Escapist News Wrap: Gamers Ask for GTA V PC and THQ Sued Over Tattoo

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Gamers Ask for GTA V PC and THQ Sued Over Tattoo

NASA downplays the "earth-shattering" discovery on Mars and a Japanese couple destroy the groom's virtual girlfriend at their wedding. Also this week, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are confirmed to reprise their roles in the next X-Men film and THQ is sued over their use of a tattoo in UFC.

Watch Video

yngi

May 6, 2010
hey was that a Dishonored t-shert and where can I get one.
+ how is the new girl, is she Tito's new co-hoste?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Like in most copyright related cases, the image of the tattoo alone has probably drawn in more revenue for THQ than the game actually earned.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Yeah it wasn't the strongest point of the GTA petition to bring up mods, a bit more flattery was needed I feel, also mentioning that it would make them lots of money may have been a good idea.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I hope Intel's plans blow up in their face.

Have yet to see an X-Men movie that doesn't piss me off.

Rockstar is horrible about PC releases. Still waiting for that Red Dead Redemption port.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
I don't quite get this "news wrap" thing. At certain points, the cadence of their voices sound like they are trying to deliver jokes, but nothing funny is coming out of their mouths. Is this supposed to be some sort of parody of a news show or something?

Also, why are the cameras seemingly positioned at nipple-height, looking up at the presenters?

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Chairman Miaow said:
That tattooist is a dick. If I don't get DoW3 because of him.....
It's insane. Instead of the artist's creative ego being bolstered and feeling complimented by his work depicted so clear for everyone to see... he uses it as a chance to make some big cash off a legit company.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Right... Well, the Tattoo 'Artist' is obviously a complete money grubbing opportunistic twat.

If he gets his money what happens to actors who have tattoo's appearing in films? Or Actors who sport tattoo's in films as part of their characters? Or a recreation of any tattoo in any media format? Are Tattoo magazines going to have to start paying royalties now? Thanks to the precedent this muppet is trying to start?

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Revolutionary said:
Yeah it wasn't the strongest point of the GTA petition to bring up mods, a bit more flattery was needed I feel, also mentioning that it would make them lots of money may have been a good idea.
Well, the mod argument would work if the money follows.
Skyrim, for instance, is still a best seller today on PC, whilst its sales are microscopic by comparison on consoles.

Now, granted the GTA4 port didn't make much money, but what do you expect when it's 8 months late and ran like crap.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Danceofmasks said:
Revolutionary said:
Well, the mod argument would work if the money follows.
Skyrim, for instance, is still a best seller today on PC, whilst its sales are microscopic by comparison on consoles.

Now, granted the GTA4 port didn't make much money, but what do you expect when it's 8 months late and ran like crap.
Fair point on both accounts. I guess they need to push out a decent PC port in a timely manner or not at all. But i'd still like to see even a late port.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
chiefohara said:
Right... Well, the Tattoo 'Artist' is obviously a complete money grubbing opportunistic twat.

If he gets his money what happens to actors who have tattoo's appearing in films? Or Actors who sport tattoo's in films as part of their characters? Or a recreation of any tattoo in any media format? Are Tattoo magazines going to have to start paying royalties now? Thanks to the precedent this muppet is trying to start?
For example, MMA broadcasts?

Because MMA licensed their game rights and fighter likenesses to THQ, then MMA couldn't actually make that transaction. They also couldn't sell the broadcast rights based on this idea.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
OK I don't see the logic that because of Hot Coffee Rockstar would not make a PC version. I don't see how hot coffee even enters in to the equations for GTA V.
Why even mention it in conjunction - or as a reason that GTA might not be coming to PC?

Personally I really want GTA V on PC for the graphics and for the replay/movie features. Those were what made GTA IV on PC stand out for me.
(Also GTA IV never ran like crap for me like for some of the above posters and my PC wasn't that beefy either. In fact quite the opposite. It ran smooth and looked better than the console iterations.)

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
We all know GTA V will the on PC. When GTA 4 was released on consoles, Rockstar also said nothing about the PC version. But as a PC gamer, I think we all have to accept that some games are not going to get ported, that's why we need at least one console so we can play most of the games.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Why didn't the tattooist sue the TV companies that broadcast the fighter w/ said tattoo? Did he try? Was he compensated for that? Did he make the fighter sign an agreement when recieving the tattoo that even though the tattoo would become a visible, inextricable part of the fighter's body, it's display would be subject to a continued rights-holding by the artist? The more I think about this, the more I think this tattooist is just a very talented ASS.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
That tattooist is a dick. If I don't get DoW3 because of him.....
LOL highly unlikely. DoW3 not coming out will almost certainly be because THQ can't run a business.

Denamic said:
Like in most copyright related cases, the image of the tattoo alone has probably drawn in more revenue for THQ than the game actually earned.
To be fair, in the case of THQ games, this is probably true. ;)

chiefohara said:
If he gets his money what happens to actors who have tattoo's appearing in films? Or Actors who sport tattoo's in films as part of their characters? Or a recreation of any tattoo in any media format?
jmarquiso said:
For example, MMA broadcasts?

Because MMA licensed their game rights and fighter likenesses to THQ, then MMA couldn't actually make that transaction. They also couldn't sell the broadcast rights based on this idea.
To both of you, reproduction of the tattoo is at issue. Broadcasting it on TV has never been an issue here. This isn't going to change anything because there's a difference between an image shown in a broadcast and one reproduced (for example, digitally in a game).

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
To both of you, reproduction of the tattoo is at issue. Broadcasting it on TV has never been an issue here. This isn't going to change anything because there's a difference between an image shown in a broadcast and one reproduced (for example, digitally in a game).
I used to work rights management on TV. This included digital reproduction for titles and such - which is not treated as separate. Though I understand the subtle difference here. I worry that if he succeeds it'd create a precedent for the need to fuzz out even tattoos from now on. This is why we already fuzz out T-shirts.

We had a location challenge us on the use of that location in titles. While they signed a location release, they believe it didn't extend to that title (the show was bought by a new network under a different name). Changing that would have increased our graphics budget immensely - not to mention all the re-editing and reshooting we'd have to do. We won.

Losing this suit would extend back to MMA's own image rights.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Intel using their market dominance on the CPU market to muscle in a market dominance in the mainboard market? Yeah, European anti-cartel laws are going to have something to say about that...