Escapist Podcast: 030: 2012 Films, Megaupload & Cake

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Also...maybe it is just me, but how is Duff Goldman a douche? I don't see it. He always seemed like a cool dude in the show.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hulyen said:
Cake art is fun! I'm a crafter/artist who likes to dabble in everything, and food art presents a unique challenge. I've done some completely edible and fun baked stuff though.

Does cheesecake count for you, Susan?

Also, if anyone needs a fondant substitute for small bits for accents that are TASTY and easily colorable, hit me up and I'll go find it. :)
I cannot possibly have an opinion until it is in my face. Nommmm...

:)

I love a good cheesecake, but I personally prefer the really dense ones that practically crumble, as opposed to the smoother, creamier ones.

Tianelm said:
Hey, hey, now, fondant-covered cakes are perfectly edible. Well, in my experience both dipping and rolling fondant are exceedingly sweet to the point of being pretty gross, but if it's applied in a thin enough layer and flavoured it can be at least passable. Rolling fondant won't stick to the cake itself anyway (since it's too dry) and has to be stuck on with a more traditional type of icing, so for those who really hate it you can just peel it off and get at a more traditional cake underneath. The somewhat famous/common concept of the dipped-fondant-enrobed petit four cakes (with the little silver or gold balls on top, naturally) do tend to be pretty unpleasant on average though.

Worst case scenario it's still better than having to eat a lard statue though, eh? I had to make a few of those in college and I'd have to imagine they taste *considerably* worse than any kind of fondant, especially since the lard used in them is often of questionable quality.
We said fondant was edible...just gross. I'm not sure what you mean by "lard statue" - you mean like butter sculpture? I don't know that anyone ever actually eats those.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Endocrom said:
53:00 Contrary to popular belief, we here in Colorado don't drive to work on snowmobiles and aren't all rich enough to live in ski towns.
That's a lie. It's snowy here. Really snowy. Like, all winter there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and it only melts around July or August. Don't move here, especially if you're from California or Texas. You'll hate it. ;)

Tianelm

Feb 4, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
We said fondant was edible...just gross. I'm not sure what you mean by "lard statue" - you mean like butter sculpture? I don't know that anyone ever actually eats those.
Sorry, my mistake on the lack of clarity. In my head I was thinking of edible as 'something you'd want to eat' as opposed to 'something you can eat', fondant just needs to be properly handled and flavoured to mitigate the poor taste and texture.

By lard statues I mean like a butter statue but made out of lard and a lot less palatable. You're not supposed to eat them but I could easily see a customer thinking it was butter and spreading a chunk onto a croissant only to be unpleasantly surprised.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tianelm said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sorry, my mistake on the lack of clarity. In my head I was thinking of edible as 'something you'd want to eat' as opposed to 'something you can eat', fondant just needs to be properly handled and flavoured to mitigate the poor taste and texture.

By lard statues I mean like a butter statue but made out of lard and a lot less palatable. You're not supposed to eat them but I could easily see a customer thinking it was butter and spreading a chunk onto a croissant only to be unpleasantly surprised.
Oh, yurp...that sounds dreadful! Never seen a lard statue, and yes, fondant would definitely be preferable to that. Gah.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

I love a good cheesecake, but I personally prefer the really dense ones that practically crumble, as opposed to the smoother, creamier ones.
It was such a dense recipe that I omitted the top fudge layer it suggested. It also taught me to look harder at the grocery store for cookie crumbs instead of hand crushing a ton of oreos. I had blisters from this cheesecake, lol!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hulyen said:
Susan Arendt said:

It was such a dense recipe that I omitted the top fudge layer it suggested. It also taught me to look harder at the grocery store for cookie crumbs instead of hand crushing a ton of oreos. I had blisters from this cheesecake, lol!
Put cookies in Ziploc bag. Apply rolling pin to bag. That's how I handle the graham cracker crust for my cheesecake. :) (My husband can't eat wheat, so I have to first get gluten-free graham crackers, then crumble them for the crust. Bit of a hassle, but it's worth it for the cheesecake.)

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Hulyen said:
Susan Arendt said:

Put cookies in Ziploc bag. Apply rolling pin to bag. That's how I handle the graham cracker crust for my cheesecake. :) (My husband can't eat wheat, so I have to first get gluten-free graham crackers, then crumble them for the crust. Bit of a hassle, but it's worth it for the cheesecake.)
Yeah, that and a stick blender. All these handy tips I never knew existed until I did it the hard way! And delicious baked goods are ALWAYS worth it!

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
All the file hosting sites are down. Looks like the US government has successfully coerced the western file hosts to bend to its will. But hopefully file hosts from China, Russia, Venezuela and other countries will take over. This kind of back room deals are what Anonymous is fighting, support Anonymous.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Just caught up on the podkitteh. Im sure there was a comment I wanted to make about something, but I cant remember now because Im too busy nodding in agreement with the last discussion on the "getting into the industry" discussion.

That was much more well thought out and coherent than should be allowed on this podcast :p

Also: Weight is by far the best measurement for cooking. As a non-american, this is blindingly obvious. Just try looking up the different measurements for "1 cup" some time. And then try figuring out which one of those "1 cup" measurements should be used, based on nothing but a context-less post on a random interwebs cooking site.

Suboptimal

Apr 8, 2011
You can find some cakes on - http://www.gourmetgaming.co.uk/ - But the rest of the food there is also great.

Theta

Apr 19, 2009
I related to Ceasar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes a hellalot more than I ever related to Shia la Boeufs dumb face in two Transformer movies. Two, because I couldn't force myself to go see the third one.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I liked how they kept talking about fighting robots not able to be a success but the movie "Real Steel" was exactly that..it was basically rockemsockem robots and it made money

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Also for clarification. Omicron is the planet Lyr on Futurama. Unicron is the planet that eats planets.

Theta

Apr 19, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Also for clarification. Omicron is the planet Lyr on Futurama. Unicron is the planet that eats planets.
I barely managed to keep myself from shouting at the screen when I heard this part in the podcast.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Theta said:
bdcjacko said:
I barely managed to keep myself from shouting at the screen when I heard this part in the podcast.
Transformers is my jam. I tend to use starscream and unicron for my forum avatars. So that sat with me all wrong.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
The Escapist Staff said:
030: 2012 Films, Megaupload & Cake
It's Kah-tee-ah, by the way. It's Russian for Katherine. Like the game. But I'm not Russian. I'm actually used to people not knowing how to pronounce my name properly.
Yes, it is I. ;/

Thanks so much for answering my question! I seriously didn't think you guys would read my question. "They probably get tons and tons of questions per week!", I though. But seriously, that really-explicit answer you gave me was more than awesome. It made my day. Yeah, maybe my life isn't that exciting...

I can honestly say I got a new drive now. I DO have tons of ideas for good games, and my goal was to get a couple of games/ideas under my belt before I get to that one big idea I have in mind. My friends who are part of that game development team are good and probably know much more than I do about putting a game together, but I suppose having at least a project of my own is a good idea.

I was worried I needed to go to an Art Institute or something like that because of my very limited knowledge about Game Design. The main thing that stops me for going there is that, well, I don't have the money to go. But like I said, your answer really helped me out. I can now focus on my art a bit more and with less stress.
By the way, I do LOVE video games. That's what motivates me to draw, most of the time. And you're right; if this is the career I want to pursue, I should keep at it. I'm sure a door will open eventually.

Once again, thanks so much for helping me out with that. I'm at that point in my life where I feel like I can do a million things but I don't know where to start. But THIS helped me out a lot. Heck, it was more helpful than what the school counselors have told me.

You guys are the best. Susan, when I grow up, I wanna be just like you (I'm 24, but whatever...You got my name right!). I wouldn't mind become a game journalist either, and seeing a woman succeed in the industry is truly inspiring. It makes me ask myself "Why wouldn't I be able to do the same?".

Anyway, I digress. Thanks once again and keep it up! ;]

PS: I am seriously surprised there were no The Cake is a Lie jokes!