saints Row 3, aka before Enter the Dominatrix was coming out.
The creators liked the story and gameplay of Enter the Dominatrix to they revised the DLC and made it into a very solid, very good full game.
Seriously, it's not a cut DLC. It's 24 hours long in the least, that's not the amount of time it takes to complete a DLC.
It's worth the money.
all you've done here is put pretty spin on an ugly truth. Enter the Dominatrix was planned dlc for SR3, they were already developing the fourh one wih no story or purpose, aka a cash-in. When THQ was dying to death, they decided hey didn't have the resources or time available to finish developing he fourth in its own right, so took what was already made as a dlc and padded it out wih the same or variations on the same minigames found in Sr3. Tell me, why does he fact that they liked the story mean it should be cannibalized for a separate sequel? Would they somehow have not liked it had it been released as the dlc it was planned as? What purpose, if not for the cashing in, does it serve to not just serve that up as dlc as planned and create a separate story for SR4?

EDIT: you know what, after I saw that 24 hours of content comment I had an epiphany. Essentially, what they've done would be like Rockstar having sold The Lost and Damned or The Ballad of Gay Tony as GTA 5 instead of dlc. And imagine that, GTA 5 not being the epicness we are about to receive.

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

I can tell you from playing the whole game, it is more than DLC removed from 3. Are there some ideas from that DLC from Saints Row the 3rd (name escapes me at the moment) yes put the game still more than stands up on its own. It is a
complete game and not just DLC. If you would never have heard of the DLC for the 3rd you would never be able to tell a difference. You could always rent it or borrow it from a friend to see what I mean.
I guess we will have to politely disagree. I still think you should give it a shot. At least watch a Lets Play of it (i assume there must be some up).

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

I can tell you from playing the whole game, it is more than DLC removed from 3. Are there some ideas from that DLC from Saints Row the 3rd (name escapes me at the moment) yes put the game still more than stands up on its own. It is a
complete game and not just DLC. If you would never have heard of the DLC for the 3rd you would never be able to tell a difference. You could always rent it or borrow it from a friend to see what I mean.
I guess we will have to politely disagree. I still think you should give it a shot. At least watch a Lets Play of it (i assume there must be some up).
I'll do what I always do when I put a company on probation. I'll buy it used and return it before the gamestop week is up. Then I'll consider the statement my purchase would make to company in question and decide whether its something I would want to say, then if I I need it in my life. If so, I go buy it new.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
Now, in fairness, you weren't President in the DLC. >.>

mjharper said:
Great DLC, you mean. :p

D-Class 198482 said:
In part because your stance is revisionist.

It's 24 hours long in the least, that's not the amount of time it takes to complete a DLC.
[/quote]

I have trouble believing this game is more than twice as long as its predecessor. And news around the web says the main story is about as long as the last game. The only way I could get 24 hours out of SRTT was by avoiding everything for 14 hours.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Now, in fairness, you weren't President in the DLC. >.>

mjharper said:
Great DLC, you mean. :p

D-Class 198482 said:
In part because your stance is revisionist.

It's 24 hours long in the least, that's not the amount of time it takes to complete a DLC.
I have trouble believing this game is more than twice as long as its predecessor. And news around the web says the main story is about as long as the last game. The only way I could get 24 hours out of SRTT was by avoiding everything for 14 hours.[/quote]

exactly. SR2 was a long game. I think when I checked my timer at 100% completion in SR3, I had clocked 16 hours. Like I said above, what they've done is akin to Rockstar Selling us TLAD or TBoGT as GTA 5.

The Knightly Gamer

Jan 5, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

I'll do what I always do when I put a company on probation. I'll buy it used and return it before the gamestop week is up. Then I'll consider the statement my purchase would make to company in question and decide whether its something I would want to say, then if I I need it in my life. If so, I go buy it new.
Well I commend you for sticking with your conviction.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
The Knightly Gamer said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
D
Zachary Amaranth said:

Well I commend you for sticking with your conviction.
trust me, it's not easy. But things worth doing never are. Its killing me that I'll be missing out on battlefront 3. Though I may actually move EA from the Zero Purchase List to the Used Only List specifically for that game.