Escapist Podcast: 004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Very nice, though it sort of felt a little flat to me for some reason. Maybe I'm just used to G4's Feedback, which is pretty much the same thing but with actual video of the discussion and more.. in your face personalities.

Either way, I must also say that I agree with it being silly to limit the audio only version to Pub Club members. It feels a little like bad DRM to me where the Pub Club members should rightfully be getting something more (like actual nicely edited video footage a la Feedback) but instead are just getting what everyone should get and the Freescapists are getting an inferior version.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
akfg666 said:
intheweeds said:
Alfador_VII said:
dnose said:
intheweeds said:
Maybe i'm just missing something, but could someone tell me how to download this so i can listen to it on my ipod like all my other podcasts? An hour is a long time to sit near my computer and listen. I can't make it through this one either, sorry. If i could download it i would have taken it with me to work today.

I skipped the last podcast for that reason, but i love listening to interesting podcasts! If it isn't a download, could it become one?
I have to second this. I listened to the first Podcast and found it to be very interesting but I don't have the time to sit by my computer listening for an hour. I would gladly listen if I could put it on my iPod and listen to it when I'm in the car like I do with every other Podcast I listen to.
As they say towards the end of this one, if you join the Publisher's Club you can download them in MP3 format. I haven't myself yet, but I may do soon.
That's unacceptable. I have no problem with the Publisher's Club for everything else it has, but i don't need it. I shouldn't need it for an audio podcast download.

The market has already spoken on what it believes the value of an audio podcast download is: $0.

No one pays for podcasts.

Completely agree with this. I'm not going to pay money to download a podcast and nor am I going to sit by my computer for an hour listening to something which....well I WANT to listen to but don't the capacity to sit by my computer for an hour.
Perhaps we should start some sort of campaign?
While I don't agree a podcast HAS to be free I do question the appeal of a podcast that isn't portable. I'm not sure this uncomfortable medium is a net benefit.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
Much of the LA Noir interrogation options they talk about, like the computer assuming certain parts of dialogue as "canon" even if you didn't do them are one of the highlights for me with Alpha Protocol. So much wrong with that game but when it works.... wow. The whole failure possibility is managed well in that the conversations will always drive the plot forward but perhaps you will have the information necessary to reveal a character's bio and affect the plot or save someone or not etc.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Maur DL said:
akfg666 said:
intheweeds said:
Alfador_VII said:
dnose said:
intheweeds said:
Maybe i'm just missing something, but could someone tell me how to download this so i can listen to it on my ipod like all my other podcasts? An hour is a long time to sit near my computer and listen. I can't make it through this one either, sorry. If i could download it i would have taken it with me to work today.

I skipped the last podcast for that reason, but i love listening to interesting podcasts! If it isn't a download, could it become one?
I have to second this. I listened to the first Podcast and found it to be very interesting but I don't have the time to sit by my computer listening for an hour. I would gladly listen if I could put it on my iPod and listen to it when I'm in the car like I do with every other Podcast I listen to.
As they say towards the end of this one, if you join the Publisher's Club you can download them in MP3 format. I haven't myself yet, but I may do soon.
That's unacceptable. I have no problem with the Publisher's Club for everything else it has, but i don't need it. I shouldn't need it for an audio podcast download.

The market has already spoken on what it believes the value of an audio podcast download is: $0.

Completely agree with this. I'm not going to pay money to download a podcast and nor am I going to sit by my computer for an hour listening to something which....well I WANT to listen to but don't the capacity to sit by my computer for an hour.
While I don't agree a podcast HAS to be free I do question the appeal of a podcast that isn't portable. I'm not sure this uncomfortable medium is a net benefit.
http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3 [http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3]
Yeah, I just know my way around the web like that... :/

(Feel free to mod edit that link away, I re-read the rules before I used 5 seconds to dig it out, and I can't find anything against it. At least not explicitly. The content is already there for free, and you'll spot ads on your way to the forums anyway. Also, you can make the content completely flash-based, which makes downloading the mp3 completely impossible. You know, if that's your thing.)

I either do homework or play botmatches (FPS)/skirmish games (RTS) while listening to podcasts. Basically, I'm more lazy than you out-and-about people. :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Loved the trip down memory lane, where just entering the world WAS your tutorial. Games like Mario and Zelda...ah, fond memories. Incidentally, I still read the game manuals. Largely due to the fact that I feel at home in front of the TV playing video games as much as I am in my local libraries.

Now, to whom do I PM or email a question to since I believe I have an interesting question to pose for the Podcast crew?
That would be [email protected]. :)

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Maur DL said:
akfg666 said:
intheweeds said:
Alfador_VII said:
dnose said:
intheweeds said:

I'm more concerned with the fact that when I click the podcast button, I get a wall of xml text. It might work better in not Google Chrome, I don't know.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Are you guys gonna have Yahtzee back on any time soon? I liked it when he and Mikey rambled on for a while about random shit.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Woo I was quoted in the cast! Anyhow to anyone who cares flying in "Giant" was like playing lunar lander you have to consider how much thrust you want to waste going up, correcting course, and how much you need to land at a reasonable velocity. All the while people will shoot at you.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Hey! How come you guys can mention and promote drugs on your podcast, yet we get penalised for mentioning it!

Anyways, good Podcast, cheers guys :D

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
I really love listening to you guys talk for an hour. All i can say is thank god these podcasts came out after i had finished my exams cos otherwise my education would've really suffered for it!

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
The Escapist Staff said:
004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

This week we discuss The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, plus: How much tutorial is too much - or too little?

Watch Video
Please listen from 38:39 to 38:52.
Do it more than once.

CHANGE THE MODERATION RULES!

I'm sick and tired of getting reprimanded by moderators for typing what I think

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
klasbo said:
Maur DL said:
akfg666 said:
intheweeds said:
Alfador_VII said:
dnose said:
intheweeds said:

http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3 [http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3]
Yeah, I just know my way around the web like that... :/

(Feel free to mod edit that link away, I re-read the rules before I used 5 seconds to dig it out, and I can't find anything against it. At least not explicitly. The content is already there for free, and you'll spot ads on your way to the forums anyway. Also, you can make the content completely flash-based, which makes downloading the mp3 completely impossible. You know, if that's your thing.)

I either do homework or play botmatches (FPS)/skirmish games (RTS) while listening to podcasts. Basically, I'm more lazy than you out-and-about people. :p
Thanks. I wonder how I can do this myself for future reference?

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
I will take the Witcher 2's no tutorial (all the info you need is there btw... it just only triggers as you first do something) over too much tutorial any day.

Only time i found the tutorial of the Witcher 2 a pain is not telling me i needed quen to survive the dragon. I died twenty times there lol

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
theshadowcult said:
I will take the Witcher 2's no tutorial (all the info you need is there btw... it just only triggers as you first do something) over too much tutorial any day.

Only time i found the tutorial of the Witcher 2 a pain is not telling me i needed quen to survive the dragon. I died twenty times there lol
Haha... really they should have just replaced all the pop-ups it doesn't give you time to read with one that said "WHEN IN DOUBT, SPAM QUEN" in capital letters :)

Gametek

May 20, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
theshadowcult said:

Haha... really they should have just replaced all the pop-ups it doesn't give you time to read with one that said "WHEN IN DOUBT, SPAM QUEN" in capital letters :)
Or press a "press J, it stop the game and pop up your quest log, standard RPG codex with monster/character/place notion information, and the only place where you can read the tutorial pop up with out being creamed by the enemy".

Would have really helped. Especially at the beginning.

PeacanPie

Jan 17, 2011
I would love these, if they didn't keep crashing after 2 or 3 minutes. D: I feel deprived!

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
MatsVS said:
The Witcher 2 learning:

Oh, that guy hit me with a sword and I died. Should probably avoid that in the future. *Learns dodging*

Oh, I couldn't dodge all those three guys and they killed me, I should probably find a way to withstand their attacks. *Learns blocking*

Oh, I couldn't block all those attacks so they killed me, I should probably learn to balance my blocking and my dodging. *Learns to manage the vigour stat.*

Voilà, you are now ready to finish the entire game with the perfect amount of difficulty.
Or surpass all these steps with:
"Oh, what's this Quen sign?", ta-dah!

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Could you guys do something about the volume? When people are talking, they sound all mumblily, and it is hard to hear what they are saying then all of a sudden there is a joke, and everyone laughs right after I have turned my speakers up to hear what is being said and I go deaf. I recognize this one you just moved and probably haven't gotten settled into the new office. But I noticed it with other podcast as well.

Outside of the sound problems, still enjoying the series. Gives me more incite into what you do as an editor.

ooooo also I have a question before I forget: Does reviewing games take a way from enjoyment of the games? From my own personal experience, I learned how to review movies and, as silly as it sounds, pro-wrestling matches from a technical stand point and that took away some enjoyment. And once I unlearned it, or learned how to turn it off and get back in the moment of the movie or match I found I was enjoying them again. So do you guys still enjoy playing games, or does it feel like a chore?