Escapist Podcast: 034: Mass Effect 3 DLC & PS Vita

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Another good question.

How about bringing back an old TV show?

I loved Arrested Development, but I am very wary with its resurrection and movie.

I used to like Futurama and Family Guy, but can?t stand the newer stuff. I guess it?s just unrealistic to have the same writers after several years off the air.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
I actually just saw the episode of The Office where Michael left (we're a little behind in Europe), so apparently I have a boatload of sucky episodes to look forward to now?

Aity

Jan 26, 2012
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Great podcast, especially the pee theory. :)

And I agree, I wish Susan was there for this theory's unleashing. Would have loved her commentary on that.

Speaking of which, I hope she's feeling better.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
Do all americans assume that their money is worth 100 times as much as every other currency in the world? Maybe some of them know that the british pound and the Euro has always been significantly more than the dollar?

I hope this cast gets better as 15 minutes in I am pretty bored.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Nah its just an old joke to make fun of the Canadian dollar cause it used to be worth near half of the American dollar.

Well and its called a loonie.

Jokes on them though, our dollar tends to be worth more than their these days.

And I hear they are adopting coloured money, cause it just makes sense.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
I too was a little disappointed by the lack of talk about Mass Effect 3, but I can see why there wasn't too much discussion about it. To paraphrase Justin: it's just a retread of old arguments. One of the early podcasts when Russ was still around really covers the DLC issue quite well, so there's no need to repeat that stuff.

I still think you people should do bonus podcasts about Mass Effect 3 the same way you've done ones for The Old Republic. I know for sure that Steve, Justin, and Susan are very familiar with the series, so it would be possible.

The journey man

Webcomic Aficionado
Jun 18, 2011
I definitely rather a TV/Game series die young then to see it lose what made it so good in the first place. As it stands I can not get myself to get as excited for a third-installment of a game series as I was for the 2nd. Example: I'm still going to get Mass Effect 3 but I don't have the same spark of excitment I had for Mass Effect 2 for 3.

Makes me wonder how I'll feel if 4A announces a new Metro game after Last Light. Will I be as excited for it as I am for Last Light?

Also awesome pee theory Steve!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
DRESDEN FILES WAS MENTIONED!!!!!

Nothing else matters.

I love you for knowing of the Dresden Files.

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Pee theory... I like it.

This has to be one of my favourite podcasts you guys have done. I got many a strange look from bursting out laughing on the train.

Susan, hope you're well soon and bringing us news of a crazy new DS game before long.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Also, anyone remember the intro to Buck Rogers? See if you can find it on YouTube. Hilarious.
Thanks for bringing back those memories. I'll return the favor, Manimal and Automan.

Wulfsten

Nov 18, 2010
To be honest, guys, not a great podcast.

You spent the first 30 minutes or so vaguely talking about your Napoleon game, which we have no real way of understanding given that we don't know the situation, the players, or the game state at all. Once in a while you remembered that people were listening and dribbled out a little bit of context, but it wasn't enough to make me feel included in the discussion in any way.

The other tangents (TV shows, the pee theory) were better, but not particularly enthralling. The only small mercy was Susan Arendt's absence. I'm sure she would've been utterly insufferable had she been present for that discussion.

Overall, I think you need to focus more in your podcasts and discuss more actual content. I may be part of the minority here, but one of the main reasons I listen to podcasts is to hear professionals in the video game industry discuss the big issues affecting the industry. Not to hear a bunch of guys who seem pretty cool shoot the shit. I've got my own friends for that.

I don't mind quite a bit of rambling and banter to make the atmosphere feel comfortable and funny, but I think you guys went a bit overboard this time.

See you next week!

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
As someone who STOPPED playing console games due to the prevalence of analog sticks, I really hope the PS Vita will be the revolution I've been looking for.

The touchscreen on the back could easily serve as a way to move crosshairs in shooters, instead of the stupid carnival claw motion of the analog stick which drove me to PC gaming.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Rassmusseum said:
I still think you people should do bonus podcasts about Mass Effect 3 the same way you've done ones for The Old Republic. I know for sure that Steve, Justin, and Susan are very familiar with the series, so it would be possible.
We actually have a bonus episode about our time with the Mass Effect 3 demo, specifically the multiplayer, going up a little later today, and I could certainly see us doing more bonus episodes on Mass Effect 3 if we can figure out a good way to avoid spoilers with each other.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
Wow, that's awesome news! I guess I hadn't realized that you guys will probably end up playing the game at different rates (whoever's doing the review has already started I'd guess), but I'm glad to hear that you're considering it!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Rassmusseum said:
I still think you people should do bonus podcasts about Mass Effect 3 the same way you've done ones for The Old Republic.
I just want to say I misread that as "bogus" and thought that would be the best troll ever. 30 minutes of fake spoilers!

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I just wanted to say that I'm so psyched that there's another podcast. After it not airing for two weeks I was beginning to get worried. Also, I love that there was a shout-out for Advanced Wars. I just love both the aesthetics and mechanics of that game, making it my favourtie digital strategy game around.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Wulfsten said:
The only small mercy was Susan Arendt's absence.
That's twice in a row you've complained about her, and having read through comments on past podcasts, I think you're pretty much alone in your hatred.

"Fire Susan" isn't constructive criticism; I don't see how it does anything but detract from the degree to which people can take your posts seriously.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Pee theory: When monkeys are given hum an toys, the females play with both equally, while the males prefer kinetic sort of toys like trucks.

But I'm not quite convinced that the male interest with movement comes from our superior peeing equipment, as much as from our significant lack of lactating and pregnancies, which led us to being the good-at-stabbing part of the species.

This cultural divide obviously generated gender roles that went far beyond genetics when, well... when, culture actually became more than us just the rules of how not to become extinct.

[sub]...I hope everyone actually realizes this, and you were just... taking the piss.[/sub]

EDIT: First source that google gave me: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13596-male-monkeys-prefer-boys-toys.html

Mass Effect: I also have the silly urge to throw my snowflake of an opinion to the raging blizzard that is Mass Effect bickering, because... that's what we do here, right?
First off, the thing that I haven't seen mentioned amongst all the obvious DLC hate: This character just shouldn't exist, IMO.
I mean, either none of the protheans survived or a bunch of them did. 'Cause if there's a chance to survive, then... the Universe is fucking big.

And what I fear even more is some amnesia bullshit. I suppose a clone could work, but even that seems a bit tacky.

...also makes my Hanar-are-Prothean-decendant-type-thingies-theory a little less likely.
Now on the integrity issue of this DLC: making a product as good as possible.

1) I'm sure the people actually making this game want to deliver the best possible product on release-day, in a single package.

2) That's what you should try to do, morally speaking.

3) The companies that strive for that are the ones that will get the finite amount of money I have for games.*

It's fine to have your game-breaking-bonus-weapons and fourth-wall-breaking-hoodies and silly robodogs. They don't necessarily make the game better.
Soundtracs and RL junk are encouraged in collectors editions. I love that shit.
It's even fine to make non-free DLC for later release(though DLC=free, expansion packs=/=free, is how it should be).

No, I'm not saying that companies that wish to make as much money as possible are evil beings to be burned at the stake. Yes, not adding content when you could, is not trying to make the best possible product(unless of course, the content is shit, in which case: why are you selling shit to me?). No, I'm not fucking saying I'm entitled to the best possible product. I'm saying that the companies that want to give the best possible product to their customers, are the ones I like.

And when the company that made KotOR and Mass Effect 1 become just another company for me, I become sad, and I go rant on the internet.

*[sub]Totally daddies money; haven't worked a day in my life. But you know, in principle.[/sub]

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
As for the actual content of the podcast:

In the Terminator series, Skynet's takeover is deemed to be inevitable; every time someone "prevents Skynet", it just delays Judgment Day.

My girlfriend loves throwing stuff away to get rid of clutter, so when we're cleaning up, I actually feel bad if I tell her that I want to hang on to something, but can't give a good reason why. She has to keep reminding me that I can hang on to things if I want, but that I just need to make a decision.

I stopped watching The Office when Jim and Pam got married. That was it for me. I saw that it was going downhill, and I figured that was a good time to stop.

I agree with Steve about the X-Files; I much prefer the one-off episodes -- the one with the planned community where people are killed for violating the home owners' association rules (for instance, when Mulder put his basketball hoop outside) is one of my favorites. I also like the temporal-loop episode where Mulder keeps getting blown up in a bank robbery.