Escapist Notifications and You

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
As some of you might have noticed over the past couple of months, there is something going on with the Notifications on the Escapist's website.

Every weekend when Saturday turns into Sunday ( LA, California, US time. ), users' notifications are deleted and their profile settings indicating whether they should receive a notification when quoted are turned off.[footnote]A special note: Notifications manually deleted by the user can still be accessed in the Trash section.[/footnote]

You can click here to turn on 'Quote Notification' again under 'Notification Options'.[footnote]I have been thinking about adding a function which automatically turns the notification settings on again for users, but I'm a bit predisposed at the moment so that might take a while to do.[/footnote]

Provided things don't break down, from now on a new post will be added to this thread every Saturday night, to help people be aware of this. Although with Summertime kicking in a few weeks ago I'm not sure of the post timings anymore, the post should show up at 00:06AM Sundays, but it might be off by an hour, if this is the case I would appreciate a heads up![footnote]Also, if anyone here knows a better way to word this entire post, feel free to write it down and I'll copy it.[/footnote]

Credit for this post go to several vigilant people who noticed this anomaly a couple of months ago and also Vendor-Lazarus for determining the precise timing.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It's that time of the week again, people!

Mere moments ago a gremlin inside the Escapist's server deleted all of our notifications and turned off our notification settings! Oh noes!

You can click here to turn on 'Quote Notification' again under 'Notification Options'.

[small]This message was brought to you by... the poster of this post, Vendor-Lazarus by putting in the work to find the reset timer and any vigilant user on the Escapist![/small]

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Thank you for this. I have been away for a while, so am a bit confused on "WTH is going on?!" and "why is everything weird?" not only about lack of notifications, but also on where the view counter went.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Lil devils x said:
Thank you for this. I have been away for a while, so am a bit confused on "WTH is going on?!" and "why is everything weird?" not only about lack of notifications, but also on where the view counter went.

Yeah, the site is falling apart. View counter broke ages ago, group/quote notifications are gone, 'last active' dates on profiles are stuck in September 2017, there's no way of stopping the spambots, and apparently the admin controls are inconsistent and Yahtzee's even been locked out of posting videos at times.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Lil devils x said:

Yeah, the site is falling apart. View counter broke ages ago, group/quote notifications are gone, 'last active' dates on profiles are stuck in September 2017, there's no way of stopping the spambots, and apparently the admin controls are inconsistent and Yahtzee's even been locked out of posting videos at times.
When it's all posted together like that... it doesn't look very good, does it?
Still, the site works. Probably some dark magic or such.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
When it's all posted together like that... it doesn't look very good, does it?
Still, the site works. Probably some dark magic or such.
Somewhere in the servers a minor daemon of Tzeentch is flipping 1s and 0s around just to see what happens next and whether the humans can cope with it. He is probably infruriated every time they can, whilst Tzeentch sits there laughing at it's hubris.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
bluegate said:

Mere moments ago a gremlin inside the Escapist's server deleted all of our notifications and turned off our notification settings! Oh noes!

You can click here to turn on 'Quote Notification' again under 'Notification Options'.

[small]This message was brought to you by... the poster of this post, Vendor-Lazarus by putting in the work to find the reset timer and any vigilant user on the Escapist![/small]
thanks BG

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
bluegate said:

... No.
It's... fixed! I never thought this day would come.

Absolutely amazing! I wonder what miracle is next? Will the spam bots finally be banished once and for all?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
bluegate said:

... No.
It's... fixed! I never thought this day would come.

Absolutely amazing! I wonder what miracle is next? Will the spam bots finally be banished once and for all?
Indeed, it has been fixed, who would have thought that would ever happen?

Well, time to turn off the bots posting these messages then 😁

Cheers everybody!