Escapist Podcast: 040: PAX & Star Wars Kinect

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
blackrave said:
Yeah, I totally understand Susan's comment on new Dr.Who fans
I played The Elder Scrolls back in Morrowind days
And only thing I regret is not being born earlier to play Daggerfall (I had to catch up later)
So when people now considers themselves veteran TES fans, because they previously played Oblivion...
AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
It SOOO pisses me off.
Newsflash! You're not! Because if you'll check disc case of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, there is number four in it. That means there were at least 3 other games before Oblivion. Finish at least TES3:Morrowind and then we'll speak. And before making stupid assumptions or asking stupid questions read UESP (all of it) and all in-game books.
I know, I know, I sound like an old hipster, but I still remember the countless "we wantz dwarves in Skyrim" posts (when TES5 was still in development) that talked about stereotypical Tolkien and D&D dwarves, without any understanding of who and what were Dwemer (basically Dwemer was/are as much dwarves, as human miners are gnomes). And that's only one example.
Oh my gosh, that completely voices my view on the so-called "veterans" of the Elder Scrolls. I've been playing since Arena (yes, I'm older, 'nuff said), and it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like to think I'm a snobbish purist (and in fact, I like each and every installment of the series, they all have strengths and weaknesses), but it just annoys me. And anyone that says "moar dwarves" needs to be severely punished. Why can't people read up on the lore before making asinine comments?

Great podcast. The first part about PAX certainly left a warm, fuzzy feeling, I simply need to go one of these days. Susan has convinced me, I'm willing to risk the PAX plague and take vacation days to go one day (2013 won't be doable, but who know, 2014's a nice, round number).

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Eleima said:
Oh my gosh, that completely voices my view on the so-called "veterans" of the Elder Scrolls. I've been playing since Arena (yes, I'm older, 'nuff said), and it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like to think I'm a snobbish purist (and in fact, I like each and every installment of the series, they all have strengths and weaknesses), but it just annoys me. And anyone that says "moar dwarves" needs to be severely punished. Why can't people read up on the lore before making asinine comments?

Great podcast. The first part about PAX certainly left a warm, fuzzy feeling, I simply need to go one of these days. Susan has convinced me, I'm willing to risk the PAX plague and take vacation days to go one day (2013 won't be doable, but who know, 2014's a nice, round number).
Good to meet fellow TES fan here, especially elder ;)

Anyway, can someone explain me what's up with peanut butter-jelly sandwiches?
At this point I think it is only american trait, because I tried it and it was meh.
I personally prefer apple-cinnamon-curd sandwiches (less sugars and fats, and more protein)
But it might be just me, because I'm one of those strange people who likes black chocolate infused with mint :/

Eleima

Feb 21, 2010
blackrave said:
At this point I think it is only american trait, because I tried it and it was meh.
I personally prefer apple-cinnamon-curd sandwiches (less sugars and fats, and more protein)
But it might be just me, because I'm one of those strange people who likes black chocolate infused with mint :/
Yeah, you probably need to have grown up with it to get it. Although I'm probably gonna get stoned for saying that I like my PB n' J without jelly... Gasp!!!! But I loooooove peanut butter, I miss it so much! Although it's probably just as well, don't want to pack the pounds! XD
I have to agree with Susan, though, the cookies are always better when they're soft. I'd kill for a soft baked Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chunk cookie.......... Yummmm........

And look, you guys covered Star Wars, food, and we talked about the Elder Scrolls. Yup, podcast's authentic!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
blackrave said:
Eleima said:

Good to meet fellow TES fan here, especially elder ;)

If the first time you have PB&J is as an adult, then yes, you'll likely find it a little gross. It's really sugary, and not everyone uses the same kind of jelly. I grew up using grape jelly, for example, but now prefer blackberry. I know people who swear by strawberry, but I don't care for that at all. The jelly part of peanut butter & jelly is very much a matter of personal taste.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Who cares when anyone started playing dr who or watching elder scrolls? Why get all elitiest about when you started enjoying a franchise? Do noobs to a series really hinder your enjoyment of it?

Of course the only time it bothers me is when a series has been cancelled and a million people start claiming to like it a year or two later with no hope of it being revived, unless of course it was family guy, but that was a fluke.

Eleima

Feb 21, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Who cares when anyone started playing dr who or watching elder scrolls? Why get all elitiest about when you started enjoying a franchise? Do noobs to a series really hinder your enjoyment of it?

Of course the only time it bothers me is when a series has been cancelled and a million people start claiming to like it a year or two later with no hope of it being revived, unless of course it was family guy, but that was a fluke.
You're missing the point. Of course it doesn't matter per se, and of course it doesn't hinder our enjoyment. Just don't pretend to be a veteran when you're not, that's all we're saying. I watched Firefly for the first time last year, adored it, but I'm not claiming to be a fan since day one, that would be a lie. Don't misrepresent yourself, that's all.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Eleima said:
Yeah, you probably need to have grown up with it to get it. Although I'm probably gonna get stoned for saying that I like my PB n' J without jelly... Gasp!!!! But I loooooove peanut butter, I miss it so much! Although it's probably just as well, don't want to pack the pounds! XD
I have to agree with Susan, though, the cookies are always better when they're soft. I'd kill for a soft baked Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chunk cookie.......... Yummmm........

And look, you guys covered Star Wars, food, and we talked about the Elder Scrolls. Yup, podcast's authentic!
Susan Arendt said:
If the first time you have PB&J is as an adult, then yes, you'll likely find it a little gross. It's really sugary, and not everyone uses the same kind of jelly. I grew up using grape jelly, for example, but now prefer blackberry. I know people who swear by strawberry, but I don't care for that at all. The jelly part of peanut butter & jelly is very much a matter of personal taste.
Yes, I didn't grew up with it, but I'm really trying to like things I never ate at my childhood
Also I used orange jelly (I figured that sour taste would balance sweet taste of p.butter), so maybe I should try grape or blackberry jelly (what about black currant jelly?)
I found grilled p.butter-jelly sandwich recipe, should I try it? Does grilling improves taste or it simply makes it different?

P.S. Sorry for asking these questions, but I really want to figure out what's so great about p.butter-jelly sandwich and do I like it or not.

bdcjacko said:
It matters when new game is in development and these "veterans" act like they have been playing series for decades. It scares those fans who knows what they are talking about. Because developers might listen to "veterans" who flood official forums with dumb requests and suggestions. Luckily Bethesda is better than that :)

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Eleima said:
bdcjacko said:

You're missing the point. Of course it doesn't matter per se, and of course it doesn't hinder our enjoyment. Just don't pretend to be a veteran when you're not, that's all we're saying. I watched Firefly for the first time last year, adored it, but I'm not claiming to be a fan since day one, that would be a lie. Don't misrepresent yourself, that's all.
blackrave said:
bdcjacko said:
It matters when new game is in development and these "veterans" act like they have been playing series for decades. It scares those fans who knows what they are talking about. Because developers might listen to "veterans" who flood official forums with dumb requests and suggestions. Luckily Bethesda is better than that :)
I guess I just don't care if someone want to call themselves a veteran, even if they aren't.

Eleima

Feb 21, 2010
blackrave said:
Yes, I didn't grew up with it, but I'm really trying to like things I never ate at my childhood
Also I used orange jelly (I figured that sour taste would balance sweet taste of p.butter), so maybe I should try grape or blackberry jelly (what about black currant jelly?)
I found grilled p.butter-jelly sandwich recipe, should I try it? Does grilling improves taste or it simply makes it different?
P.S. Sorry for asking these questions, but I really want to figure out what's so great about p.butter-jelly sandwich and do I like it or not.
I'm guessing it's a matter of taste, really. I personally don't like my bread toasted with peanut butter, but really, it's subjective. Honestly, if I get my hands on one, I'm capable of eating it right out of the jar.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
blackrave said:
Eleima said:

Susan Arendt said:

Well, I think you might want to try going for tart, as opposed to sweet, and the grape or blackberry would suit that well. It really all comes down to personal taste - some people swear by creamy peanut butter, others only want chunky, for example. And then there's the whole bread thing.

I wouldn't grill it, though, were I you. Start with your basic PB&J and see if you enjoy that at all. If not, adding heat really isn't going to help it.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Eleima said:
I'm guessing it's a matter of taste, really. I personally don't like my bread toasted with peanut butter, but really, it's subjective. Honestly, if I get my hands on one, I'm capable of eating it right out of the jar.
Susan Arendt said:
Well, I think you might want to try going for tart, as opposed to sweet, and the grape or blackberry would suit that well. It really all comes down to personal taste - some people swear by creamy peanut butter, others only want chunky, for example. And then there's the whole bread thing.

I wouldn't grill it, though, were I you. Start with your basic PB&J and see if you enjoy that at all. If not, adding heat really isn't going to help it.
Thank you for advices, now time for cooking (although I'm not sure that without thermal interference you can call it cooking)

And I noticed one thing- I barely touched topics of podcast
So here we go
PAX- never been (I'm living across world) and I'm not sure I ever want to attend to PAX (I have slight fear of crowds). But sounds fun.
Star Wars Kinnect- 0 (not a big fan of SW or Kinnect)
In defense of Phil Fish, >=50% japanese-specific games do suck (especially from european point of view), but maybe it could be said better (although I never heard what exactly he said)
Now heavy stuff- I may sound as horrible person, but if you commit suicide because some unknown/irrelevant person over internet trolled you, you deserve it. So if you are one of those please join some therapy or something, because you most probably can't live in real world :(

And lastly- Aliens is great, but from that particular period of time one movie is better- Robocop. But unlike Aliens, Robocop was later ruined by family series, kids shows, etc. Sadly :(

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
I doubt anyone will ever look at this, but I tend to divide famous people into two categories (not literally):

What I think of their personal stature
What I think of their professional demeanor

example: I think Michael Jackson was a strange, troubled man at the end, but he made some great music. I respect his music, but no one can make me think he was a better man posthumously.