Escapist News Now: SteamOS Announced

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I'd need to know details on a steambox before saying whether I'd buy one. I wouldn't buy the Piston dealie which was announced some months back, but if anyone offers something which is basically a console in terms of price and couchability but has a pc library I'd be all over it.

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
My prediction:
Wednesday they announce the steambox. [0 ]
Friday they announce the new source engine and possibly hl3. 0+0

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Agreed on wednesday, but I don't expect them to announce HL3. If 1 circle is a SteamOS, then 2 added circles may be some sort of cloud feature. That's what i'm thinking.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
SteamOS seems intresting and if they do infact anounced the fabeled Steambox and it's everything I had hoped for (open sourced, PC library, couch friendly) then I would totally buy this over a PS4 or XBox One... nobody should be buying that)

as far as Team Fortress 3 and Portal 3... I could really care less about those, never been a fan of first person perspective

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I called this! Hah. Linux is way too unfriendly to new users so I figured they'd either alter the interface or modify linux heavily to make it easier to use.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
I'm interested in this game streaming whatsit. Could I Raspberry Pi my way into a game console in my living room that streams everything over my home network from my desktop? If so, I'm rather tempted to build a Steambox out of a Raspberry Pi like some kind of neckbeard god.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I called this! Hah. Linux is way too unfriendly to new users so I figured they'd either alter the interface or modify linux heavily to make it easier to use.
Reading this made me wonder, so I'll ask. Have you used Linux since 2011? New Ubuntu releases have the learning curve of Peggle.

On topic, I highly doubt I'd ever use Steam OS, unless that ability to stream Windows-only games ended up being more useful than WINE.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Ymbirtt said:
I'm interested in this game streaming whatsit. Could I Raspberry Pi my way into a game console in my living room that streams everything over my home network from my desktop? If so, I'm rather tempted to build a Steambox out of a Raspberry Pi like some kind of neckbeard god.
If Valve can make it run for a ARM processor then I can see it working, but well idk about most but mine has issues running the UI alone with python gui and I'm using raspbian without messing with the ini file to overclock it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
It won't be Half-Life 3, simply because they enjoy taunting everyone.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
CWestfall said:
Snotnarok said:
Reading this made me wonder, so I'll ask. Have you used Linux since 2011? New Ubuntu releases have the learning curve of Peggle.

On topic, I highly doubt I'd ever use Steam OS, unless that ability to stream Windows-only games ended up being more useful than WINE.
I can't recall the year I used linux, it wasn't hard for me but given I know most people can't figure out how to navigate windows 8, I'm not sure many are willing to attempt to learn that.
I'm not saying Linux is bad, just that it's fairly well known for requiring workarounds most won't want to put effort into.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I can't recall the year I used linux, it wasn't hard for me but given I know most people can't figure out how to navigate windows 8, I'm not sure many are willing to attempt to learn that.
I'm not saying Linux is bad, just that it's fairly well known for requiring workarounds most won't want to put effort into.
If I may say so, your first mistake is assuming that Windows is easier to navigate. :p

In my limited experience of technical support, I've seen a lot of people breeze through Ubuntu 12.04 (and above) who struggled with Windows. Software is a snap to install with the "App Store"-style Software Centre, the system can install updates while you do other things, and above all, it eliminates the problem endemic to Windows of manufacturer-pre-installed crapware (Admittedly a fresh Windows install doesn't have that either, but I've also seen unused crapware sitting on desktops 9 years after the system was purchased).

I won't dispute that the command line workarounds are going to be generally above beginners, but with things like Ubuntu and Mint they are very rarely "required" nowadays.

...All Ubuntu proselyting aside (It's a bad habit of mine), I don't expect being Linux-based will be detrimental to the SteamOS project. Almost everything in the modern North American living room is running the Linux kernel somewhere under the hood.

Andrew Majik

Jul 31, 2013
Price and features would be the biggest factors in a Steam Box. I like the idea, but want to know what it will offer that my current system can't do, other then output to my TV... which my computer can already do.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Good thing I just ordered an Asus G75 series gaming laptop for a thousand dollars last Thursday... but i'll probably get a 'Piston' (or whatever the steam box ends up getting called) at about the same time I get an xbox one... probably sometime in 2014 once the damn thing has some games and proper support.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
I abandoned Linux several years ago, simply because nothing was compatible.
It's a good step but i'll wait to see how this will be received and the updates it'll have.

But it's a good news.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Snotnarok said:
Linux doesn't have a user interface, it's a kernel. :p So in that regard any Linux distribution is heavily modified.

In practice Linux based OS's are very suitable for customizing and for specialized tasks like media centers. Which would make it perfect for gaming machines. I have always imagined that a Linux based steam box would look something like the current steam in big screen mode. Turn it on, wait 10 seconds, show a menu of available games.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Without exclusive games the steambox is by far the worst console alternative.
So far there's nothing that would draw me to it above what the WiiU/PS4/Xbone offers.

Right now this console is even less meaningful than the Ouya (at least to me).

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well great looks like instead of freeing computer gaming from the tyranny of Microsoft we are just getting a new set of shackles called the Steam Box. I knew this was where we were headed a couple of years ago when Steam started getting companies make you register their single player games though the Steam program before you could play it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
CWestfall said:
Snotnarok said:
If I may say so, your first mistake is assuming that Windows is easier to navigate. :p

In my limited experience of technical support, I've seen a lot of people breeze through Ubuntu 12.04 (and above) who struggled with Windows. Software is a snap to install with the "App Store"-style Software Centre, the system can install updates while you do other things, and above all, it eliminates the problem endemic to Windows of manufacturer-pre-installed crapware (Admittedly a fresh Windows install doesn't have that either, but I've also seen unused crapware sitting on desktops 9 years after the system was purchased).

I won't dispute that the command line workarounds are going to be generally above beginners, but with things like Ubuntu and Mint they are very rarely "required" nowadays.

...All Ubuntu proselyting aside (It's a bad habit of mine), I don't expect being Linux-based will be detrimental to the SteamOS project. Almost everything in the modern North American living room is running the Linux kernel somewhere under the hood.
It is easier to navigate when it's the thing a majority of people have been using for a long time. And if they're not willing to learn win8 when it's super similar it's going to be rough to change to a different OS in general.
Why is this an discussion on linux and not steam OS? :p
I'm aware Linux is great for certain things, like servers and game servers and what not but my point is when people whine and moan about the next windows version looking slightly different I think if it was anything LIKE linux most wouldn't even try.

Bostur said:
Snotnarok said:
Linux doesn't have a user interface, it's a kernel. :p So in that regard any Linux distribution is heavily modified.

In practice Linux based OS's are very suitable for customizing and for specialized tasks like media centers. Which would make it perfect for gaming machines. I have always imagined that a Linux based steam box would look something like the current steam in big screen mode. Turn it on, wait 10 seconds, show a menu of available games.
You know what I meant, let's not be cheeky here.
Yes it's a very good OS for certain things I was not at all putting it down for that, if not for linux gaming servers would be awful, okay most servers would be awful.
But if most aren't willing to switch to a new windows because the interface looks funny, then they'd be far less likely to switch to version of Linux, which is probably a good thing they went with a new SteamOS gui of linux.

Seriously guys I'm not bashing linux, I'm saying most people are barely willing to try something outside of their comfort zone has nothing to do with linux being tricky or not. It could be the easiest OS in the world but if you have the start bar lets say on the right by default and you CAN change it, people will still probably avoid it for a years till things are pushed.