Escapist News Now: Thor Is Now A Girl!

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Thor Is Now A Girl!

Thor Is No Longer Worthy: He Becomes a She, TMNT Kinect XBLA Game, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New MegaEvolutions, Early Access Coming To Consoles?

Watch Video

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Hmm, what's the explanation behind the change?

Didn't the Ragnarok cycle got broken way back in the continuity?

Or are we experience a Nth Doctor situation?

Still, a very interesting development.

EDIT: Ok so it is a new individual, not any transformation or shape shift.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Just want to point out if DC came out and changed Wonder Woman to a man, the backlash would be felt by the grandchildren of the writers.
Now whatever you think of new and imboobed Thor, remember its a gimmick designed to sell comics for 'shock' value. Like when they made Superman fat or SpiderMan black.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Ugh. Just ugh.

On all topics in this video.

Making a character that has always been male female just to get more readers.

A Ninja Turtles game based on the soulless new movie... and Kinect.

And paid alphas now also on consoles.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
I don't read comics really, so as long as there's a logical reason behind the Thor switch then more power to them I guess. I'd be lying if I said my scepticism alarm wasn't going on and I didn't think it was a thinly veiled pandering to what passes for 'equality' for the average social justice blogger.

I do agree though that a change from Wonder Woman to Wonder Man would be followed by a ragefest worthy of its own new comic book series. As I said... 'equality'. I guess I'm just a big bitter cynic, meh. :p

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Herf derf derf. Imagine if the genders were reversed herf derf.

Or has that insightful argument already been made?

What truly confuses me about this is some of the terminology being used. Thor loses his powers, so a heretofore unknown Asgardian takes up Mjolnir and gains the power of Thor.
I'm okay with all of that. But surely Thor would just remain Thor. The hammer isn't his social security card, we're not talking a form of aetherial identity theft here.

I know it seems really nit picky but Thor's about the only Marvel hero who's name isn't just a secret identity. You can pick up the Shield and become Captain America, you can put on the web suit and be Spider-Man but that doesn't make you Steve Rogers and Peter Parker.

Anyway, it's an interesting development and it'll be fun to see how it plays out while it lasts.

A wild stab in the dark here that we're getting this plot line as a way to retcon Valkyrie back into the main comic lineup. We all know that eventually Dong-Thor's going to get his powers back.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
I'm sure this is some kind of sacrelige to someone. I mean, people still actually worship these gods.
And honestly sometimes I feel a bit gloomy when people say "Thor, thats the guy from the comics right?".
But whatever.
I live under the philosophy that people should be able to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Also, I kinda feel like things like these are forced. As if they do it just to prove, "Hey, we are gender equal too guy- I mean peoples!" to earn some easy respect.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
more early access is the last thing this industry needs... You already see it going wrong on steam too much, quality control is one of the last advantages consoles have. Add early access to them and that goes down the drain. Besides, isn't the whole point of early access to give indie developers a chance to generate some early funding without having to go to a publisher? how many bedroom programmers work on consoles? I'm getting the feeling that this would be for the benefit of neither the consumer nor small developers...

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Seraj33 said:
I'm sure this is some kind of sacrelige to someone. I mean, people still actually worship these gods.
And honestly sometimes I feel a bit gloomy when people say "Thor, thats the guy from the comics right?".
But whatever.
I live under the philosophy that people should be able to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Also, I kinda feel like things like these are forced. As if they do it just to prove, "Hey, we are gender equal too guy- I mean peoples!" to earn some easy respect.
Would it be more sacriligious than turning him into a comic book character in the first place?

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Floppertje said:
Seraj33 said:
But whatever.

Would it be more sacriligious than turning him into a comic book character in the first place?
Naaah, I don't think so. That particular comment was meant more as semi-joke, but also as a question sort of. Wondering if it actually WOULD offend someone up there in the north. But I doubt it, they are pretty chill people. HAH..

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Floppertje said:
(snip) quality control is one of the last advantages consoles have.
And anyone who've watched AVGN know what will happen without it.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Seraj33 said:
Naaah, I don't think so. That particular comment was meant more as semi-joke, but also as a question sort of. Wondering if it actually WOULD offend someone up there in the north. But I doubt it, they are pretty chill people. HAH..
Besides, Marvel covers their arses by not claiming the Asgardians are the Norse gods. They're an alien race who may just have inspired the Aesir and Vanir.
I don't think any Asatrú neo-pagan feels offended by the depictions.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Just want to point out if DC came out and changed Wonder Woman to a man, the backlash would be felt by the grandchildren of the writers.
Now whatever you think of new and imboobed Thor, remember its a gimmick designed to sell comics for 'shock' value. Like when they made Superman fat or SpiderMan black.
Wonderman, flamboyant gay amazon of a female only tribe (other then him). Once a mild mannered hair stylist is now a super charge hero ready to defend the world. Id buy that.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Wonderman is owned by Marvel....

As for Thor now being replace a female who is also named Thor I expect it to flop hard. Disturbingly I prefer my main 3 Avengers AKA Captain America, Iron-Man, & Thor to be white males.

What I rather see though is female Wolverine, Cyclops, Angel, & Beast. Though I think I mentioned Female Beast before. Hell it would at least be a funny way to mess with Last Century Fox.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Okay, I'm fine with Thor being a girl, but what happened to the old Thor? Could somebody well versed in comics explain to me how this came about?

FenrirWulf

Jun 21, 2014
RatGouf said:
What I rather see though is female Wolverine, Cyclops, Angel, & Beast. Though I think I mentioned Female Beast before. Hell it would at least be a funny way to mess with Last Century Fox.
Female Wolverine exists. X-23 Laura Kinney. And I'm fairly certain that there's an female Angel somewhere that I just can't remember the name.

sumanoskae said:
Okay, I'm fine with Thor being a girl, but what happened to the old Thor? Could somebody well versed in comics explain to me how this came about?
I think it's a completely new story that will be made.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Well, the new Captain Marvel is still selling well. I'm pretty sure the new Thor will sell well as long as the story is good. Looking foreword to adding it to my pull file.

Now if only DC didn't make Batgirl Beyond disappear, that had looked promising too.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
Because Wonder Woman is one of very few big name female heroes that DC has. Marvel has a zillion big male heroes, one becoming female isn't such a big deal.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
FenrirWulf said:
RatGouf said:
Female Wolverine exists. X-23 Laura Kinney. And I'm fairly certain that there's a female Angel somewhere that I just can't remember the name.
But X-23 is a female clone of the original male version of Wolverine. I mean an actual Female Wolverine Pre Weapon-X if they had intended to mess with retcons this much.