Escapist Podcast: 030: 2012 Films, Megaupload & Cake

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
030: 2012 Films, Megaupload & Cake

This week, we discuss some of the films of 2012 we are looking forward too. We also talk about Megaupload being taken down and cake sculpture.

Watch Video

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
on terrible movies. Jurasic park 3 was a smoking pile of *@$#.

that movie was completely rediculous and broke all tension that made the first movie great in the first 5 minutes in broad daylight setting. And the worse part is that it's kind of hard to make such a terrible movie with the source material

dinosaurs.... that stuff writes itself

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
this pod-cast is quickly becoming my favourite feature on the escapist please keep it up, but keep the audio guy on standby there's been allot of echos and weirdness!

and frankly M-Up annoy me anyway so i don't care what happens to them.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'm curious as to how frequently Megaupload was used legitimately as opposed to pirated. Does anyone have the statistics on hand?

Anyway, thanks for another great Podcast. It's becoming quite a favorite of mine. Keep up the good work! ^_^

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I'm surprised that no said, "The cake is a lie!" It was right there... and the cakes were, literally, cardboard, PVC lies.

Thank you.

Also, if you don't know about Cake Wrecks [http://www.cakewrecks.com/], check it out for some awesomely bad cakes.

NoOneHome

Jan 21, 2012
Would you like a piece of the droids you are looking for? Or a slice of these adorable ewoks?
Maybe a chunk of Vader's foot?
Paul had the right idea

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I found the advice towards the end with the last reader question hitting really close to home. I'm a writer and aspiring filmmaker and it was encouraging to hear people say openly that what you're going to make early on is bad. I've had professors tell me that if what I was making didn't meet a certain standard to just find something else to do. I was always afraid of something being perceived as "bad" and to this day I still have a confidence issue with anything I write/create because I was taught with that mentality.

Love the podcast, I listen to each one at least twice. Good, good stuff.

I'm a little disappointed my question I emailed didn't get answered, but it didn't really flow with the conversation and the topics you guys were covering so I guess that's ok. Maybe next time.

Tianelm

Feb 4, 2011
Hey, hey, now, fondant-covered cakes are perfectly edible. Well, in my experience both dipping and rolling fondant are exceedingly sweet to the point of being pretty gross, but if it's applied in a thin enough layer and flavoured it can be at least passable. Rolling fondant won't stick to the cake itself anyway (since it's too dry) and has to be stuck on with a more traditional type of icing, so for those who really hate it you can just peel it off and get at a more traditional cake underneath. The somewhat famous/common concept of the dipped-fondant-enrobed petit four cakes (with the little silver or gold balls on top, naturally) do tend to be pretty unpleasant on average though.

Worst case scenario it's still better than having to eat a lard statue though, eh? I had to make a few of those in college and I'd have to imagine they taste *considerably* worse than any kind of fondant, especially since the lard used in them is often of questionable quality.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
On the D&D stuff, My DM makes our campaign all about our characters. He has us come up with all our backstories and our own history, throws us together, and puts us through his world, where a lot of our backstory come back to that character. For instance, in our current campaign, our half orc is a barbarian who is CONSTANTLY drunk and ran a tavern in the town we started out in. Well turns out he had one EPIC night where he ended up joining the cult of Orcas, the Temple of Kord, and knocked up an orc chieftess. The rest of us did not know this until we got ambushed in the woods by a bunch of heavily armored, well equipped orcs. It makes the group really tight nit because we are constantly trying to find more and more about the characters we created, and lends a lot of fun to the night.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
You guys measure butter in tablespoons? That's seriously weird. In the UK we measure it by weight rather than volume.

How do you measure other baking ingredients like flour? Most of the recipe books I've seen measure by weight, but the US recipes I see on the internet measure by volume. Is this a more general difference in approach or is it just a butter/baking thing?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Rblade said:
on terrible movies. Jurasic park 3 was a smoking pile of *@$#.

that movie was completely rediculous and broke all tension that made the first movie great in the first 5 minutes in broad daylight setting. And the worse part is that it's kind of hard to make such a terrible movie with the source material

dinosaurs.... that stuff writes itself
I found that movie hilarious.
Jurassic Park 2 is my favourite of that series, though. They are all silly, but that one wasn't as silly as the third, and had that lovely idea of an island where dinosaurs live!

It's fantasy, basically.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
James Bowe said:
You guys measure butter in tablespoons? That's seriously weird. In the UK we measure it by weight rather than volume.

How do you measure other baking ingredients like flour? Most of the recipe books I've seen measure by weight, but the US recipes I see on the internet measure by volume. Is this a more general difference in approach or is it just a butter/baking thing?
For most ingredients it really doesn't matter, though yeah some things like flour should really be measured by weight as it can settle and compact.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Slycne said:
James Bowe said:

For most ingredients it really doesn't matter, though yeah some things like flour should really be measured by weight as it can settle and compact.
I'm from the deep south, and I've never seen my mom or my grandma (and yes I call her my Mema) use a measuring cup for anything. If I hadn't bought any for when I was learning how to cook I don't think my mom would have any to this day. They just sorta eyeball everything. I've literally seen some of the recipe cards my grandma gave my mom say "handful" as a measurement.

But the food is always great. Never fails.

Barret268

Mar 19, 2009
Great Podcast.

Could you talk abot the ACTA thing a bit in your next Podcast? What it is etc. Just to check if i have all the facts right.

P.S. Dammit, all this talk of cake made me want one so hard i actually made one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
James Bowe said:

Proper baking, the kind pastry chefs do, is by weight, but you can get by measuring by volume.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Cake art is fun! I'm a crafter/artist who likes to dabble in everything, and food art presents a unique challenge. I've done some completely edible and fun baked stuff though.

Does cheesecake count for you, Susan?

Also, if anyone needs a fondant substitute for small bits for accents that are TASTY and easily colorable, hit me up and I'll go find it. :)

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
20:00 Don't forget Top Secret, Val was great in that.

42:00 Mmmm, cellular peptide cake. With mint frosting.

53:00 Contrary to popular belief, we here in Colorado don't drive to work on snowmobiles and aren't all rich enough to live in ski towns.