Escapist Podcast: 018: Saints Row 3, Old Republic & Horror

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Oooh, Susan, you need to play Amnesia. It gives me shivers just to remember the scares that game gave me. It has all that you guys are saying:

- isolation
- the unknown
- defenselessness
- atmosphere
- disturbing use of sound

plus a sincerely messed up storyline that you make out of the confusion and an engine that has givne the most immersion through its almost tactile respose to input.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Endocrom said:
No mention of Eternal Darkness? Okay maybe it got old, but hearing a person crying along with the sounds of knives being sharpened in another room could get to you.

As for the childhood sounds taken out of context being scary it could be that that simplistic nature in the hands of say, an adult capable of doing whatever they want might make them DO whatever they want without any thoughts of consequences or social implications.
Oh yes that was a great game even though it had pretty bad controls but the amount of ways they found to screw with the player without destroying the narrative or the immersion was great. I don't know about fright scares but it definitely gave an atmosphere of unknown and wonder what could it possibly throw at you next.

Another game that I loved and though definitely had its scare moments was The Suffering I just think that game had a good amount of scares. It does the hallucinations better then Fear in my opinion.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Failed lost my last post :( Oh well the shortened version cause I do not want to retype everything

Endocrom said:
No mention of Eternal Darkness? Okay maybe it got old, but hearing a person crying along with the sounds of knives being sharpened in another room could get to you.

As for the childhood sounds taken out of context being scary it could be that that simplistic nature in the hands of say, an adult capable of doing whatever they want might make them DO whatever they want without any thoughts of consequences or social implications.
I thought eternal darkness was brilliant in its use of both the game/sound/monsters to scare along with messing with the player directly giving it a real fear on many different levels.

Another one that is definitely high on my list of scary games to play would be The Suffering it just has those moments that are both scary and though provoking.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
So you mean if I want to get older and still love long, winding RPG's I should never have any social/romantic obligations?

XP

I kid, thanks for giving me some scary games to try :)

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
@Justin about the Fallout 3 end game. I pretty sure you can tell Fawkes to enter the radiation room and save it.It's actually pretty funny since he's pretty slow with inserting the code you give him.