Escapist News Now: Why Destiny Isn't Coming to the PC

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Game doesn't even look that good either, probably will be just like borderlands, except a serious theme instead of tongue-in-cheek. Now I won't be able to pick it up on the cheap on a steam sale even. Shame.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Small correction; Halo was originally going to be a Macintosh exclusive.

As for if I will buy Destiny? No. They have shown they dont want my money. When they get a pair of braincells to rub together and release it on PC I may consider it.
You sure about that, all the info I've ever seen suggests it was originally intended for both windows pcs and macs.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
OK, no money for you then. No interest in any next gen consoles thanks to the dickery they been up to and trying to be up to, so why bother looking at a game that chooses that and spurns me? Besides, even if one of the consoles manages to win my trust somehow, by then the game will be cheaper and if I have interest in it then, I'll get it or one of its many sequels.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Well, that's convenient, as I was not planning on buying it in the first place.

"I don't want you."
"Too bad, you can't have me!"
"..."

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I don't get the surprise at it being developed for 360 and PS3. Yeah, sticking to PS4/Xb1/PC would probably be easier, but I think their goal is to make a bunch of money. The most direct route to money will be the 360 and PS3 for at least another year or so because of their gigantic install bases. That also means that games will continue to be dragged down by the old consoles for that long. MS has already indicated that they intend to support the 360 for quite awhile.

It should be interesting to see just how fast the next gen consoles move. The differences this time are simply not a sea change in terms of graphics or gameplay, so it seems like a lot of people will pass on paying $500. At the same time, you'll continue seeing many AAA titles released on the old consoles, so why bother upgrading?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Oh, well. Now I can be sure I will not buy Destiny whether it will be good or bad. Thanks for saving my money, Bungie!

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
It's rather simple. They desperately need console sales and games like destiny to sell them, so even if they WERE working on it for PC, many companies have likely been paid to have that info under NDA until months after the consoles are released.

That being said, fuck them and their bullshit. Come out and say it, don't be little fucking pricks about it, trying to lead everyone around, espousing the console and bashing PC, only to come back pleading for our sales a year later.

Too bad I'll be playing start citizen by that point and give fuck all about some borderlands ripoff with their own theme.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I will be getting a Playstation 4 at some point in the future, so I'll get it either way. But until I hear official conformation from Bungie that they definitely won't be giving us a PC release of Destiny, I'll be waiting for it on PC. If they say they won't be giving is a PC release, only then will I get it on Playstation 4.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Well, I will be getting a Playstation 4 at some point in the future, so I'll get it either way. But until I hear official conformation from Bungie that they definitely won't be giving us a PC release of Destiny, I'll be waiting for it on PC. If they say they won't be giving is a PC release, only then will I get it on Playstation 4.
I suspect this is why they're saying this now. They don't want a bunch of multi-platform gamers who prefer to play on PCs to wait for a PC version, because that might drag their release numbers down.

I wasn't 100% sold on Destiny anyway, but now I know I won't be buying it.

I still remember the company that made the Marathon and Myth games ... even Oni. Bungie hasn't been that company since they sold out to the Evil Empire.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Its their loss of a sale then, I decided not to buy a console this generation because I have a PC that seems to meet the needs of the game required and I didn't buy nearly as many games during the 360/PS3 era that I have in the past so having multiple gaming platforms seems like a waste of money.

Thankfully, if I want a FPS on the PC I do have other options.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I don't want their game and they don't want my money. A perfect partnership.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Yuuki said:
Oh well at least we have Titanfall to look forward to..
Oh man I can't wait for that. Hope it plays as fast and fluid as they're making it look in the game play videos.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I don't really care either way, but if they wanted the biggest potential audience for the least amount of effort, passing over the PS3 would be much smarter than ignoring the PC.

An Xbone version is a given, since it's Halo. All the fans are playing on the 360, so a 360 version is probably a smart decision too. Porting from Xbone to PS4 (and PC) is trivial, since it's all x86 hardware, so that's a no-brainer. The PS3 is the hardest platform to port to and probably has fewest players interested in Halo, considering all the M$ exclusivity of the series in the past, so that shouldn't have priority.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well it's a shame that they're continuing to reject PC (I can't remember whether it was Bungie or Microsoft that stopped Halo being ported to PC). I was going to get it on the Xbox One anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FACT: Both next gen consoles run on the same architecture as PC.
FACT: The previous console generation was THE MOST MULTI-PLATFORM FRIENDLY GENERATION IN GAMING HISTORY.
Which included PC ports.

Got that? The NEW consoles will be even EASIER to port to PC than the old consoles because they're more like PCs than any console before them, and even during the previous console generation, ports to PC were commonplace.

CONCLUSION: Bungie's excuse is complete and utter bullshit. They're all but outright lying here.

The real reason: more than ever, consoles need exclusives to establish a strong install base before the console market deteriorates any further. People have been questioning just how necessary consoles are in the greater market now for a few years, and that crowd has only been growing as the previous console generation dragged on.

Forced exclusivity is nothing new, and whether it's of any merit is another topic (literally; one I covered in the last week).

That said...Bungie really should have just kept quiet, because knowing that, it's hard to interpret their statement as anything other than veiled contempt for PC gamers.