Escapist News Now: South Park: The Stick of Truth E3 Preview

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
South Park: The Stick of Truth E3 Preview

At a preview event a few weeks ago Andrea Rene got the chance to check out a demo for South Park: The Stick of Truth, the RPG being developed by Obsidian Entertainment and formerly being published by the now defunct THQ.

Watch Video

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm actually kinda' excited. Maybe its me, but there hasn't been a good squad-based RPG in a while. Mass Effect maybe? But that's not turn-based and I kept forgetting to use my squads abilities and just shot everything to death. Maybe there was a J-RPG that I missed, but those went kinda' goofy...

Anyway, I hope this game is fun.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Silentpony said:
I'm actually kinda' excited. Maybe its me, but there hasn't been a good squad-based RPG in a while. Mass Effect maybe? But that's not turn-based and I kept forgetting to use my squads abilities and just shot everything to death. Maybe there was a J-RPG that I missed, but those went kinda' goofy...

I think the closest we've gotten to a squad-based RPG recently would be the Pokemon games, if you're playing in 2v2 battles. I think they added 3v3 battles as well.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
So excited this is still coming out! She did have a point though in that I hope it doesn't become one giant dick and fart joke. I really doubt it though with Matt and Trey writing the game themselves. Too much thought goes into their work to stoop to that.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Looking forward to it since it's south park and looks like some nice little brainless fun.

However i am kinda worried that the fart attack will just get stale after 2 minutes, and the rest of the game will not get played.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I reckon it'll be good fun.

Also from the sounds of it there's a section where you go on Lemmiwinks' adventure through Mr Slave

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
If it was anyone else writing it I'd be concerned by Matt and Trey are fantastic and I can't wait for this! It'll be nice just to goof around in a game for a change. Unless I hear something really negative on this I think think it'll be a day one purchase for me.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Im not really concerned about the immature humor the host was, I spend all my time playing games like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. I love the amazing games, but some good old school fart and sex jokes will be a welcome change of pace for me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The said:
Silentpony said:

I think the closest we've gotten to a squad-based RPG recently would be the Pokemon games, if you're playing in 2v2 battles. I think they added 3v3 battles as well.
I guess? I stopped playing after Silver/Gold. Not that I didn't like it, but I really didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything. I mean if you could import your characters from game-to-game and not have to start the pokemon catching over again every time, then I might play it.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I think it is a good sign that she could barely hold back laughing when naming some of the attacks. It either speaks to the quality of the jokes or on just how ridiculous the game is.

Either way I am set to grab my stick and pound some people in the face with it. Digital people of course. Last time I did that the cops weren't to pleased.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yosharian said:
Escapist News Now said:
South Park: The Stick of Truth E3 Preview

At a preview event a few weeks ago Andrea Rene got the chance to check out a demo for South Park: The Stick of Truth, the RPG being developed by Obsidian Entertainment and formerly being published by the now defunct THQ.

Watch Video
She's worried that there might be too many dick and fart jokes? I think they sent the wrong person to preview this game...
I agree. What was she expecting? Its like reviewing the new COD game and being shocked at the number of firefights and action scenes.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think Southpark has been that heavily invested in fart jokes. Sure there's Mr.Hankey, Lemmiwinks and a few others, who are located in the general area, however Southpark has almost always put some more-or-less creative spin on the concept.
Family guy on the other hand...

If they turn the game into one long-running fart joke, it will be a massive disappointment, however I'm sure the guys know what they are doing. Come on, it's the same damn guys who made Team America for crying out loud, it simply can't suck.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
The South Park game getting finally on the run towards release? Sweet!

And it isn't X Box esclusive, like the first few whispers thought it out to be? Hellyes! Even sweeter! :D