Escapist News Now: Steam Box Officially Steam Machines

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Steam Machine" sounds as dumb as "Steam Box," but I don't think it matters too much.

I'd like to see more details about this. If they can make a user-friendly PC that can run titles for the couch/living room types, sweet.

Though my PC is in my living room anyway, so whatever.

I'm rambling now.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eh, it's a nice bit of rhyme in the name.
Better than "Steam Box".

And a console with varied hardware profiles? Jeez, the end times for consoles must be closer than I thought.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Wow, they came up with a name even stupider and more generic sounding than Steam Box.

Sorry Microsoft, even at choosing bad names Valve's got ya beat.

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
Stryker said:
I hope that the parts, that make their Steam-OS-Linux run smoothly to be a viable solution, also find their way to regular Linux distros.
I want to have the ability to choose a different Linux if I want to, but still be able to use Steam.
Even better if their dedicated SteamOS-Hardware is also able to boot a different OS if I want to.

If they pull that off, I see a bright future ahead for Linux-Gaming.
Microsoft must be very afraid right now.
DirectX is the last roadblock that keeps PC-Gamers tied to Windows-OSs and even that is in decline right now with no new version in sight.
They've already committed to making SteamOS free(as in speech), promising to make the source code available to download, so it shouldn't take long for any improvements to make their way into other distros.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Steam Machine? I wonder if they thought about that name.. It's too many syllables to casually say that in conversation. In the case of the Playstation, that was solved by abbreviating it as "PS". Now, what would Steam Machine be abbreviated as?