Escapist News Now: Thor Is Now A Girl!

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
I can think of a dozen Norse goddesses off the top of my head, many of which could be good comic book material. Going for the theatrical potential of replacing the male Thor with a female version (who should have her own name, even if she takes up Mjolnir) is just cheap publicity. It will be interesting to see how their sales do and how they will spin it if it tanks (probably the original Thor becoming "worthy" again). I haven't read the comics in years although I do watch their movies. As for anger over it, there have been too many retcons and wholesale changes in the comics universes over the years to waste anger over it. Although I can hear the screams of rage already... and none of this will stop me from watching Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1st :D

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Ehh have mixed opinions on this...

On one hand I am really happy to see more strong female super heros being put into comics, but on the flip side thor seems a little bit of an odd choice...

Oh well not really into marvel comics much anyway but still cool to see this!

now excuse me while I take cover from the inevitable thor fan strike that will probably whine about this...

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Diddy_Mao said:
Herf derf derf. Imagine if the genders were reversed herf derf.

Or has that insightful argument already been made?
Glad to know you could respond to that insightful argument with an insightful response.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Big 'meh' on the Thor thing for me, save for one observation: this was done to appeal to women? Really? I mean- Thor's one of the only big superheroes to have a real entrenched 'hunk' status going on (to the point that was a Big Bang joke, even.) So, you're going to appeal to my gender by taking away my eye candy? I'm not sure I follow this one...Like I said though, mostly just 'meh'.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
The female name closest in Swedish is Tora. Cute! Not so sure about the concept though.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
If you want a character to appeal to female readers WHY NOT MAKE A NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT BASED ON EXACTLY THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING THE MOST TESTOSTERONY GOD OF ALL TIME AND GIVING HIM BOOBS?

I swear. Ofttimes I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
If they do it properly good on em, but I can't see it being done without a Ret Con (due to the whole hammer being his and forged for him thing). Then it gets a bit iffy in my eyes as i can't help but be cynical and say "ret conning for shock value and "look at us we are inclusive"".

Add more female heros sure, more are needed (oddly comic books are probably one of the places with a closer to 50/50 gender split, even if the reasons for some of the female heros inclusion in comics isn't for the "right" reasons and more for their design including low cut tops, something that is changing slowly) but you don't need to rip up established stuff to do that :p

But hey, i'm a natural cynic when it comes to basically everything so maybe they will do this properly.

tzimize said:
If you want a character to appeal to female readers WHY NOT MAKE A NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT BASED ON EXACTLY THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING THE MOST TESTOSTERONY GOD OF ALL TIME AND GIVING HIM BOOBS?

I swear. Ofttimes I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander.
Thank you, glad I'm not the only one to think this, just maybe in a less shouty way :p

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
Seraj33 said:
Floppertje said:
Seraj33 said:
I'm sure this is some kind of sacrelige to someone. I mean, people still actually worship these gods.
And honestly sometimes I feel a bit gloomy when people say "Thor, thats the guy from the comics right?".
But whatever.
I live under the philosophy that people should be able to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Also, I kinda feel like things like these are forced. As if they do it just to prove, "Hey, we are gender equal too guy- I mean peoples!" to earn some easy respect.
Would it be more sacriligious than turning him into a comic book character in the first place?
Naaah, I don't think so. That particular comment was meant more as semi-joke, but also as a question sort of. Wondering if it actually WOULD offend someone up there in the north. But I doubt it, they are pretty chill people. HAH..
I've actually met someone who was legally allowed to marry couples as a priest of Thor. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be offended.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I'm actually willing toi give this a chance, but then again, I also liked the Superiour Spider-man story line. So I guess I'm not with the cool guys.

The mantel God-of-Thunder has been passed down before.
I believe even Storm of the X-men at one point wielded Mjolnir.

Curious to see how it goes and I'm going to see if this story-line has already started so I can catch up. Haven't read much Thor comics, yet.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Ranorak said:
I'm actually willing toi give this a chance, but then again, I also liked the Superiour Spider-man story line. So I guess I'm not with the cool guys.

The mantel God-of-Thunder has been passed down before.
I believe even Storm of the X-men at one point wielded Mjolnir.

Curious to see how it goes and I'm going to see if this story-line has already started so I can catch up. Haven't read much Thor comics, yet.
This is my issue though- they're going "Look, it's a female Thor, she's got the hammer and everything!"

Caps picked up the hammer, random people have picked up the hammer. Doesn't make them Thor. All she really has over them is a similar armour design in my mind.

£2 says it'll be revealed it's an alternate Universe/Timeline and Thor gets his shit back. Thor-ina/Tora will remain as a new asgardian hero.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Already said this on another thread on this subject, but they did the same thing with Hawkeye when he went and became Ronin and they still refer to Kate Bishop as Hawkeye when she pops into Clint's story (he even remarks that had she pushed more for remaining Hawkeye, she would have deserved it more than him by now).

However, this could also turn out like Ghost Rider and end up with her getting replaced by ANOTHER legacy character. All I know of that Ghost Rider was her Circle of Four appearance, and for the love of Odin don't let this Thor be like that where "Temporary Replacement - Only here till her arc is up" hangs in neon lights over their head due to their... abrasive personality (all four characters in that book were bastards, but Venom, Red Hulk, and X-23 had a lot of depth to them even in that crossover).

I also pointed out that Agent Venom has become THE Venom to me, Miles Morales THE Ultimate Spider-man, and so on, so there is a chance this will click. Still, like I also said previously, I have a feeling that the "What if Gwen Stacy got bitten by the spider" will be the more interesting genderswap twist coming from Marvel in the coming books (plus her costume is awesome as hell, going a different direction but retaining an iconic look, while this one doesn't diverge far enough for my tastes).

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
erbkaiser said:
Ugh. Just ugh.

On all topics in this video.

Making a character that has always been male female just to get more readers.

A Ninja Turtles game based on the soulless new movie... and Kinect.

And paid alphas now also on consoles.
<.< Um...That's not what happend.

The male Thor is still around, but now his hammer belongs to a woman who has become the new "Thor".

My guess is the name is also a title.

Anyway, would like to know more about this new Thor. Wonder what/who she was before becoming the new wielder of Mjolnir.

Based on her getup, I assume she was a valkyrie.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Next they'll make Loki have sex with a horse as a means of helping Asgard get out of paying one of its contractors.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
erbkaiser said:
Ugh. Just ugh.

The male Thor is still around, but now his hammer belongs to a woman who has become the new "Thor".

Anyway, would like to know more about this new Thor. Wonder what/who she was before becoming the new wielder of Mjolnir.

That's not what Marvel is saying. They clearly state this IS (supposed to be) Thor -- not She-Thor, not Thorina, etc.. They want us to accept this female character as Thor, not as a new character with Thor's powers.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
erbkaiser said:
Imp Emissary said:
erbkaiser said:
Ugh. Just ugh.

That's not what Marvel is saying. They clearly state this IS (supposed to be) Thor -- not She-Thor, not Thorina, etc.. They want us to accept this female character as Thor, not as a new character with Thor's powers.
I don't see where you're going with this. They said Mjolnir found Thor "unworthy", so it went to someone else, and now "the Thor" is a woman. Kind of like how if a woman put on the stars and stripes outfit and held the shield (and obviously did all the other stuff too), they can become "Captain America".

They didn't take Thor and make him a woman, he lost his "job" and now a woman has it.
Like I said, Thor may be more than a name(Ex: it could be a title, or a "Role" as well).

I'll grant you, I don't know of them ever mentioning that Thor is a name and a title/role/job, but based on how they're talking about it, that would be my guess.

That, or anyone who becomes the one to use Mjolnir gets a name change. :/
Either way, they didn't take Thor and make him a woman. He was "replaced" with one when he was found "unworthy".
<.< I wonder why he was found unworthy though...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
But Thor hasnt changed, he is now a guy with an battle axe. This female thor is a whole new character that has taken the name and hammer. The woman has replaced him until, i guess, he becomes worthy once more. Personally, i think they should have given her an original costume instead of a female version of Thors costume.

The male to female thing has been done before. In the Image comics their was a crossover story involving a goddess and she changed a a large group of male characters into females.

keroko

Nov 9, 2010
So if she is the "new, one and only Thor" what do we call the old one?

Please don't tell me they're going down the route of giving him a "real" name and pretending his name wasn't really Thor...

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
To be honest, and I said this before at Cheezburger, the only way I can see the new Thor working is if the new Thor was originally a Valkyrie. That's just my opinion, though...take that as you will.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Oh joy...

I remember in a ton of threads about getting more female characters, people would say something along the lines of "no one is taking your male protagonists away. If anything we'd just have more verity" Marvel apparently completely missed that.

Yeah, this is stupid. If they just made a Freyja comic, or Hel, or Sif, or ANY female nordic deity this would be fine. But this is more a stunt to make headlines than any attempt at creativity.

I say this as someone who doesn't mind Miles Morales.