Escapist News Now: Xbox One Users Banned For Swearing

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Xbox One Users Banned For Swearing

Over the weekend some users took to Reddit to spout their frustration for temporary bans they received on Xbox Live. The bans are associated with Upload Studio and Skype, and are received when users upload videos or have chats using what is being deemed "inappropriate content."

Watch Video

MPZero

Sep 8, 2010
sooo not big brother.... just a mother?

intresting way to moderate content....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"It's their platform and their rules, I guess...."

Yeah, that sums it up. It's dumb, but it is what we agreed to follow.

Well, 'we' in the general sense.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
This is why i use the pc as my platform (amongst many other reasons) profanity is deeply ingrained in my age group's language, we use it like its not even swearing, its just everyday use at least amongst my peers. It's much like "darn" and "bugger" used to be considered profane back in the 50's.

Words and their useage change over time.

flerchin

Nov 17, 2013

Their rules are complete bullshit. When you pull off a kickass headshot and yell out, "Hot damn! That noob just got fucked up!" You should be able to upload that to your mostly private upload channel to share with your friends. This example is not abusive of anyone, nor does it reflect poorly on Microsoft or their community. They can take their kiddie corner and shove it. I'll take my five hundred dollars elsewhere.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Yeah, but that's a bit much. A ban for swearing is kind of insane. Maybe removing the functionality of online multiplayer communication or making it so the controller doesn't transmit to the microphone. There's got to be something in the software that enables that so it shouldn't be THAT much work to disable it for repeated violations.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Completely support this move by Microsoft (oh boy, did I never think I'd see myself say that). The integrated XBox Live ecosystem is neither an open, creative platform nor a forum for expressing outlying socio-political attitudes. It's a playground ? and a very public one at that. Decorum should absolutely be exercised when interacting with others there and if not, it should be enforced, for the safety and comfort of the greater mass of participants. To be clear, I wholeheartedly oppose censorship in forums where private or artistic expression is the order of the day; where there is an implicit presumption of the author's prerogative to exercise their own judgement on the use of extreme language. Access to these sorts of platforms can, and should be filtered in a way which XBox Live simply cannot. In recent years Microsoft has been has been far too hands off, and the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory has led to it becoming toxic and unsafe (figuratively).

flerchin

Nov 17, 2013
Your argument doesn't apply here. People are not being banned from playing deathmatch for cursing in deathmatch. They're being banned for cursing in their own video uploads of their own games. In fact, the part of your post that says, "I wholeheartedly oppose censorship..." is the only part that applies.

UnderGlass said:
Completely support this move by Microsoft (oh boy, did I never think I'd see myself say that). The integrated XBox Live ecosystem is neither an open, creative platform nor a forum for expressing outlying socio-political attitudes. It's a playground ? and a very public one at that. Decorum should absolutely be exercised when interacting with others there and if not, it should be enforced, for the safety and comfort of the greater mass of participants. To be clear, I wholeheartedly oppose censorship in forums where private or artistic expression is the order of the day; where there is an implicit presumption of the author's prerogative to exercise their own judgement on the use of extreme language. Access to these sorts of platforms can, and should be filtered in a way which XBox Live simply cannot. In recent years Microsoft has been has been far too hands off, and the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory has led to it becoming toxic and unsafe (figuratively).

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
flerchin said:

Their rules are complete bullshit. When you pull off a kickass headshot and yell out, "Hot damn! That noob just got fucked up!" You should be able to upload that to your mostly private upload channel to share with your friends. This example is not abusive of anyone, nor does it reflect poorly on Microsoft or their community. They can take their kiddie corner and shove it. I'll take my five hundred dollars elsewhere.
All they need to do is make it so you can check a box that says you upload adult content and then only allow others who accept adult content to interact with your videos, it really doesn't have to be this hard.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
flerchin said:
Your argument doesn't apply here. People are not being banned from playing deathmatch for cursing in deathmatch. They're being banned for cursing in their own video uploads of their own games. In fact, the part of your post that says, "I wholeheartedly oppose censorship..." is the only part that applies.
Sure it does, I know why they were temporarily banned and maintain that the move is justified. A bit harsh and clumsy given the lack of warning, sure, but as a clear statement of their attitude to profanity and/or abuse going forward I applaud it. The video uploads are associated with these people's Xbox Live account aren't they? And can be potentially shared in an uncontrolled way, via Microsoft's platform? I would argue that Microsoft's plan to unify all the services of the xbox in such a tight and integrated way entitles them to apply their terms and conditions across the board.

I'd also argue that, while swearing in your gameplay upload isn't inherently wrong, some of the people uploading them for others to watch are perhaps the ones who might need to learn some restraint for those multiplayer matches you mentioned. I have no moral objection to profanity myself but there are plenty of occasions and situations where I'd consider it bad form or vulgar to use it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Eh really I'd have no problem with this. I mean yeah I'll get into the moment and sometimes a swear will slip out, but I honestly try not to swear much when playing online.
Now for true Draconian moderators just look at the Miiverse moderation, my word I've never seen mods(or machines) so quick to swing their ban hammer. I also remember Sony's PS3 chats would censor the stupidest things ever. XD

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Microsoft, edging in on Nintendo's 10-and-under crowd (at the sake of the rest of their userbase) since 2013.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I don't agree with the rule, but I agree that they should be allowed to make the rule. They're making a product and should be able to include and enforce their standards. It's not oppressive to limit behavior in such a way, because consumers have the choice to buy their product. It's not any different than a restaurant having a dress code or a venue having a code of conduct. If you don't like it, don't take part in it. They've decided to create a certain environment and if you don't like it you have two options. Try to work with the xbox community and change the rule or don't buy an xbox.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
While this is probably bad for a lot of people, I imagine justice has finally been served to about 90% of my Xbox live mute list assuming those people got an xbox one. Sweet, delicious chocolate justice crusted with crushed butterfinger bits, drizzled caramel, and creamy marshmallow atop a delicate cookie crust...

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
Who needs pr0n when you have news like this? Excuse me while I ask my PS4 to pass the lube.

Automating online content quality-control is a fantastic idea --on paper. Right now, I think it is only going to lead to confusion and frustration. While I agree with UnderGlass wholeheartedly, I do not believe that the accuracy of the XBone can reliably parse common speech from abusive language deserving of attenuated privileges.
/rant.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I totally understand that it is their platform and their rules. If they want to do this then go ahead.

However banning people for swearing seems a little excessive. I never swear at people, even if I'm arguing with them. I do however swear all the time in regular conversation. That's the environment I grew up in. The conversations I have with my parents are littered with F-bombs.

This may also push people away from streaming on the Xbox One. Look at the top YouTube channels - people like Pewdiepie and The Yogscast swear all the time. If you crack down on them, they'll just move to PC or PS4 and you'll lose a shit load of free advertising for your console and games.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
In unrelated news, older cod fans rejoice at the sudden absence of prepubescent players.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Now the real question is how many people have so far been banned for 'Kinnect'ing" their junk?

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Colt47 said:
While this is probably bad for a lot of people, I imagine justice has finally been served to about 90% of my Xbox live mute list assuming those people got an xbox one. Sweet, delicious chocolate justice crusted with crushed butterfinger bits, drizzled caramel, and creamy marshmallow atop a delicate cookie crust...
I am perfectly willing to cross you many, many times if this is the kind of justice I get served to me.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
"The bans are associated with Upload Studio and Skype, and are received when users upload videos or have chats"

It's like everyone missed this part. This has nothing to do with games, parentally unsupervised 13 year olds or COD. It has everything to do with some really *weird* bans on what is essentially PG-13 content (if it's really just swearing).

Everyone remembers what Skype is, right? P2P, assumed-private-but-apparently-isn't communication? Why the everloving FUCK would they censor consenting video chat? What's the goddamn point if they can't actively blur out dicks/boobs/vaginas? And why in the fuck is Microsoft monitoring Skype calls?

The best part is, you KNOW some legitimate customers are going to get fucked by this. And they'll probably have very little recourse. And Microsoft gives no fucks.