Escapist News Now: The Last of Us Movie is an Adaptation

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
The Last of Us Movie is an Adaptation

At the BAFTA Gaming Awards this week Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann confirmed that yes, the upcoming film based on the award-winning The Last of Us, will be an adaptation of events in the game.

Watch Video

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
This....is likely the worst possible news we could get about this film. I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but the movie is just gonna be an adaptation of it? I don't know if Sony and Naughty Dog have followed the previous trends of games strictly following movies and movies strictly following games, but it usually ends poorly for all parties involved. There are so many stories they could tell with this universe, but they decide to stick with the plot we already went through?

I would much rather see something involving Jill and Elias, the mysterious wasteland adventurers, than have to see the game's plot condensed into a two hour film when I already know everything that happens.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I'd... like to see the ironic casting of Ellen Page as Ellie. Have it come full circle XD.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
"The Last of Us" as a movie already exists, it's called watching "The Road" with scenes from "28 Days Later" mixed in.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
An adaptation, which begs the question: why would anyone who already played the game waste time with the movie?

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Huh? So what's the point? With the insane amount of graphical power, visual design, great writing, top notch acting and motion capture that the game already had, what's the point of turning it into a straight adaptation? What does it add to the original concept?

I can understand people wanting stuff like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed being made into films, because those games could benefit immensely from Hollywood-level visuals and the tighter story structure that film can provide. But this? I'm not interested, not one bit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
ExtraDebit said:
An adaptation, which begs the question: why would anyone who already played the game waste time with the movie?
Probably for the same reason we watch movies about books we've read and vice versa. It's fun to see a property you love handled in another medium.

The closer to source it is can create a problem. I found the first Spiderman movie a little dull as, almost point for point, Green Goblin got his in the same manner that he got it in the comic book.

Fireaxe said:
"The Last of Us" as a movie already exists, it's called watching "The Road" with scenes from "28 Days Later" mixed in.
That may be pretty accurate. Maybe this will be less bleak looking than the Road? In that, all vegetation was dead. Everything was grey. It ached to look at it. Last of Us presents a vibrant, if dangerous world.

Raioken18 said:
I'd... like to see the ironic casting of Ellen Page as Ellie. Have it come full circle XD.
Hillarious! Hey, she's still young looking enough to still play Kitty Pryde. I bet she can do this too!

Craig Rigby

Aug 7, 2012
with jamie foxx as ellis and the rock as joel, now renamed as brock because of test screenings

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Josh Brolin MUST play Joel! Come on, guys, this is too easy...

Other then that, I can see a lot of this going either way.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, this could be really good. It has the script, characters and universe poised for a great movie.

But history has taught me to pretend like I haven't heard this news until a positive review of the movie crops up.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Gorfias said:
ExtraDebit said:
Probably for the same reason we watch movies about books we've read and vice versa. It's fun to see a property you love handled in another medium.
Those are in no way the same thing. A book has no visuals period - anything you see is very much dependant on your imagination. But with The Last of Us we all have already seen the same characters, locations and scenes down to the last detail, completely removing any point this thing may have.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
I can almost guarantee that the
"Joel fucks over the whole world, all of it, because he now has Something To Live For"
ending will either be excised or watered down for the movie.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Auron225 said:
Gorfias said:
ExtraDebit said:
Those are in no way the same thing. A book has no visuals period - anything you see is very much dependant on your imagination. But with The Last of Us we all have already seen the same characters, locations and scenes down to the last detail, completely removing any point this thing may have.
Comic books have visuals, yet I loved The Avengers.

The visuals of a film are very different from games even with very good graphics.

Finally, pacing will be very different. It can take 1/2 a day to beat the game, dying a lot, etc. The movie will be a single narrative thread that lasts about 2 hours. It will be a different enough experience (though, people at youtube may have strung together clip scenes to make something of a movie already).